Hamburg Shuttle

Loops05

Hi,

Can anyone please advise on the current shuttle service from Steinwerder berth in Hamburg? We are looking at an independent tour so trying to gauge the timings.

a. Where is the drop-off in Hamburg?

b. How long does the transfer take?

c. Are the buses available as soon as passengers are cleared for disembarkation?

d. We are scheduled for 7.00am arrival. Is this actual arrival time or approx 'secured & cleared for disembarkation' time?

Many thanks

L. 

We were there with Cunnard last month - not sure if P&O will do exactly the same, but this is what we found:

a) the drop off is just behind the Rathaus ( town hall) next to the Sofitel hotel.

b) it took about 30/40 minutes as they seem to be re routing one of the roads on the way and there were traffic jams.

c) we docked at 7am, but the first shuttle wasn’t until 8:30am.

4 hours ago, Spike11 said:

We were there with Cunnard last month - not sure if P&O will do exactly the same, but this is what we found:

a) the drop off is just behind the Rathaus ( town hall) next to the Sofitel hotel.

b) it took about 30/40 minutes as they seem to be re routing one of the roads on the way and there were traffic jams.

c) we docked at 7am, but the first shuttle wasn’t until 8:30am.

This ties in exactly with our Aurora cruise last year, so it seems P&O do the same as Cunard. 

Andy 

9 hours ago, Stokie33 said:

We are thinking of going to Hamburg next year but need to know whether the shuttle journey is on flat roads and if it goes over any high bridges, any help appreciated 

I don't recall any high bridges, it was a fairly mundane journey. 

We are going again in 3 weeks, I will be more observant and let you know, but you probably would have made the deci by then. 

Andy 

26 minutes ago, Loops05 said:

Thanks, Andy.

Can passengers exit by foot or must a shuttle/tour bus be used? We realise it's a fair trek but happy to consider if it means we can set off earlier.

Pretty sure you have to get the bus as its in a commercial Dock. 

Andy 

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Pretty sure you have to get the bus as its in a commercial Dock. 

Andy 

Sorry to disagree, but because it is a cruise terminal ( Cunnard pick up passengers there, and Aida start cruises there), I think there is similar access as there is in Southampton. There were certainly taxi and buses and people being dropped off when we were there. However, I don’t think it outlines be a very nice walk. Having said that, some on our cruise were going to walk in and use the pedestrian tunnel under the Elbe.

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I don't recall any high bridges, it was a fairly mundane journey. 

We are going again in 3 weeks, I will be more observant and let you know, but you probably would have made the deci by then. 

Andy 

Thanks Andy I'd appreciate that if you don't mind. We are looking to do New Year 2020 so can wait a few weeks more to book if needed.i don't want to get there then my hubby won't get on the coach 😁 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spike11 said:

Sorry to disagree, but because it is a cruise terminal ( Cunnard pick up passengers there, and Aida start cruises there), I think there is similar access as there is in Southampton. There were certainly taxi and buses and people being dropped off when we were there. However, I don’t think it outlines be a very nice walk. Having said that, some on our cruise were going to walk in and use the pedestrian tunnel under the Elbe.

Don't be sorry Spike, you are probably right, I may be getting confused with somewhere else. 

It just seemed a long way before we were out of what seemed like a compound. 

Andy 

Don’t know if we’re talking about the same terminal/dock but on our Hamburg port call there was a local ferry/“water bus” dock immediately behind our MSC ship.  Very easy access to the city.

Dr Google could no doubt help, or Trip Advisor or the port pages on this site?

5 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

As someone who has been to Hamburg many times on work, I don't think it's that special. I take it as a day to enjoy the ship in peace and quiet. 

We’ll have to disagree then - we thought it was one of the most interesting ports we have been to - the Minitur Wunderland, the Elbphiharmonie building, the harbour front, the St. Nicholas war memorial and tower, the amazing Town Hall Building, the lake and canal tours. We didn’t have time to visit all the things we wanted to in one day. Can’t wait to go back!

• Like 3