Celebrity CEO gets prestigious Vall Kill award

hvsteve1

CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo received the Eleanor Roosevelt Vall-Kill medal in Hyde Park, NY over the weekend.  This was the 19th year the medal has been awarded.  Lutoff-Perlo was given the medal as a "Gender Barriers Disruptor/Equality and Diversity Promoter" for her work to increase the number of women in leadership positions on Celebrity ships and her work in other organizations.  Her award was presented by Captain Kate McCue.  Among others receiving medals were Chelsea Clinton and Zainab Salbi, a TV host and founder of Women for Women International.  Prior recipients include Helen Hayes, Ed Asner, Christopher Reeve and Queen Noor of Jordan.

Read the story here: https://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/news/local/2019/10/13/hillary-clinton-presents-eleanor-roosevelt-val-kill-medal-chelsea-clinton/3928019002/ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

I thought the real question is: Where's Capt. Kate?

I'm glad the lady got the award. Now, let's move along.

Congratulations on the award. This forum is becoming more about the CEO than about the cruise line. Half of the home page is dedicated to her, and now more threads. I get that she's into the increase women's roles initiative, and loves to also promote Captain Kate as her banner waver, but enough already.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Captain Kate as her banner waver, but enough already.

About fifty years ago I had the honor of training the first female (lady) police officer at my agency. Now awards are being given for a female captain for this cruise line. Yes, it's really old news and it gets older with each day.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Congratulations on the award. This forum is becoming more about the CEO than about the cruise line. Half of the home page is dedicated to her, and now more threads. I get that she's into the increase women's roles initiative, and loves to also promote Captain Kate as her banner waver, but enough already.

Ya. Congratulations. Now can we please take all the LLP stuff off the top of this forum and get back to cruising. As Luvcrusn has said "enough already".

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

About fifty years ago I had the honor of training the first female (lady) police officer at my agency. Now awards are being given for a female captain for this cruise line. Yes, it's really old news and it gets older with each day.

Same here and almost 50 years ago my wife became the first female officer in our agency. Now she’s retired. Like you said old news.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, morfred said:

Ya. Congratulations. Now can we please take all the LLP stuff off the top of this forum and get back to cruising. As Luvcrusn has said "enough already".

I agree but many are blaming her for some of the negative things on the ships, as an example the nickel and diming going on and loss of perks.

33 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Sometimes it is ok to be gracious on these boards.  The news of this award was not hyped by Celebrity Cruises as far as I can tell.  It was a news item posted by a member here.  

Agreed. However maybe it's because many of us saw it all over that social media site that we can't name here  posted by X. Also LLP seems generally to be at least resented and at most disliked by many long time X cruisers. Many see her as being responsible  for many changes that aren't popular aboard X.

2 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Agreed. However maybe it's because many of us saw it all over that social media site that we can't name here  posted by X. Also LLP seems generally to be at least resented and at most disliked by many long time X cruisers. Many see her as being responsible  for many changes that aren't popular aboard X.

Yes I am aware of the animosity by some against LLP.  Lots of folks have their valid reasons.  I do not follow that other popular social media site so I am uninformed about any Celebrity hype there.  But I interpreted perhaps incorrectly that some of the comments were directed toward the OP for posting this.  And some resentment toward women's empowerment in the workplace which this award represents.  As a dad of a young adult daughter trying to move her career forward in a male-dominated sector, I see what she deals with sometimes and I appreciate these types of foundations such as ERVK doing what they can.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes I am aware of the animosity by some against LLP.  Lots of folks have their valid reasons.  I do not follow that other popular social media site so I am uninformed about any Celebrity hype there.  But I interpreted perhaps incorrectly that some of the comments were directed toward the OP for posting this.  And some resentment toward women's empowerment in the workplace which this award represents.  As a dad of a young adult daughter trying to move her career forward in a male-dominated sector, I see what she deals with sometimes and I appreciate these types of foundations such as ERVK doing what they can.

As a woman I am keenly aware of the struggles many, if not most women share and I applaud those who recognize those struggles and strive to level the playing field. I think that the backlash shown towards her here and on these boards in general is caused more because of the negative perception of her X changes and cutbacks than her activities for #crewupwithwomen initiatives. There is alot of self-aggrandizment by LLP that is also resented by many.

