Air Transat extra baggage allowance from the UK?

only1armband

Hi all,

After receiving tremendous advice from cruisecritic members, I have booked an Alaska cruise with 1 night  hotel stay before sailing with Celebrity. I booked the cruise via a Cruise agency and on my guest invoice I will be flying direct from London Gatwick to Vancouver. My agency inform me that Air Transat will allow 1 x check baggage of 23kg per person, however when browsing the Airline's website I came across a policy giving each cruiser an additional 5kg via an Air Transat voucher.

I spoke with the agent I booked the cruise with and they referred me to Celebrity, I emailed Celebrity and they sent me a link to Air Transat help page, this did not help. I then emailed Air Transat and they just replied with a link to their baggage policy per class, but nothing regarding cruisers from Europe. I have copied the page showing Economy class with Cruise package. I can't seem to get a definitive answer if I am entitled to this extra allowance so may I ask if anyone has been 'in the same boat' when travelling with Air Transat for a celebrity cruise?

image.thumb.png.90e8af3b2a28ef51291001405188cf7e.png

Air Transit  is a  Canadian based airline with  a separate division that sells fly and cruise packages . ( They don’t sell cruises only). When I booked the package with them for Caribbean cruise the additional luggage was factored in and listed on my edocs. Did your travel agent book cruise directly with Celebrity or Air Transat Vacations?

Thanks for the quick responses much appreciated, my TA booked the flight, hotel and cruise package with Celebrity, I take it that because it's not an Air Transat package I won't be getting the additional allowances. Is the options plus with Air Transat any good? I believe I can get additional baggage allowance if I pay for that option?

31 minutes ago, only1armband said:

I believe I can get additional baggage allowance if I pay for that option?

Without Option Plus, if your booking is Economy Budget, you have to pay for first bag, max weight of 23 kg. If you are booked Economy Standard or Economy Flex, you get your first bag free, same max weight of 23 kg.

With Option Plus, you get a free first bag with all three levels, but with the same max weight of 23 kg. So, from a baggage perspective, Option Plus is only beneficial for Economy Budget passengers who now join the others with a free first bag (23 kg). Economy Standard and Economy Flex also get a free second bag with Option Plus.

As for the other potential benefits of Option Plus and whether they are worth it to you, this page has all of the details. Note that there was a change in price depending upon whether your booking was made by October 1st or on or after October 2nd:

https://www.airtransat.com/en-GB/my-booking-option-plus#privileges