Alaska in May

luvsvacations

It's a crapshoot.  I go in May every year (early...first cruise of season) and have been wet and freezing one year and getting sunburn in a t-shirt the next year.  The majority of the time it's been decent but you can never tell.  Prepare for the wet and if it's sunny...great!

Prepare for all sorts of weather from 80 to freezing. The magic word for all Alaskan visits is LAYERS. The weather there can change inside of 5 minutes. Agree with FTBLCOACH as we have also done two May cruises. I also lived in Alaska for a year and can attest to the quick changes. Have fun and be prepared. It is worth it.

We went in May two years ago and we had both sunny, warm days and cold rainy days.  You just never know.  Fortunately, Alaska is always beautiful regardless of the weather, so don't worry about it......enjoy your cruise!

We were on a 12-day Los Angeles-Alaska round trip cruise that departed on April 23.  So, technically, that was more an April cruise than a May cruise, and, as you indicate may or may not be useful for future predictions, but we needed lots of sun block on our cruise.  It wasn't necessarily hot--a jacket and a hat were adequate, most days--but you definitely had to take care of unprotected skin, and sunglasses were VERY helpful.

We took the same cruise in 2018, and it was much chillier and, mostly, overcast.

As previous posters have indicated, be prepared for anything.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, luvsvacations said:

Booked for May of next year on the Ruby.  Can anyone who was on a cruise this May tell me how the weather was.  I know it could be totally different next May, but just curious.

Thanks

when in May 2020 ? early, late ? ... Emerald Princess ?

We did mid-May this year, seven day.

I brought easy to roll up light weight fleece lined leggings with short sleeved tee shirts and a couple of fleece lined zip-up hoodies plus a light weight trench coat, scarf, knit hat and water proof gloves.  I had water proof slip on shoes and regular canvas deck shoes.

Hubby brought short sleeve button down shirts, dockers style pants, water proof slip on shoes and a medium weight water proof coat.

Since we were not planning on being in snow, we did not bring snow gear.

Juneau was about 50 some degrees and sunny when we went into port.  About an hour later, I was removing my hoodie and putting it in my back pack as it soon got to be in the mid-sixties.

Skagway was sunny and even warmer, so less than an hour of walking around the town, the hoodie was in the back pack.

Ketchikan was cold, raining and started out in the high thirties and only got to the mid-forties.  I had my hoodie on over my tee shirt, my hood up over my head and my water proof trench coat on for that walk about.

We chose to just walk the ports rather than do excursions as it was my first time ever in Alaska.

Stopping at Glacier Bay and going out on the Promenade deck to view it, I was pretty much bundled up like I was for Ketchikan.  The weather that day was a bit of rain and a lot of fog.

Yes, layers are key!  The weather can be very unpredictable.

I went this year toward the end of May on the Coral. Great weather. Warm not hot. Sunny. The only downside was when I tried to book an excursion on the train (on my own) I couldn't get to my desired location because the train wasn't running that route until June. Otherwise, no issues. You can go there any time of year and experience vastly different weather but I've been lucky both times i have gone. Not sure I should attempt it a 3rd time!

We did a 15 day connoisseur cruise tour this year. The land portion started was May 17 - May 25. The southbound cruise portion was May 25 - June 1.  I mostly wore tee shirts. Absolutely beautiful weather. The only place it was at all cold was on a fjord cruise which was "brisk" and in Glacier Bay. Even in Glacier Bay it wasn't really cold.

We did May 26th start for a 10 day out of SF this year. It was PERFECT weather. Too Perfect. lol I wore fleece leggings, waterproof hiking boots, and shirt with a fleece hoodie... but a few days I had a thermal long sleeve top that I wore and was okay with just the fleece up in the Yukon. We brought rain jackets in our bags and used them a few times when it was more misty and I did not want my fleece wet. It was the coldest going into the glacier area... I wore leggings and fleece pants and my actual big jacket, scarf, hat and gloves. lol But only while going in and out. We spent the entire time on our balcony though. 

While in the ship I was okay in my sandals and I brought a hoodie of some sort, even if it was a light weight one, so if I wanted to walk outside for the sunset, views or whatever, I would not freeze. 

It is all about layers. I had normal shoes, uggs and waterproof boots.. and sandals lol I had like 3 different types of fleece based on weight, a snow type jacket (not needed) and a rain jacket. I used my beanies a few times, gloves like once. My fleece lined leggings though I wore twice since they worked so well. 

This is at Nooya Lake in the Misty Fjords... private Float plane stop 😉 Perfect day! I had to put my white fleece on because I did not want it on my waist for all the photos. hahahaha 😉

DSC_3899 a.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, new2cruise said:

Lindaru,

Where did you get the "easy to roll up light weight fleece-lined leggings" and waterproof slip on shoes?

Gold Medal fleece lined leggings are sold in our local grocery variety store, but I have seen that brand sold on Amazon as well.

The shoes are made out of a tougher material than canvas deck (boat) shoes that is non-porous which I found at Wal-Mart.  They were purchased in early summer near where they have flip flops, canvas shoes and water sporting shoes.  These are not exactly mine but very close and saved me from having to pack my water proof hiking boots:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Slip-On-Waterproof-Sloggers-Working-Shoes-with-Molded-Arches-for-All-Day-Comfort/272711334

We went May/early June 2018 and went from Sitka to Juneau.  We started out the week with wet, cold weather (40-50 degrees and rain/mist every day multiple times a day) to sunny skies and temps in the mid/upper 50s.  Layers and  water-proof everything (depending on what you try to do.)  Prepare for wet/cold and hopefully, you will be surprised.