Jim_Iain – Edge Live Post – B2B – Greek Islands and West Bound TransAtlantic

Jim_Iain

Thanks for posting your review and with all those excellent photos. Pics, can tell a story all by themselves.  I liked the photo of the horse in town; looked similar to the horse on The Edge.

Please continue to enjoy your cruise On The Edge and keep on posting.

Thanks

Edited by cruise47
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

I'm not sure how Edna slipped into the mix, but Mt Etna was certainly looking great in the photos 🙂

Mount Etna was the first stop on the tour and while we went up to a small crater the only way to get to the summit is a cable car which takes over an hour each way so was not possible for the tour.   It was beautiful and visible from anywhere on the island.

Today was a perfect day to explore Edge in all her beauty. 

Edge take a little getting used to.  There are lots of dead ends and sometimes you have to go up or down a floor to get where your going.  

Aqua Spa is very large and lots of loungers  available. 

F4890BFE-010C-49BC-A3CA-905248161AE7.thumb.jpeg.0f9bd22d77b7accc562f566d81f659c6.jpeg

Prior to sailing I read LOTS of complaints about no seating in the shade.  It may be the direction we are sailing but lots of shade.   The main thing I noticed was everyone was mostly in sun and the hundreds of shaded loungers remain unused. 

D49FB7D8-DA80-4222-ABC9-7EDC688833C8.thumb.jpeg.1a32adea7e788c1513352b6d86d66e50.jpeg

56FB3845-9E1B-4A2D-A071-DAB13DB2A4A7.thumb.jpeg.e326980a4818907006dd1a1c587e62e8.jpeg

Even  sunny areas  had loads of available loungers. 

5859BEF8-AD5A-49DC-B5CD-D7E9B56E7DA4.thumb.jpeg.bc8e5501bc90e13bd8c66d8f9e6bfe40.jpeg

2CF18264-5537-4C85-B9EC-C3A2A9A10539.thumb.jpeg.cce93ec0818dbb8e0ed0946c2b6cf1c0.jpeg

On 10/20/2019 at 2:36 PM, vtcruising said:

Thanks! It sounded like it would be bad so we waited for the cable car. Live and learn....

We’ve been twice to Santorini and both times someone has slipped and fallen on the steps, the last time the lady broke her leg and the ship we were on had to sail without her 😞 

So if anyone is going to use them please be aware they can be slippy and people have fallen.

Edit: sorry I posted this before I saw the other warnings!

Edited by DebbieMacG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

WOW WOW WOW...38 days until we sail on Edge, and I am more excited than ever after seeing your beautiful pictures of the ship (well, that and the fact that the temps are pretty chilly here in Chicago...looking forward to the Caribbean in December).

Thanks!

Susan

Edited by lola2013

5 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

WOW WOW WOW...38 days until we sail on Edge, and I am more excited than ever after seeing your beautiful pictures of the ship (well, that and the fact that the temps are pretty chilly here in Chicago...looking forward to the Caribbean in December).

Thanks!

Susan

At this point I have to say I am more impressed with Edge than I was expecting.   

The crew is best of fleet and we know so many of them.   

Re: Captain Kate -  checking around I’m being told she will not be back as Captain until beginning of December.  They said she may be back on for crossing as a guest but couldn’t confirm. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

At this point I have to say I am more impressed with Edge than I was expecting.   

The crew is best of fleet and we know so many of them.   

Re: Captain Kate -  checking around I’m being told she will not be back as Captain until beginning of December.  They said she may be back on for crossing as a guest but couldn’t confirm. 

I follow (okay, "stalk") Captain Kate on Instagram...she recently posted that she would be travelling for 5-6 weeks with friends before returning to Edge...fingers crossed she's back on 12/1.

Thanks again for all the info.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We booked a ships tour of Santorini so don’t believe we will have to navigate the slippery slopes.  

The only negative is the tour leaves at 7:15. 

I’ve done two ships tours of Santorini, both were excellent. When you disembark you tender to another small harbour where you are picked up by coaches but on the way back you are dropped in a bus park in the main town and are given tickets for the ride down in the “cable” car and then you tender  back from the main harbour, so on the way back you will either need to ride or walk down.

Edited by DebbieMacG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lola2013 said:

I follow (okay, "stalk") Captain Kate on Instagram...she recently posted that she would be travelling for 5-6 weeks with friends before returning to Edge...fingers crossed she's back on 12/1.

Thanks again for all the info.

Yeah, I'm hoping she'll be on Presidents' Week...but I'm also fearing that the timing may have her leaving the day I embark (based on the timing of contract schedules I know of for another cruiseline.)

Jim

Prior to boarding Edge, you were asking whether you should expect to experience more movement by being in a Celebrity Suite in the front portion of the ship.

Now, it might be too early to tell, but have you noticed a difference vs your other stateroom locations?

Maybe the true test will be on your Transatlantic leg.

Randy

1 hour ago, DebbieMacG said:

I’ve done two ships tours of Santorini, both were excellent. When you disembark you tender to another small harbour where you are picked up by coaches but on the way back you are dropped in a bus park in the main town and are given tickets for the ride down in the “cable” car and then you tender  back from the main harbour, so on the way back you will either need to ride or walk down.

On our Sept 30 EDGE cruise guests were given an option of staying in town or going back to where they tendered in and tendering back from there. A nice option.....especially with 6 ships in port. 

• Like 1

So that is what Mt. Etna looks like!  We did the ships tour and it was the most expensive but great cannoli we had.  Weather was awful.  So foggy, cold and windy we did not even get out for the crater.  Did see all the remnants of the volcano on the trip up and down.  Went on to Taormina where the sun came out.  Love Taormina.  Have been there 3 times.  We did have great weather twice.  Went up to Castelmola on the last visit.  What a view.

Enjoying your review - brings back memories of our visits.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I did read his wonderful reviews of his B2B on MSC.     I think he raised as many questions as he answered.    It seemed that he had some mixed feelings.   After his review I backed off the idea of trying them but good possibility that if they had a good itinerary I might.

How about you?    Would you try them?

Yes, but only in YC and only after I get my Elite status on X.  That should be after our Dec 2020 cruise. 

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

On our Sept 30 EDGE cruise guests were given an option of staying in town or going back to where they tendered in and tendering back from there. A nice option.....especially with 6 ships in port. 

That’s great then that they are doing this now on some visits, I know people who don’t like the cable car and this would be of great benefit to them. I’ve always wondered why this wasn’t an option before

Edited by DebbieMacG
  • Like 2

On 10/22/2019 at 11:04 AM, Jim_Iain said:

I checked out the stacks and they still have the scaffolding on them.

Thanks for checking that out. It was installed the day we boarded 30th Sept but nothing seemed to be done after that so if you manage to find out whats going on great because I didn’t manage to. It doesn’t detract from the elegant design in any way though.

Like you we found the ships layout to be frankly quite strange with dead ends and narrow staircases etc but after a while it was just quirky once you get used to it. And again we found many things better than some of the dire comments, particularly the Magic Carpet we were expecting to be poor but was in fact one of the nicest exterior areas of the ship to sit and have a drink, no wind even while at sea (we had calm seas) and really does work well as a tender dock for Santorini tenders and later the ships own really impressive tenders in Nauplion.

Edited by JBare