Jim_Iain – Edge Live Post – B2B – Greek Islands and West Bound TransAtlantic

Jim_Iain

Hi to you both

David & I did the crossing to Japan with you last fall. We have friends that are on the Westerdam and have missed a couple of ports which happened last year. Love all your blogs. We are going to crossing from Miami to Barcelona on the Infinity in April.

Sherrill Smith Ontario Cruiser

14 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Looking forward to following along! The Edge Western over Presidents’ Week will be my first time on Celebrity! (Though in a lowly solo IV cabin.)

IF you get a chance and think about it, I would love to know if Eden had gluten-free options for the dinner!

w  - While there may be no 'listed' GF items on the menu, I would be very surprized if they would not accommodate, as in the other dining venues aboard X's fleet.

Just give them at least 24 hours notice and go for it...

bon appetite and bon voyage

• Like 1

My friend and I were booked on one of the short preview cruises that got cancelled last November.  We have had to wait an entire year to experience the Edge.  We board on December 1 for the Eastern Caribbean itinerary.  I cannot wait to hear your thoughts on the ship and see photos.

We were actually docked in Naples with Edge this past June (we did Italy/Greek Islands on RCCL) and took a look at Edge up close and personal...BEAUTIFUL!!!

Thanks in advance for taking us along.

Susan

16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We booked this trip the first day it was released back in November of 2017.   As is our normal process, we booked it while on a cruise to maximize our perks and then once home transferred it to our agent for additional OBC’s. 

Now that we are retired we try to extend our vacation by booking B2B’s.   This cruise will be the October 21 -  11 Night Amalfi Coast & Greek Isles Cruise followed by the November 1 – 14 night TransAtlantic.  From those who have previously followed our adventures, you will recall that we love sea days and especially West Bound TransAtlantics.

Some have asked why we would book a cruise 2 years in advance.   The simple answer is that we generally find that the prices of cruises have a tendency to increase after they are initially released.   We thought they prices were high when we booked but the prices continued to increase over the past couple years.   We are booked in the same Celebrity Suite for both cruises. 

Cruise 1  - 9,499 pp plus 80.52 Tax and Port for a Total Cost of $19,159 and came with all 4 Perks

Cruise 2 -  8,249 pp plus 95.11 Tax and Port for a Total Cost of $16,498 and came will no Perks.

Air Fare -  As many on CC have noted this year prices of Air Fare have been running higher than what we have seen in previous years.    Booking early (11 months out) I was able to pick up 2 Business Class seats using Mileage on Delta for 85,000 points each.  

Hotel - We will be flying in two days before the cruise and staying at Hilton Airport Hotel FCO.   We have been to Rome numerous times so will not be spending much time there.   The Hilton Hotel provides a free shuttle hourly into Rome so will probably go in for a day and just wander around.   We booked the Executive Floor for a cost of $243.57 per day with 24.36 Tax.    Total $553.86.    We have stayed there previously and really enjoyed the Executive Lounge.  

Jim; we have used that hotel a couple of times and it’s really nice. Looking forward to following along! Starting to like the idea of Edge class maybe for 2021 all 2020 cruises booked now I’m like you and tend to book longer trips far out. Have a fab time! Dianne

First TA for us, so I'm looking forward to this. We are booked on the return transatlantic and can't wait. 

Quick request: On the Celebrity app, right now it shows the Blu closed on Day 8 - 15. Of course they aren't, but I'm wondering if your Celebrity app shows you the menu and shows the Blu as being open for the remainder of your cruise, since you, too, are doing a TA. 

We spent a weekend on the Edge for a preview cruise and LOVED the ship. 

• Loved Eden (the show and the bar -- haven't tried the restaurant)
  • Loved the wooden "people"
  • Loved the metal "trees"
  • There are so many nooks and crannies on the ship to hide away and read or take a nap
  • So many interesting little side shoots and hallways that lead to other places -- they are hallways, but don't look like traditional hallways, we love it
  • The art on the ship is stunning
  • The rooms (AquaClass is what we sailed on the preview cruise) are really quite nice with a TON of storage. 
  • Stateroom bathrooms are great

Really, there wasn't a lot we didn't like! Not in love with the endless veranda or balcony or whatever they call it, but only because I'm short and it's too tall for me to look over when I'm sitting on the balcony. It's see-through, of course, but I like to be able to look over and I just can't on the Edge. 