Thank you for recognizing the struggles your daughters and other women face. Many don't see it. Keep up that support, I'm sure your daughters love and appreciate you all the more for it.

Edited by Luvcrusn
Addition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very proud of LLP and her accomplishments. She's earned every accolade she gets. After spending 31 years at Celebrity/RCCL shes more qualified as a CEO than anyone else in the company/industry. I remember meeting her ~15-20 years ago when she was onboard revenue manager at the corporate office, and her mentioning starting as sales manager for the Northeast US. Done every job in the company from maritime/sales/hotel and launching 2 classes of ships w RCCL and X

Maybe people aren't happy with her empowerment for women in the company, and encouraging women to  work towards leadership position like she has.i think it's amazing to see women take some of the leadership roles. I think it's awesome to see 20% of maritime /engineering/bridge officers will be women.  

I think it's pretty sad when people assume she somehow got the job because  she's a woman. 

Empowerment and respect for all guests and teams onboard and ashore are bigger than any awards she gets. 

I'm all for criticism of anyone when it's deserved, but when it's all gossipy you lose credibility "I hear that the crew......" 

As far as nickel and diming going on and loss of perks, I can't think of one hotel chain, cruise line or airline that hasn't cut back. I wish I could still fly TWA out of JFK with punchbowl sized bowls of fresh shrimp in the lounge, but these days I'm grateful to get 2 oz of pretzels on a 3 hour jet blue flight 

Times change and so does travel, if it doesn't it goes out of business. 

Congrats to LLP, she certainly deserves the Eleanor Roosevelt leadership award. Leadership takes courage, innovation and a ton of hard work, and that personifies LLP. She talks to talk, but also walks the walk.

Edited by johhnnyt
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I don't think that the negativity toward LPP has anything to do with her sex, but with some of the decisions she has made, and is making. Some of which, like the movies, has left X with egg on their faces. Another decision that I strongly disagree with is having only the Edge class ships for 7 day Caribbean cruises in for next year, That leaves no choices. I'm talking about from Florida. I can go into pricing, but that's a whole new can of worms.

• Like 1

So honest question...

If you who are posting here are that unhappy with her decisions, why do you continue to cruise Celebrity? I don't care how much I like a particular product, if the CEO is making decisions or supporting things I don't agree with, I take my business elsewhere. I don't keep it there and just whine about it. As long as people who are whining and complaining are continuing to cruise with Celebrity, no one is going to see an issue. Money does talk - sometimes it takes a while, but it does.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

It seems that no matter who takes the reigns at X, after awhile they end up being criticized for the changes they make during their time as CEO. Before LLP it was  Michael Bayley.

Should have been around when Celebrity was acquired by Royal, everything was blamed on Royal, legitimate or not. 

Well, sometimes CC can be a 'full contact' sport as in Rugby.... LOL

Suit up, drink up and know when the final scrum is completed, Game Over and every one, hopefully, are friends.

bon voyage

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

It seems that no matter who takes the reigns at X, after awhile they end up being criticized for the changes they make during their time as CEO. Before LLP it was  Michael Bayley.

What good would a CEO be if they did not lead with a vision and create changes to move the product/service forward?  and of course make money for shareholders.  That is their primary job.  Some people might not agree with the changes and vision.  It is easy to be critical if it affects your own view of the world and remember perhaps with fondness the good old days.  Then as a consumer just shop elsewhere.  I personally would not be happy with a company that just rested on past success and put a caretaker in charge to protect the old ways.  Not a formula for success in any business.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

What good would a CEO be if they did not lead with a vision and create changes to move the product/service forward?  and of course make money for shareholders.  That is their primary job.  Some people might not agree with the changes and vision.  It is easy to be critical if it affects your own view of the world and remember perhaps with fondness the good old days.  Then as a consumer just shop elsewhere.  I personally would not be happy with a company that just rested on past success and put a caretaker in charge to protect the old ways.  Not a formula for success in any business.

I hope you didn’t think I was being critical, I was just making an observation.

I happen to agree with you. 

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

You are right, the companies we all remember with  fondness and the good old days like the Polaroids, Compaqs, Timex, Pan Am, General Foods, Borders, Howard Johnsons, Sears, etc  that used to dominate their fields chose to stay where they were rather than innovate and move forward. In many cases they were swept under the rug by the competition, and/or no longer exist. 

• Thanks 1