Jim_Iain – Edge Live Post – B2B – Greek Islands and West Bound TransAtlantic

Jim_Iain

3 hours ago, JerseyGem said:

Jim- Thanks for the wonderful travel log and pictures;  I've enjoyed following along (taking notes!).  We're on a Rome to Rome cruise on the Edge next September with many of the same ports.   

My one concern about the Edge is the possible lack of shaded areas on the open decks (this is strictly from the little I've read in various posts).  DH has skin cancer, so we try to be vigilant about the sun but love being outside when we cruise.  Have you found any great area(s) to sit and watch the sea but stay in the shade?  

Enjoy the TA!  Lynn

I read many with this concern prior to boarding.    My observations have been the opposite.   There has always been seating available both on the pool deck as well as other decks with full shade.   At least on the last cruise the shaded areas were almost always totally vacant, so must have had a lot of sun lovers aboard.     I would have to say it might be more difficult if you want to sit directly adjacent to the pool as these areas only get shad according to the location of the sun.

Here’s a couple examples of finding shade. 

In this one Starboard around 2:00 while we were sailing East

E4B7955B-499B-4741-8742-274DD7AA0487.thumb.jpeg.d05e8e8fe225734e787bbcc34f3a1dee.jpeg

This one is Port near Aqua Spa 

B79EA1EC-1E8A-48E5-BA3F-804BEA55DED8.thumb.jpeg.91f64b9878491d3c5f2dd49f72de37bb.jpeg

Partial shade Rooftop garden

20711780-FA65-4063-A368-8B6DE2F6EEC0.thumb.jpeg.cd3adcd28a3b2414819c336fe829c1ef.jpeg

If in suite class plenty of shade unless you want to sit right next to pool

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Jim:

Please don't feel like you have to answer all of these questions, but thought I would put them all out there in case you know the answers already or have an opportunity to find out over the next two weeks. I realize that you are on vacation so please don't put much effort into answering these questions - any insight is appreciated. 🙂

General

-Were the specialty restaurants busy? Do you have a sense of how difficult it was to get reservations onboard?

I will report more once we get going.   The last cruise was extremely port intensive with most ports arrival at 7 AM and set sail 7PM so may have had an effect.  On the first cruise the specialty's were only about 1/2 to 3/4 full.   No problem getting a reservation. 

Le Grand Bistro:  

-Les Boissons at The Bistro Terrace 4 (translates to Drinks at The Bistro Terrace 4, for those without my “extensive” French language background) 5-9:30PM is in your dailies listed under Bar Hours and I’ve seen it in other dailies people have posted, but haven’t heard any talk about using that area as a bar (open mostly during Le Petit Chef hours).  I have seen this menu online – not sure if they serve this food as well as drinks during that time period? It seems like it could be a nice place for drinks before LPC starts at 6:00.

502251139_Terracemenupicture.thumb.png.5a2edd5bed955f8ddcc1afb638bc5803.png

I'll have to take a look -  We are making a concerted effort this cruise to explore the ship more.    We noticed on the first cruise we spent most of our time on floors 14 and above and didn't experience much on the lower floors.   I may have mentioned that I'm a real coffee addict and love that they have both Al Bachio's on 4 as well as El Segundo Al Bachio  at the Entrance to Ocean View.    Since El Segundo is only up 2 decks and Al Bachio' down 7 floors I go upstairs most of the time.

The app is showing that Le Grand Bistro is open

Lunch                 11:30 - 1:30  Daily

Carry-Out           12:00 - 5:00  Most days but whatever reason on day 3 Open until 10:00 PM  maybe no Petite Chef on that

Le Grand Bistro (stolen from a web site)

This French-inspired eatery on Deck 4 offers specialty dining for breakfast and lunch. On sea days, you can indulge in a rich breakfast ($10) including custom made crepes and a heavenly egg and bacon sandwich on a freshly made croissant. At lunchtime ($20), which is served from noon to 1:30 pm each day, you can choose from a lighter fare with sandwiches made on fresh baguettes or feast on mussels and steak frites. If you are in a hurry, there is also a to-go menu that is priced a-la-carte. At night, the venue turns into Le Petit Chef and Friends, a digitally enhanced dinner experience ($55) which includes a four-course meal and a “show”. 

I got copies of all the menus and will post separately.   

-Did you see Le Grand Bistro To Go? I know they have deli items (sandwiches, etc) that cost extra, but are the croissants and other pastries, if they still have them, complimentary now?

I will ask but appear to be and extra up-charge

LGB To Go Menu.pdf 341.28 kB · 1 download

-Did you see the menu and price for the brunch at Le Grand Bistro? 

Brunch is list on Sea Days and is $45

Rooftop Garden

-  If you have spent any time there, do the wind barriers seem to work? Did you have good bar service there?

