Crystal Bach Amsterdam to Basel, October 27, 2019

rafinmd

5 minutes ago, nynashamn said:

That is disappointing.  I had hope to get that opportunity.

We were on a Danube cruise and had ports every day. There were only 2 days out of 10 where we had partial days. That may have had something to do with it. It was a very port intensive trip and very busy. We also had many overnights in ports. They had a difficult time filling Mozart Cafe at dinner because Waterside dining was so good. 

I never saw anyone talk about the Vintage Room and never saw it mentioned in any paperwork. I came across the room when walking around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nynashamn said:

Thank you for the bus information.  Most helpful.  My problem with tours is I walk very fast and hate to go slow for others.  If I am allowed to go at my own pace, I will be fine. Someone had told me the tours might not be right for me.

The tours are not made for fast walkers.  Most of the crowd are 60ish and following the leader.  The leader uses a headset microphone to talk and walks at a reasonable pace, stopping as needed to describe something.  Depending where you are, it may be a private tour of a building so there is no wandering off.  

In one of the Crystal River reviews on this site, someone described one of the walks a "death march" (they are not)   That will give you an idea of range of abilities

You can take the bus from the ship to the meeting point and then tell the leader that you are doing your own thing and will be back at the return meeting time.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tfred said:

In one of the Crystal River reviews on this site, someone described one of the walks a "death march" (they are not)   That will give you an idea of range of abilities

You can take the bus from the ship to the meeting point and then tell the leader that you are doing your own thing and will be back at the return meeting time.

Thanks again for the info. We will be going on the Rhine. Do you know if the tours offered have long bus rides? By long I mean more than 20 to 25 minutes.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             We are still waiting to see what flights Crystal offers.  I saw one person had said Crystal's flights were more expensive than they paid by booking themselves. 

2 hours ago, nynashamn said:

With just 106 passengers on the river boats, I'm doubtful that they ever get enough to do the Vintage Room experience unless there is a large group traveling together that books it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nynashamn said:

Thanks again for the info. We will be going on the Rhine. Do you know if the tours offered have long bus rides? By long I mean more than 20 to 25 minutes.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             We are still waiting to see what flights Crystal offers.  I saw one person had said Crystal's flights were more expensive than they paid by booking themselves. 

IIRC the only 30 minute bus ride was in Germany.  I think we got off on Mannheim and traveled by bus to Heidelberg.  the boat followed us as some people stayed in Mannheim and others went to Heidelberg. 

all the other stops were virtually in town - 

we did our own air arrangements.  My only advice  is to arrive at least the day before in the embarkation city.  One delayed flight and there is a problem.  

• Like 2

On 1/23/2020 at 7:12 AM, nynashamn said:

Adjustments.plist

I think the quality of the food is equal between Waterside and the Vintage Room.  Foodwise, you aren't giving anything up (or gaining much). What is different is the wine pourings - Vintage will give you better wine pairings.  Obviously, the conviviality of the Vintage room is better

There was a Vintage room dinner on our Danube cruise, but as someone said, it. helps if there is group onboard

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tfred said:

Adjustments.plistUnavailable

I think the quality of the food is equal between Waterside and the Vintage Room.  Foodwise, you aren't giving anything up (or gaining much). What is different is the wine pourings - Vintage will give you better wine pairings.  Obviously, the conviviality of the Vintage room is better

There was a Vintage room dinner on our Danube cruise, but as someone said, it. helps if there is group onboard

Just to add to this: Some have commented that they found the food on the river cruise is slightly higher than the food on Crystal Ocean. The food is really good on Crystal.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Coral said:

Just to add to this: Some have commented that they found the food on the river cruise is slightly higher than the food on Crystal Ocean. The food is really good on Crystal.

It only makes sense that if you start with the same quality ingredients, you'll have better chance when serving 106 people rather than 800 plus.

• Like 1