It's truly a terrific experience and I'm excited to follow along as you make your way over! And maybe we'll see you on the TA back home! Enjoy!

Edited by ldyluck
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ldyluck said:

First TA for us, so I'm looking forward to this. We are booked on the return transatlantic and can't wait. 
-----------------------------------

Really, there wasn't a lot we didn't like! Not in love with the endless veranda or balcony or whatever they call it, but only because I'm short and it's too tall for me to look over when I'm sitting on the balcony. It's see-through, of course, but I like to be able to look over and I just can't on the Edge. 

It's truly a terrific experience and I'm excited to follow along as you make your way over! And maybe we'll see you on the TA back home! Enjoy!

I know you will have a great sailing for sure, as for the IV chair issue, maybe they can find a 'Director's Chair' for you to sit in while on-board... that way you will be able to see above the bar.

We board on the 24th of November and cannot wait!

bon voyage

17 hours ago, LuAnn said:

Your "blogs" are always terrific!! Is this your first time on Edge? As another CCer posted so far we have no interest in sailing on Edge...just doesn't seem "our cup of tea".  Will be interested to read what you think!!! Thanks for taking the time and energy!!  LuAnn

Yes LuAnn this will be our first time on Edge.   I wasn't sure we would take the cruise as it was probably the most expensive cruise we have ever booked.   To our surprise the price almost doubled prior to Final Payment so even though expensive it felt like a bargain.

We always keep an open mind when we cruise a new ship so looking forward to a great cruise.   

Jim

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Bon Voyage Jim and Iain.  I look forward to following along.  I was booked on Venice to Dubai(B2B) for 2020 on the Constellation until they re-deployed her to Tampa.  It was the perfect itinerary.  I can't wait to read all about your adventures AND the Edge.  We leave on the 28th of this month for 51 days on HAL(Hawaii/South Pacific).  I am packing the laptop so will still be able to follow along.  It was such a pleasure meeting you this time last year!  I am sorry we did not spend any time together.  Perhaps another time.  Wishing you a wonderful cruise.  Thank you for taking us along.

Thanks much.    Really enjoyed meeting you recently.   I chuckle when I see your username as I expected you to be Italian.   LOL

Have a wonderful cruise and hope we get to sail again soon.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sascol said:

We’ll be on the Transatlantic. I’ll look for you. If you look like your profile pic we’ll find you. I don’t look like mine though!

Yes the picture is only about 9 months old and haven't changed much.   If all fails I can usually be found walking loops on the track.  

16 hours ago, eyecantwait said:

Yay! I've been itching for a good virtual vacation!

In 2001 my sister and I took our dad to Italy to see the town his dad left in 1902. We spent our last couple of nights in Amalfi with the intention of leaving there early on the day of our flight departure from Rome. It became apparent that early mornings there can be foggy so we ended up having to book a couple of rooms at the airport Hilton for our last night to avoid a white knuckle drive in the fog. Great hotel...was a little embarrassed when dad set off the metal detector at the airport with the bottle opener he'd lifted from the room. LOL 

We also love the westbound transatlantic...so relaxing getting those hours back!

Glad you are along.  

The Hilton FCO has become one of our go to hotels.   We usually book the executive floor.  They have a great happy hour and the "Snacks" are so plentiful they usually become dinner.   I like the ability to just get off the plane, walk through the inside bridge and your at the hotel within minutes.  

I can just imagine your amazement when your dad got stopped at the metal detector.   Great story for memories.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Looking forward to your review. We are booked on Apex but will likely push it back a year but still interested in your take on the E class ships.

It will really be interesting to see if they made any changes to Apex.   I am sure they learned some things from the launch of Edge.   To be honest I really don't even know what I am expecting yet.  

15 hours ago, Mike981 said:

What took you so long? 🙂

Just jazzed to follow along. Thank you for all the effort you put into your live blogs.

