Hubbard Glacier Wilderness Exploration

MellyBell

We loved it and for us it was well worth the extra  money. I like being closer to the water - you get a different perspective of the glacier. We got as close as the coast guard recommends - half a mile. I think our ship got that close, too. We left for the  face of the glacier before our ship, and then encircled Haenke Island where we saw literally thousands of small white birds on the  face of the rocks, on the water, and flying in flocks. There were maps and binoculars on the boat, hot chocolate, coffee, and small snacks (not that we were hungry!). If I go back to Hubbard Glacier, I’ll do the small boat ride again. Glaciers are one of my favorite things to see. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/16/2019 at 12:52 PM, RSF Cruiser said:

We loved it and for us it was well worth the extra  money. I like being closer to the water - you get a different perspective of the glacier. We got as close as the coast guard recommends - half a mile. I think our ship got that close, too. We left for the  face of the glacier before our ship, and then encircled Haenke Island where we saw literally thousands of small white birds on the  face of the rocks, on the water, and flying in flocks. There were maps and binoculars on the boat, hot chocolate, coffee, and small snacks (not that we were hungry!). If I go back to Hubbard Glacier, I’ll do the small boat ride again. Glaciers are one of my favorite things to see. 

What was the name of the small boat line that came to get you?  

On 1/28/2020 at 2:16 PM, wolfie11 said:

Allen Marine used the St. Theododius for this run.

On 1/28/2020 at 2:16 PM, wolfie11 said:

Allen Marine used the St. Theododius for this run.

Oh right!  Allen Marine..... I think they do runs for almost all the big lines?