Hairdressing

I am expect the color and cut to be more expensive then land but I also expect not to have a botched job. Jctdlt’s hair “looking like a lion”is enough to put shivers up my spine. I expect to have hair colored 3 times for the 118 days. I hope to hear some salon reviews the next few months. 

I have had a lot of experience having a colour put on my hair on Regent. Early on I decided to bring my own colour ( kindly provided by my hairdresser) as I ended up on one cruise with a colour several shades darker than it should be. 

In the many times I’ve had my hair coloured on Regent, only once did I consider the experience professional. Mostly the hairdressers think they know it all and question me on the make of my colour and the way in which I have it applied. My hairdresser provides instructions for them to follow. Once my hair was completely ruined with having put me under a drier to speed things up. I have never been near the hair salon on Regent since that time. 

I have had my hair coloured on other ships and have been very pleased. 

Good idea bringing your own color, if you can.  I'm fortunate (or not) that I no longer color my hair.  Very freeing.

But the current prices for  a style and blow dry sound like regular Toronto city prices.  OTOH, I pay about $25 for that in Florida and Ottawa, ha ha.  I just worry about the quality--I am phobic about hair stylists, having gotten a lot of bad cuts in my day--so it will be a trust issue for me.  Of course if I get it cut fairly short before I leave Florida, I may just let it get long, so that I can tie it back in all that hot weather we'll have in SE Asia, India and the Middle East.

I've always found pedicure prices onboard to be outrageous, however.  And don't even talk about facials!  But pedicures are something I will definitely have to budget for.

Now you've got me thinking about bringing my own hair dryer.  I usually have no problem using the one provided, but in this hot weather WC I'll be washing my hair a lot, and as much as I like to air dry it, that won't be possible many days when dressing for dinner.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I find much inconsistency in the hair dryers. Its like they went to Walmart and bought whatever stock was there. I have had different sizes, different wattage, and both US and european plugs with no rhyme or reason of which it would be. I understand that if you don't like the one you have you can request a replacement

I have found the hair dryers to be nicer than mine at home.  I'm satisfied not to have to pack one.

Would anyone like to opine on the cleanliness of the pedicure operation?  Does everything appear to have been sterilized?  I really don't like the idea of getting someone else's toe crud.

13 hours ago, Sharle said:

I find much inconsistency in the hair dryers.

I understand that if you don't like the one you have you can request a replacement

Yes, I have done just that on the cruise we are on now.

First hairdryer was weak so asked our stewardess to swap, which she did.
Replacement is more efficient 😁

My hairdresser was going to supply my color and instructions for the WC.  Now I am concerned.  I can wait until reviews come in on the new company.  One other option I though of was to go to a salon in one of the larger cities we are visiting such as Sydney, and go to a name salon there.  True, it means that I will have less sightseeing time, but covering the roots is critical to me.  Another possible option could be for my hairdresser to teach my husband how to do it.  I'm not sure if that would work either.  What have other people done about color on long cruises?  Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Norma

I didn't mean to make it sound like such a production, but I do have the roots colored every four weeks, and I have for years.  Since I mentioned to my hairdresser that I was going on the WC she keeps thinking up ways to deal with my hair.  I suppose if all else fails I can wear a hat (I am not referring to your picture) except in the evening and figure out something then.  Most likely I will give Regent's spa a try and hope for the best.

Norma

On the WC 2017 I went to the salon on board several times, using their color. I had even taken my numbers from my salon at home with me, but the colorist on board dismissed them and did his own thing. It wasn't perfect, but not bad.

Last year I was about to take color with me, but looked at the containers and decided I wasn't going to transport that much stuff with me. It took about three appointments after returning home for my color to be normal. Again, not perfect results on the ship, but better than letting my roots show.

I had a pedicure at the hotel in Agra, India when we were there on the Taj Mahal overland trip from the 2017 WC.  I got a 9 pm appointment.  For $25 (plus tip) I had a fantastic 1 hour pedicure!  Facilities, quality and care were far above a Canyon Ranch $80 pedicure.  I'll be taking my own polish and touching up my toenails - and looking for a nail salon on shore.  Like Wendy The Wanderer, I stopped coloring my hair many years ago.  I am outraged by spa prices and like UUNetBill, prefer to use OBC for a terrific bottle of wine!

• Like 1

My hair grows ridiculously fast, around an inch a month. I have my hair colored every 4 weeks at home. Brush on color helps but only when roots start showing. I guess my hair will be the guinea pig on 2021WC. I will have color formulas as pictures and hope for the best. 

23 hours ago, travelwell said:

My hair grows ridiculously fast, around an inch a month. I have my hair colored every 4 weeks at home. Brush on color helps but only when roots start showing. I guess my hair will be the guinea pig on 2021WC. I will have color formulas as pictures and hope for the best. 

Well that should be fun; maybe you'll end up with stripes!  I'm sure it will be just fine.

I like the idea of going to a salon onshore for a pedi, but not likely a haircut.   I'm very scissor-shy when it comes to my hair.

Oh, and as for color, I'm experimenting with temporary spray-on pastels, ha ha!