Thanks for coming along Mike.   

14 hours ago, RodPat said:

following along with you.  Love all your posts.  My DH and I get on the Edge when you get off the TA.  So looking forward to sailing the Edge.  We booked this cruise because it was a 9 night cruise.  We always book a cruise 2 years in advance.  We are in a Celebrity Suite and I think we got a good price.  

Pat

We will make sure we don't tear the ship up before you board.   I'll post a lot of pictures of the CS so you get a good idea of what you will have as your home away from home. 

12 hours ago, WorcesterPear said:

I too look forwards to  having the pleasure of your company on the forthcoming Edge Transatlantic voyage on 1st November. I have really enjoyed reading your previous commentaries and love your enthusiasm, wry wit, and enjoyment of life.

We have taken several East bound transatlantic voyages but this will be the first West bound with the luxury of gaining rather than loosing time!  The suite life on Edge has been so well described in various posts by our estimable fellow CC contributor               VT Cruising that I have high hopes of being spoiled rotten for the whole trip. 

Thank you in anticipation of what I am sure will be an excellent read!

You are going to love the Westbound TA.    We have only taken one east bound and loosing an hour a night is a lot tougher than gaining an hour every night.   The crew gets an extra hour to rest or party and are generally in a great mood.

Looking forward to meeting you.

11 hours ago, h20cruzer said:

Finally, I have been having cruise withdrawal since Chicagopaul finished his Trans pacific adventure.

I really have not had and desire to go on the Edge. Hoping you will provide some info, that might change my mind.

i leave on a Quickly 10/25, 8 night on the Equinox.

safe travels to you and Ian.

Norma

11 hours ago, swigso said:

Looking forward to your review and blog always very enjoyable and easy to read.

i love the way you provide costings did the price change much from when you booked.

Have a safe flight and enjoy your vacation

10 hours ago, Groovybusybee said:

Pulling up the virtual chair, sitting back and prepared to enjoy.

Thanks for taking me along for the ride Jim and Iain.

safe travels.

Debbie

6 hours ago, CruiserMickey said:

Thanks for bringing us along (virtually) on your vacation! I can’t wait to live vicariously through your adventures.

Thanks for coming along.   Feel free to drop and add your thoughts as we go along.

5 hours ago, parrothead33 said:

Ditto to that!

Safe travels to you and Iain.

Bon voyage.

Thanks much

5 hours ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

Hi to you both

David & I did the crossing to Japan with you last fall. We have friends that are on the Westerdam and have missed a couple of ports which happened last year. Love all your blogs. We are going to crossing from Miami to Barcelona on the Infinity in April.

Sherrill Smith Ontario Cruiser

Hi Sherrill and David -  Really enjoyed doing the crossing to Japan but not sure we would do it again.  You and all the fun CC's made it all worthwhile.

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Glad you are back..will be closely following.

We board EDGE again Nov 15th for the ABC itin...you could add a third leg and join us!

I am sure you are getting as excited as we are about getting back on a ship.   Our last cruise was 6 months ago and time has really gone slowly.  

3 hours ago, lola2013 said:

My friend and I were booked on one of the short preview cruises that got cancelled last November.  We have had to wait an entire year to experience the Edge.  We board on December 1 for the Eastern Caribbean itinerary.  I cannot wait to hear your thoughts on the ship and see photos.

We were actually docked in Naples with Edge this past June (we did Italy/Greek Islands on RCCL) and took a look at Edge up close and personal...BEAUTIFUL!!!

Thanks in advance for taking us along.

Susan

Susan -  appreciate it.    We have never seen the Edge let alone sail on her.   Last year on our TA, Edge was in front of us and was also diverted south due to the huge storm.   You all are really making me excited to get moving.   I just printed our boarding pass for our first flight to LAX tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I’ll join previous posters that are hesitant to book Edge and now looking forward to your live review to see if I should be more open!  

Have a great time and I wish you the clearest skies and smooth seas!

Cathy

Spending 26 days on Edge should give us a good idea of how we like Edge.   I'm definitely going with an open mind.

