Getting to the port with a baby?

spincycle

Hi Folks!

We're heading out on Allure in December and it's the first time we're traveling with our baby (1 yr old). We're trying to figure out how to get from the airport (FLL) to Port Everglades with a baby in tow. I've read that taxis don't take people with babies in Florida anymore as there are car seat laws. Uber has the same issue. Any suggestions? Thank you!

My first thought is why would you want to take a cruise with a one year old!  But that's your choice.

The only way around the car seat issue would be to bring one with you that can easily be put into a taxi.  Or contact a limo company to see if they can provide a ride to the port.

Way back when we traveled with toddlers, we brought a car seat with us.  Now days they have those combo strollers & car seat things. I think that would be terrific for traveling with a baby.   

• Like 1

You should have your child in a car seat on the plane for their safety as well as everyone else's.  Then just take it along with you.  Many people suggest storing them in the shower when it's not in use.

4 hours ago, cruiseryyc said:

My first thought is why would you want to take a cruise with a one year old!  But that's your choice.

Several reasons.  Maybe they love their child and would like to have them with them.  Maybe they don't have an option to leave them at home.  Maybe they realize that life doesn't stop when you have a child and you continue to do the things you enjoy, but now just do them as a family. And maybe, most simply of all as you indicate, it's their choice.

My first thought is why would you care?

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 7

I just also remembered being on flights that have a bassinet that attaches to the bulkhead.  But, it seems these have always been long haul international flights.  Anyway, I thought that was a pretty nice feature.  

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

I just also remembered being on flights that have a bassinet that attaches to the bulkhead.  But, it seems these have always been long haul international flights.  Anyway, I thought that was a pretty nice feature.  

Even on long haul international they have weight and age restrictions about using the bassinet. I suspect most one year olds wouldn't fit those bassinets.

11 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Even on long haul international they have weight and age restrictions about using the bassinet. I suspect most one year olds wouldn't fit those bassinets.

That is an important point.  thanks.  

Been so long I can't even remember how much our kids weighed at one year.  All I know is I've put on a few since the kids were  a year old!  Lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cb at sea said:

Shuttle buses don't require a car seat...neither do large shuttle vans.

I've always found it strange that it has become so inconceivable to drive your car with a baby not in a car seat, yet un-protected babies on buses and vans are no big deal.  And then I think back on what passed for car seats 50 years ago - cheap little things that had nothing to do with safety - without there being some great slaughter of babies in accidents.

I think the car seat industry has a very effective lobby.

3 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I've always found it strange that it has become so inconceivable to drive your car with a baby not in a car seat, yet un-protected babies on buses and vans are no big deal.  And then I think back on what passed for car seats 50 years ago - cheap little things that had nothing to do with safety - without there being some great slaughter of babies in accidents.

I was nursing in Emergency Dept one shift about 30 years ago and a family came in from a car accident where the car had needed to stop abruptly. The unrestrained 4/5 year old ended up in the front seat from the back seat. They sustained internal head injuries and was unconscious on arrival. They ended up in intensive care and I am not sure of the outcome.

I saw other less severe injuries as well. This is why many medical professionals pushed for restraints for children in cars. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Personally, I would opt for the car seat no matter where.   Not sure why anyone would think a bus or van is OK.    

Regarding the old days of no car seats, seatbelts or airbags, we made it through but those that didn't survive are not here to tell their story.   

I think why not take a simple step to help avoid a life changing incident. 

On 10/16/2019 at 3:44 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

Several reasons.  Maybe they love their child and would like to have them with them.  Maybe they don't have an option to leave them at home.  Maybe they realize that life doesn't stop when you have a child and you continue to do the things you enjoy, but now just do them as a family. And maybe, most simply of all as you indicate, it's their choice.

My first thought is why would you care?

We started cruising with our oldest when he was two.  We don't have grandparents who would want to watch our kids (they would if we twisted their arms, but this seemed like a bad plan to make someone - even my parents - watch my kid when they genuinely feel that they raised their kids and now want to enjoy their retirement.)  So we started taking our kids on cruises, and it turns out my kids loved it.  

The graco snug ride 35 is FAA approved.  That means you have the legal right to put your child in it when you fly (you should print out the FAA regulations stating this, and make sure you have a sticker on the car seat or print out a copy of the manual stating that the car seat is FAA approved since we've run into some flight attendants who didn't know FAA regulations about car seats and insisted mid-flight that Jet blue doesn't allow the snug ride 35 since it's rear facing.  Thankfully, the flight attendant realized that making me wake my sleeping 2 year old halfway though the flight to violate federal law would not be a good plan so she just criticized me for taking that car seat and went away).  

We also found private tours to be important to keeping our kids happy on vacation - we can stay longer at destinations they like and leave immediately when they get fussy.  If you have your own car seat you can install it yourself and not worry on tours.

Also, on the first breakfast go to the buffet and take boxed cereal, yogurt and fruit with you.  You'll always immediately have a snack on hand in the room, and can take boxed cereals with you on tours so your kids will always have a snack and when they get whiny just give them cereal on tours.     

On 10/16/2019 at 1:38 PM, ducklite said:

Many people suggest storing them in the shower when it's not in use.

too wet, I wouldn't store in the shower.

To OP: there is a ton of threads in this subforum about car seats and transporting children from the airport to port...

19 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

how many cars were on the road 50 years ago? How many families could afford cars 50 years ago? How much do you actually know about car safety and child mortality rates about 50 years ago? Do you know that up until very recently vehicular accidents were #1 cause of death in children?

Buses are compartmentalized and are considered safe to ride in without car seats.

Car seats are life saving devices, pure and simple. It has nothing to do with lobbying.

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2019 at 4:48 PM, ldubs said:

They still have them.  The max weight is typically 25 pounds and max age is eight months.

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

how many cars were on the road 50 years ago? How many families could afford cars 50 years ago? How much do you actually know about car safety and child mortality rates about 50 years ago? Do you know that up until very recently vehicular accidents were #1 cause of death in children?

Buses are compartmentalized and are considered safe to ride in without car seats.

Car seats are life saving devices, pure and simple. It has nothing to do with lobbying.

Yeah, I was just an actuary for over 20 years, so I wouldn't know anything about these things.

In what sense are buses 'compartmentalized' compared to cars?

22 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Yeah, I was just an actuary for over 20 years, so I wouldn't know anything about these things.

I am so glad to hear that actuaries get extensive training through National Child Passenger Safety Certification Training Program. Or do they?

In what sense are buses 'compartmentalized' compared to cars?

https://www.ntsb.gov/safety/Pages/schoolbuses.aspx

For the context of these discussions I don't know that I've ever been on a tour or shuttle bus that didn't have seat belts.  City or school buses are a different animal.  

Anyway, I think the point is use the infant seat when you can.