The new wind breaks seem to make a difference but can tell you it is still windy up there.   The real test will be while at sea

- Did you hear of them doing Taste of Film up there?

So far no Taste of Film but may do so on the TA crossing.   Will report back if they do.

Magic Carpet

- Did you notice if the lunch on the Magic Carpet when attached to Raw on 5 was the same menu as Raw on 5? They originally had different menus.

They only had Magic Carpet for lunch on port days.    I didn't notice the menu but will take a look.  

- Any further wind barriers planned for the MC?

They do have plans for more wind barrier but nothing yet.   They have installed some drainage system to the roof to deflect water from the MC.   This morning with the early rain had soaked everything in the MC.    Roof looks like shade cloth and rain coming right throuh it.

Grand Plaza/Martini Bar

-Could you please describe the vibe – day and night – bar service, noise levels, crowd size, seat availability?

First cruise it was almost empty on many evening with seats being available at bar.   They had silent disco a couple times and it was packed.    Noise level -  loud most of the time and unbearably loud when they do the light show and juggling.  Really affect enjoyment of Fine Cut and  Le Grand Bistro. 

-Was the Fine Cut Steakhouse noisy when you dined there? Is anyone dining outside there now?    

It was ok except for the the light show.   We were lucky and had seating next to the windows so had some separation.   We chatted with a couple that had dined there and were adjacent to the bar and they said they couldn't even talk to each other.

Eden

-If  you have frequented Eden, could you please describe the vibe – day and night – bar service, noise levels, crowd size, seat availability?     

We have been to Eden a couple times.    When we dined we were downstairs and so far from the stage we couldn't see any of the show except on a tv monitor.   Maybe a good thing.   At one point a soloist came on and was so loud it almost hurt my ears.   At least it was just one set.   Plenty of seating in the bar except on Eden shows when it is packed.    LBGQT meet at the Evening Bar each night but we have yet to attend.    Service very good throughout.

Also as you know there is plenty seating around the circular walkway and nice place to get away from everything.   I noticed today much of the area doesn't have Musak. 

We had lunch at Eden Cafe today -  a real hidden gem and virtually empty.   The server recommended the Chocolate Brownies -  they are to die for and I would describe them more as fudge than a brownie.  

Suite Life:

- Now that you’ve been in the CS for several days, how do you like it overall? Would you book one again, if the price reasonable?

We have very much enjoyed the CS and would definitely book again at the right price.    The only little think I don't like is the wall between bedroom and livingroom is frosted glass and not a solid wall so if your partner  is a late sleeper you have to keep the drapes pulled to keep the light out.   The staff in the Retreat lounge are exceptional as is Luminae.  The best of the best.

-Thanks for posting the Luminae menus. You mentioned that they had added new things to the menus. Is that the nightly “special” that they have been doing? The printed menus so far seem the same as we had in January – I wondered if they were trying some new items by offering them in addition to the menu?

They have a  number of alternatives that are not shown on the menu and been having Chef's Specials that are not printed.   We are learning to just ask our waiter in advance.

- How is the Retreat Lounge as far as personalized concierge service, bar service, crowd size?

The Concierge Service is far better than other ships.   They have 3 Concierges and they are very personable and ready to do anything imaginable for you.   Bar service is very good and the concierges help out if needed.   We know the drink server from Summit so she has really been taking care of us.   

We are late diners and usually don't go to Retreat until 7:30-7:45 in the evening.    Last cruise the Retreat lounge was virtually empty all the time.   On the sun deck only about 8-10 people were ever up there.       This cruise is totally different.   Since it is a TA many of the guests don't have drink packages so get all their drinks for free in the Retreat and come up to grab a glass of wine to bring to dinner.     It's amazing how the dynamics of each cruise are so different.

- If you have a special beverage request, have they obtained it, if unavailable, as they seem to do in Michael’s Clubs? 

They have been very accommodating but since the lounge is so far away it may take a day or 2 for a special request.

-On one cruise, someone reported that they left bottles of open wine out for people to help themselves in the Retreat Lounge – is that still happening? Do they have self-serve beer in the coolers now?

Yes they have 4 Reds left out on the counter to serve yourself.   There is also a cooler with 2 Whites and 2 Rose's adjacent.

Beneath the counter there is a self help water, soda and beer refrigerators.   There is also a Coffee / Cappuccino  machine.

- Has the Retreat Sundeck been crowded? Can you still get Luminae lunch items sent up there on sea days?

The Retreat Sundeck has been very lightly used.    I swear that even if all suite guests were there at the same time their would be plenty of loungers both in the sun and in the shade.

They serve light lunches daily (even on port days).   It is different than the Luminae Menu and serve Burger, a Roasted Turkey BLT Wrap, Shrimp Cocktail, Marinated Chicken Sandwich, and Fresh Fruit.