1 hour ago, di T said:

Jim; we have used that hotel a couple of times and it’s really nice. Looking forward to following along! Starting to like the idea of Edge class maybe for 2021 all 2020 cruises booked now I’m like you and tend to book longer trips far out. Have a fab time! Dianne

Booking early was a really good idea for this cruise.    Now that we are Zenith we have started looking at booking more cruises after final payment and Aqua vs Suite class.   Would definitely enjoy more cruises. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ldyluck said:

Quick request: On the Celebrity app, right now it shows the Blu closed on Day 8 - 15. Of course they aren't, but I'm wondering if your Celebrity app shows you the menu and shows the Blu as being open for the remainder of your cruise, since you, too, are doing a TA. 

We spent a weekend on the Edge for a preview cruise and LOVED the ship. 

• Loved Eden (the show and the bar -- haven't tried the restaurant)
  • Loved the wooden "people"
  • Loved the metal "trees"
  • There are so many nooks and crannies on the ship to hide away and read or take a nap
  • So many interesting little side shoots and hallways that lead to other places -- they are hallways, but don't look like traditional hallways, we love it
  • The art on the ship is stunning
  • The rooms (AquaClass is what we sailed on the preview cruise) are really quite nice with a TON of storage. 
  • Stateroom bathrooms are great

I believe that in the app they initially load menu's as a place holders.    I just checked our 10/21 cruise and they only show Menu's for the first week.    I'll let you know after we get on the ship.

All of the things you did sound really interesting.    Can't wait for our first thoughts when we walk aboard.

20 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Welcome to all an feel free to jump in and ask anything.   If I don't know I will try to find an answer for you.   If I can't find an answer I'm sure others with more experience on the Edge will be able to help.

First, a little about ourselves.   Iain and I are in our 60's and have been together for 31 years.   We first sailed with Celebrity in 2001 on Millennium and instantly became addicted to both Celebrity and Cruising.   We liked the product and Celebrity is the only line we have sailed.   We live in Sunnyvale, CA which is located about 50 miles south of San Francisco and 10 miles north of San Jose.  We are both retired and really enjoying the ability to get away for longer cruises without the pressures of business life.  

We are booked on the 10/21 Sailing from Civitavecchia to the Greek Islands followed by the 11/1 Westbound TransAtlantic. 

Very interested in following your review...

Have a blast!!

Wow -  thanks for all that have pulled up a seat.   

First up is the Itinerary for the Amalfi Coast & Greek Isles Cruise.   I will post details of the TransAtlantic after the first cruise. 

1605078978_Oct21MapItinerary.thumb.jpg.2d490ac34b900c4aa912fcd56be54678.jpg

We are really looking forward to this cruise.   The only ports we have previously visited are Civitavecchia (Rome), Piraeus (Athens) and Katakolon (Olympia).

• Like 4

Incredible how quickly the cruise is approaching.    I was able to download our boarding pass for our first flight.   As mentioned earlier the prices this year have been much higher than in previous years for air fare.   I could be wrong but I believe it has been caused by the number of planes that grounded.

Our journey tomorrow is going to be a hope, skip and jump.  We initially fly from San Jose to Los Angeles.   We then have a flight on Delta from LAX-CDG-FCO.  

Boarding Pass.jpg

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wow -  thanks for all that have pulled up a seat.   

First up is the Itinerary for the Amalfi Coast & Greek Isles Cruise.   I will post details of the TransAtlantic after the first cruise. 

1605078978_Oct21MapItinerary.thumb.jpg.2d490ac34b900c4aa912fcd56be54678.jpg

We are really looking forward to this cruise.   The only ports we have previously visited are Civitavecchia (Rome), Piraeus (Athens) and Katakolon (Olympia).

Santorini and Mykonos were two of my favorite ports ever when a friend and I did a Greek Isles cruise on RCCL a couple of summers ago!! Just beautiful!!

• Like 1

I see you are going to Catania. We booked a tour through Viator. It`s called Street food walking tour, or something like that. 

The gal that was our guide was fabulous. It was one of the best tours we have ever done. I see you don`t arrive until noon. 

Maybe they have a afternoon tour. Cheers, Heather

• Like 1