Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Stockjock

Would you feel comfortable landing in Asia 6:45 am for a 11am-3pm same day boarding?

Recommended Posts

Doing a 4-day cruise out of Singapore.  The plan is to spend a few days in a hotel after the cruise and possibly to go straight from the plane to the ship.  

Total airtime from the U.S. should be about 18-20 hours each way.  I'm shooting for something with 1 stop, so SoCal to SFO to Singapore and then something similar on the way back.

Looking at a flight that is scheduled to land in Singapore at 6:45 am with United Airlines the day of the cruise.  Check-in starts at 11:00 am and ends at 3 pm with a 4:30 pm departure.  It should take about 25 minutes or so to get from the airport to the cruise terminal.  Obviously one would have to get their bag, clear Customs, etc.  Apparently it usually takes about 30 minutes to clear Singapore Customs.

It sounds to me like this would be doable.  Only risk would be if you missed a flight or was a major delay.  I figure I could have a problem that costs me maybe 4-5 hours and still make it.

Given this, would you feel comfortable with these flights?

Edited by Stockjock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's interesting is the flight RCCL would provide gets in 11 am the day of the cruise, which sounds super questionable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they have stronger than expected headwinds the flight could easily be a few hours late

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stockjock said:

What's interesting is the flight RCCL would provide gets in 11 am the day of the cruise, which sounds super questionable.

At least they would get you to the next port, but for a 4 day cruise, what’s the point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the question?  Would I feel comfortable with the itinerary you’re contemplating or do I think you can make it from the airport to the ship if all goes according to schedule?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

What's interesting is the flight RCCL would provide gets in 11 am the day of the cruise, which sounds super questionable.

 

That's assuming all goes well.  Please don't risk it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

What is the question?  Would I feel comfortable with the itinerary you’re contemplating or do I think you can make it from the airport to the ship if all goes according to schedule?



The former.  I thought the schedule seemed interesting.  Singapore to Malaysia to Thailand on one of the oceanview full suites facing forward with full glass windows for around $600.  Do that for 4 days, spend a few days in Singapore after returning around Clarke Quay, then fly home.

Doesn't sound appealing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stockjock said:



The former.  I thought the schedule seemed interesting.  Singapore to Malaysia to Thailand on one of the oceanview full suites facing forward with full glass windows for around $600.  Do that for 4 days, spend a few days in Singapore after returning around Clarke Quay, then fly home.

Doesn't sound appealing?

I wouldn’t go anywhere near this.  If you think it’s worth your time, effort and money then enjoy yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

If they have stronger than expected headwinds the flight could easily be a few hours late

 

 

I don't think they carry a few hours of extra fuel generally...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

I won't fly to the next STATE on the same day as a cruise, much less a different continent. 

This.  All it takes is a missed connection and/or a customs agent who decides it’s your day for some “special treatment” and your trip is ruined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd do it. As long as the flight isn't canceled, which long hauls rarely are, it's highly likely to be no issue at all.  These flights are typically pretty much on time or close to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, parsec0298 said:

This.  All it takes is a missed connection and/or a customs agent who decides it’s your day for some “special treatment” and your trip is ruined.

 

What sort of "special treatment" are you expecting in Singapore from a customs agent that would take 8 hours?  At that point, I'd just want to go home anyways.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd get in a few days earlier so I could get over the jet lag. I would not enjoy getting over 12 hours of hey lag on the cruise itself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Doing a 4-day cruise out of Singapore.  The plan is to spend a few days in a hotel after the cruise and possibly 

Given this, would you feel comfortable with these flights?

 

Absolutely no way.  How much more could it be to arrive 1 full day earlier and tack on another hotel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LMaxwell said:

 

Absolutely no way.  How much more could it be to arrive 1 full day earlier and tack on another hotel?

$300 at the Marina Bay Sands. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

I'd get in a few days earlier so I could get over the jet lag. I would not enjoy getting over 12 hours of hey lag on the cruise itself

 

We feel the same way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BNBR said:

I'd do it. As long as the flight isn't canceled, which long hauls rarely are, it's highly likely to be no issue at all.  These flights are typically pretty much on time or close to it.

 

You might want to start reading on post #20

 

I think our 28 hour flight via Tokyo ended taking 63 hours via Detroit and Shanghai. We arrived in Singapire with 4 hours to spare

Edited by John&LaLa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

You might want to start reading on post #20

 

 

 

Didn't say it was impossible.  Just that it's rare.  And if it happens, change of plans and a nice trip to Singapore.  It's not catastrophic.

Edited by BNBR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BNBR said:

 

Didn't say it was impossible.  Just that it's rare.  And if it happens, change or plans and a nice trip to Singapore.  It's not catastrophic.

 

Believe me, when we were stuck in Shanghai, I was looking at flights into Phuket, our first stop.

And our trip was 28 days, not 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

Doing a 4-day cruise out of Singapore.  The plan is to spend a few days in a hotel after the cruise and possibly to go straight from the plane to the ship.  

Total airtime from the U.S. should be about 18-20 hours each way.  I'm shooting for something with 1 stop, so SoCal to SFO to Singapore and then something similar on the way back.

Looking at a flight that is scheduled to land in Singapore at 6:45 am with United Airlines the day of the cruise.  Check-in starts at 11:00 am and ends at 3 pm with a 4:30 pm departure.  It should take about 25 minutes or so to get from the airport to the cruise terminal.  Obviously one would have to get their bag, clear Customs, etc.  Apparently it usually takes about 30 minutes to clear Singapore Customs.

It sounds to me like this would be doable.  Only risk would be if you missed a flight or was a major delay.  I figure I could have a problem that costs me maybe 4-5 hours and still make it.

Given this, would you feel comfortable with these flights?

 

No, no, no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...