Apex

-Any inside info regarding Retreat improvements, e.g., a bar?

They haven't been saying much but they did say they are listening to guest comments and making changes.

- Any news on who is going over? I think Capt Costas is going (he said so last year) – any gossip about the CD or others?

Costas says he is suppose to be going over but says you never know until you get your airline ticket.   It is not uncommon to make last minute changes.    The only one I know for sure is Kimberly the HR director is going to Edge.

-Any other gossip about differences between the Edge and Apex? New balcony furniture on the Sky Suite balconies? New furniture on IV balconies?

They are definitely changing the furniture in the IV balconies.  They have been doing that on this cruise as well as frosting the windows.   They also ditched the rocker in the Sky Suites and put in tables.   No word on loungers.

Thanks for answering any of the above when you have time!

• Thanks 1

Le Grand Bistro 

looks like they have two areas.  The sidewalk cafe is used for drinks and to sit wit takeaway.   The other area is for sit down service and Le Petite Chef. 

Notice the Bar. 

5B92EAA0-577F-4DA3-A328-1D3A1D1D5DA0.thumb.jpeg.e433a1dd22de7edb95cae566cae6fc3d.jpeg

A4F626E4-AE1D-4B58-86FE-061EDA74D94B.thumb.jpeg.24f7fd91700837503a9e3d7be12ef5ad.jpeg

DBB34A32-D3D2-4932-9F26-22D602CF5899.thumb.jpeg.ba54149b022d3256a136236b384b62cd.jpeg

E6076CE1-04C9-499F-AF3A-15C87E25828E.thumb.jpeg.b599b7d060841b670405f49c02365f7f.jpeg

This is the sit down area

B8EAF094-EDBA-4EF6-B31C-567B41B5774E.thumb.jpeg.3089f65e4c8b2b87dfbb3c6052f608bb.jpeg

462E957C-EFF6-4749-A225-71202F08997A.thumb.jpeg.be27e6d2f27182a68c9672535542e492.jpeg

The take away area is in front adjacent to the “Bar”

5A765BFC-A414-47CE-805F-6ADAAB063E01.thumb.jpeg.00a3745ac8abf9c3afb83510ade607e8.jpeg

C232937E-D565-416D-AA75-B30202116F23.thumb.jpeg.44c4df922e8fe7987acfa458ce5a255b.jpeg

90A20FA8-6937-4D9D-86D6-73C4ABC6C202.thumb.jpeg.b712ad27c0f1881d72a3f54568e8fc40.jpeg

CAADCB08-B805-49B5-BA9A-1472E4290555.thumb.jpeg.37fe77bbd947e845ee942f1bdafeba09.jpeg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I will report more once we get going.   The last cruise was extremely port intensive with most ports arrival at 7 AM and set sail 7PM so may have had an effect.  On the first cruise the specialty's were only about 1/2 to 3/4 full.   No problem getting a reservation. 

I'll have to take a look -  We are making a concerted effort this cruise to explore the ship more.    We noticed on the first cruise we spent most of our time on floors 14 and above and didn't experience much on the lower floors.   I may have mentioned that I'm a real coffee addict and love that they have both Al Bachio's on 4 as well as El Segundo Al Bachio  at the Entrance to Ocean View.    Since El Segundo is only up 2 decks and Al Bachio' down 7 floors I go upstairs most of the time.

The app is showing that Le Grand Bistro is open

Lunch                 11:30 - 1:30  Daily

Carry-Out           12:00 - 5:00  Most days but whatever reason on day 3 Open until 10:00 PM  maybe no Petite Chef on that

Le Grand Bistro (stolen from a web site)

This French-inspired eatery on Deck 4 offers specialty dining for breakfast and lunch. On sea days, you can indulge in a rich breakfast ($10) including custom made crepes and a heavenly egg and bacon sandwich on a freshly made croissant. At lunchtime ($20), which is served from noon to 1:30 pm each day, you can choose from a lighter fare with sandwiches made on fresh baguettes or feast on mussels and steak frites. If you are in a hurry, there is also a to-go menu that is priced a-la-carte. At night, the venue turns into Le Petit Chef and Friends, a digitally enhanced dinner experience ($55) which includes a four-course meal and a “show”. 

I got copies of all the menus and will post separately.   

I will ask but appear to be and extra up-charge

Brunch is list on Sea Days and is $45

The new wind breaks seem to make a difference but can tell you it is still windy up there.   The real test will be while at sea

So far no Taste of Film but may do so on the TA crossing.   Will report back if they do.

They only had Magic Carpet for lunch on port days.    I didn't notice the menu but will take a look.  

They do have plans for more wind barrier but nothing yet.   They have installed some drainage system to the roof to deflect water from the MC.   This morning with the early rain had soaked everything in the MC.    Roof looks like shade cloth and rain coming right throuh it.

