Shuttles on West Indies Explorer

ClevelandKid

Greetings!!

the last Viking Ocean cruise we did would often have shuttles to go between a point - like the entertainment district - and the ship. 

I can understand why Viking doesn’t want to publicize its shuttles, as it would undercut its shore excursions. Which is why I am asking you good folks if you have been on this trip if you can remember the island and the destination for any shuttles. 

thanks

Pat

7 hours ago, ClevelandKid said:

Greetings!!

the last Viking Ocean cruise we did would often have shuttles to go between a point - like the entertainment district - and the ship. 

I can understand why Viking doesn’t want to publicize its shuttles, as it would undercut its shore excursions. Which is why I am asking you good folks if you have been on this trip if you can remember the island and the destination for any shuttles. 

thanks

Pat

We did this in the spring of 2018 and most times we were docked within walking distance of a town. We did excursions in each port, so I don’t think there were shuttles.  I don’t have my Dailies handy, but I’ll check later. 

There may have been shuttles to Charlotte Amalie in St Thomas, but even though it’s not a town, the Havensight docking area has a mall with shops and restaurants. 

I’m not sure what you mean by “entertainment district.”  Have you been to the Caribbean before?  When we went many of the islands were still recovering from the back to back hurricanes of fall 2017, so we either did the included tours or a Viking optional tour. 

We did the walking tour in St Croix (subbed for Tortola) and the town was right at the pier. 

In St Kitts we did the St Kitts Railway (optional) and the included bus ride up to Fairview Estate.  In Antigua, St Lucia and St Thomas we did the optional catamaran excursions.  All were great, St Lucia was fabulous!  In Antigua, the first part included the included tour to Nelson’s Dockyard and Shirley Heights, then we boarded the catamaran for a sail out to a reef for snorkeling and a BBQ lunch onboard, with a lovely sail back. In St Thomas, we sailed to St John. 

In Barbados we did the photography tour and it was fantastic. Small group in a van, not a bus and we went to off the beaten path spots. The photographer was a great guide and he gave tips for all levels from a phone to an expensive rig. It was mostly how to get the best shot. 

I’ll dig out the Dailies and let you know later. 

11 hours ago, ClevelandKid said:

Greetings!!

thanks

Pat

We did the West Indies Explorer cruise this past February 2019.

CyberKat is correct - the Caribbean is recovering from the hurricane - still.  Not really entertainment districts - at least on the Viking itinerary.  There was a shuttle in St Thomas that people who went shopping used, but most people did the included tours or the optional tours. 

I can also heartily recommend the Barbados Photographer tour - I learned so much and the guide/teacher was a long time photographer, photo-journalist and Barbados native.  Outstanding!

Also enjoyed the Train in St. Kitts - quite different from what one might normally do.

To sum it up - there really were no pure "Shuttles" on this cruise.  On other Viking itineraries I have seen them however.

• Like 1