Dog Sledding on Mendenhall Glacier?

RJB

Whether or not it's worth it, is entirely subjective.  Wouldn't be worth it to me as I have zero interest in dog sledding.  However I LOVE scenic flightseeing.   ie

Look on youtube under  'mendenhall dog sledding and helicopter tour.'   The videos will give a good idea of what you'll experience.

Just keep in mind that it's one of these most cancelled tours due to heavy fog.  And it gets cancelled late summer due to lack of snow at the camp.  So be sure to have a back up plan.

6 hours ago, RJB said:

A lot of money to do this tour including the helicopter.  Is it worth it?   Is it really real?   Need some input.   Thanks.  

Well if you are asking better not do it.   FWIW it was the one thing I wanted to do with my kids and my wife thought I was crazy when she saw what it would cost for 5 of us.   Well afterwards she said nothing about the cost, nor when the CC bill either.    

Here is a link to another thread here where I posted a few pictures.     Again everyone defines value differently, for us, it was worth it, fine line if it would have been worth it if it was 50 or 100 more/person.    

Would I do it again, actually would if I wasn't going to schedule the bear/salmon flight trip as the highest tour on my next one.  You only live once and $ in the bank is of little value to you then.

2 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Well if you are asking better not do it.   FWIW it was the one thing I wanted to do with my kids and my wife thought I was crazy when she saw what it would cost for 5 of us.   Well afterwards she said nothing about the cost, nor when the CC bill either.    

Here is a link to another thread here where I posted a few pictures.     Again everyone defines value differently, for us, it was worth it, fine line if it would have been worth it if it was 50 or 100 more/person.    

Would I do it again, actually would if I wasn't going to schedule the bear/salmon flight trip as the highest tour on my next one.  You only live once and $ in the bank is of little value to you then.

When did you do this? What time of year. We are looking at aug 2020 and this is top of our list 🙂

if booked in advance and it gets canceled do they refund?

1 minute ago, JjC81 said:

When did you do this? What time of year. We are looking at aug 2020 and this is top of our list 🙂

if booked in advance and it gets canceled do they refund?

If you do August beware with the warming weather they shut down the dog sledding seems by Mid August, but the glacier helicopter will continue as weather permits.

You can call the vendors but like almost all vendors weather related or other refunds are given when canceled by things out of their control.  

We did ours week of July 4th,. 

5 hours ago, chipmaster said:

The above photograph was taken by me on May 12, 2015 and posted on another CC thread.  You can find the original on my website.  The weather in Skagway was pushing 70 degrees that day and waiting to board the helicopter while wearing my snow clothing was quite steamy.

If the excursion would have been cancelled, a complete refund would have been paid.  As the weather warms in the mountains, the dogsled sites need to be moved to higher altitudes. 

On 10/15/2019 at 1:39 PM, mapleleaves said:

Whether or not it's worth it, is entirely subjective.  Wouldn't be worth it to me as I have zero interest in dog sledding.  However I LOVE scenic flightseeing.   ie

Look on youtube under  'mendenhall dog sledding and helicopter tour.'   The videos will give a good idea of what you'll experience.

Just keep in mind that it's one of these most cancelled tours due to heavy fog.  And it gets cancelled late summer due to lack of snow at the camp.  So be sure to have a back up plan.

Great video's     thanks for posting

On 10/15/2019 at 11:40 PM, Crew News said:

The weather in Skagway was pushing 70 degrees that day and waiting to board the helicopter while wearing my snow clothing was quite steamy.

So how was the temperature up on the glacier?  We are wanting to dogsled in May & are looking at gloves, etc. Also planning on using the GoPro camera but trying to decide whether to attach to wrist, head or chest.  I would think chest would have blocked views.  My concern about a wrist mount is hubby forgetting about it and we end up with lots of video of the ground or it being sideways.