Camera for Cruise to Alaska

LeeLee29

1 hour ago, framer said:

And where does anyone go without their phone these days.  It's always in my pocket. 

framer

I doubt I would find a need to pass my phone to another table mate; I'm not expecting any calls, let alone one for someone I just met! .

Some of these people seem to be a bit anal retentive. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I use United when flying. I would have my carry on and camera bag. The camera bag I was using fit all my stuff but was just a little to tall to fit all the way under the seat. If the fight attendant saw it, they would find a place in an overhead for it. I did not like that. So after searching the internet for a new case that would fit, I found one. It fits under the seat prefect. It holds both my camera bodies, my main lens, my telephoto lens, my small pocket camera, small video camera, all the battery chargers and a few more things. The handle is comfortable to use while carrying and it has straps, so it can be wore as a backpack. It also has a slot for a monopod. 

21 hours ago, Greg4502 said:

I use United when flying. I would have my carry on and camera bag. The camera bag I was using fit all my stuff but was just a little to tall to fit all the way under the seat. If the fight attendant saw it, they would find a place in an overhead for it. I did not like that. So after searching the internet for a new case that would fit, I found one. It fits under the seat prefect. It holds both my camera bodies, my main lens, my telephoto lens, my small pocket camera, small video camera, all the battery chargers and a few more things. The handle is comfortable to use while carrying and it has straps, so it can be wore as a backpack. It also has a slot for a monopod. 

What is the name of the case? 

Thanks! The airport here seems to be only getting the ERJ 145 planes any more and I used to take a Think Tank Airport Advantage without issue but lately have begun to hassle me about gate checking it just because it has wheels. I took them off once to get my bag on. I remember we used to get larger planes, seems those days are long gone for some reason. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finding the right camera for an individual is a challenge...so many factors to consider.

I just bought a Panasonic Lumix FZ300 bridge camera. It just arrived, so I am pretty excited (and a little nervous) about getting started with it.

Some of the factors going into my choice::

* Smaller and lighter than a DSLR.

* No additional lenses to schlep

* Somewhat weather and dust resistant.

* I am already familiar with the Lumix line of cameras and LOVE them.

* Price was right

* I'm coming from lower level digital cameras, so it is a step up for me, but not as big a step as a DSLR or mirrorless camera

* Nice quality lens

* Reasonable zoom capability for the sensor.

* Good reviews from online sources that I trust

Super hard decision!

Since you are already familiar with using a DSLR, it should be easy for you to learn.

There are quite a few good choices out there. Let us know what you decide!

On 10/18/2019 at 5:20 AM, Oakman58 said:

I have one more suggestion for your Alaskan trip, bring a pair of binoculars that are fog proof and waterproof.  I used Wingspan NaturePro 8x42 binoculars and was very satisfied.  At the time I was able to buy them for less than $100 on Amazon but I think prices have gone up a bit.  I bought them because of their compact size which is perfect for travel. 

Thank you for your binocular recommendation. Shopping for binoculars has always been a frustrating experience for me. Now I have a better understanding of how they work, and the specs and price of the Wingspan model you suggested sound about right for my use.