First cruise it was almost empty on many evening with seats being available at bar.   They had silent disco a couple times and it was packed.    Noise level -  loud most of the time and unbearably loud when they do the light show and juggling.  Really affect enjoyment of Fine Cut and  Le Grand Bistro. 

It was ok except for the the light show.   We were lucky and had seating next to the windows so had some separation.   We chatted with a couple that had dined there and were adjacent to the bar and they said they couldn't even talk to each other.

We have been to Eden a couple times.    When we dined we were downstairs and so far from the stage we couldn't see any of the show except on a tv monitor.   Maybe a good thing.   At one point a soloist came on and was so loud it almost hurt my ears.   At least it was just one set.   Plenty of seating in the bar except on Eden shows when it is packed.    LBGQT meet at the Evening Bar each night but we have yet to attend.    Service very good throughout.

Also as you know there is plenty seating around the circular walkway and nice place to get away from everything.   I noticed today much of the area doesn't have Musak. 

We had lunch at Eden Cafe today -  a real hidden gem and virtually empty.   The server recommended the Chocolate Brownies -  they are to die for and I would describe them more as fudge than a brownie.  

We have very much enjoyed the CS and would definitely book again at the right price.    The only little think I don't like is the wall between bedroom and livingroom is frosted glass and not a solid wall so if your partner  is a late sleeper you have to keep the drapes pulled to keep the light out.   The staff in the Retreat lounge are exceptional as is Luminae.  The best of the best.

They have a  number of alternatives that are not shown on the menu and been having Chef's Specials that are not printed.   We are learning to just ask our waiter in advance.

The Concierge Service is far better than other ships.   They have 3 Concierges and they are very personable and ready to do anything imaginable for you.   Bar service is very good and the concierges help out if needed.   We know the drink server from Summit so she has really been taking care of us.   

We are late diners and usually don't go to Retreat until 7:30-7:45 in the evening.    Last cruise the Retreat lounge was virtually empty all the time.   On the sun deck only about 8-10 people were ever up there.       This cruise is totally different.   Since it is a TA many of the guests don't have drink packages so get all their drinks for free in the Retreat and come up to grab a glass of wine to bring to dinner.     It's amazing how the dynamics of each cruise are so different.

They have been very accommodating but since the lounge is so far away it may take a day or 2 for a special request.

Yes they have 4 Reds left out on the counter to serve yourself.   There is also a cooler with 2 Whites and 2 Rose's adjacent.

Beneath the counter there is a self help water, soda and beer refrigerators.   There is also a Coffee / Cappuccino  machine.

The Retreat Sundeck has been very lightly used.    I swear that even if all suite guests were there at the same time their would be plenty of loungers both in the sun and in the shade.

They serve light lunches daily (even on port days).   It is different than the Luminae Menu and serve Burger, a Roasted Turkey BLT Wrap, Shrimp Cocktail, Marinated Chicken Sandwich, and Fresh Fruit.

They haven't been saying much but they did say they are listening to guest comments and making changes.

Costas says he is suppose to be going over but says you never know until you get your airline ticket.   It is not uncommon to make last minute changes.    The only one I know for sure is Kimberly the HR director is going to Edge.

They are definitely changing the furniture in the IV balconies.  They have been doing that on this cruise as well as frosting the windows.   They also ditched the rocker in the Sky Suites and put in tables.   No word on loungers.

Wow! Thanks for all the interesting info. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I didn't dare ask questions on your port-intensive 1st cruise and figured I'd throw the questions out there to answer as the next 2 weeks go on - you are a rock star!

I'm glad you found the Eden brownies - they are amazing!  Don't know what they put in them, but they are popular. 😉 Eden is a hidden gem for breakfast and lunch - a great addition to complimentary dining.  Eating outside is a bonus on nice days. Glad there are some Musak free areas.

I don't think they do the breakfast at Le Grand Bistro anymore. They did that in January and the breakfasts were amazing, but it has been reported that they only do lunch and brunch on sea days (and LPC for dinner). I'll look forward to seeing what the "bar" on the terrace ("sidewalk") part of the restaurant is like in the evening - I might like to try a boisson there.

It sounds like the suite life is great! Like the idea of leaving the wine out for self-serve so that you can grab a glass anytime. The service sounds better too. I imagine the Sundeck will be busier on the TA. We did have lunch up there from the menu that you described, but were told later that we could have ordered from the Luminae lunch menu when they are open. I'm not sure if that is still true.

Glad to hear that they are finally changing the IV furniture - can't wait to see it. Yes, the beautiful rockers left a while ago out of the Sky Suites, but I think I'm the only one who will miss them, though I will like the nice, big cocktail table, I'm sure.

So glad you are enjoying the CS and your cruise overall. Thanks again for your time!!

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

What kind of furniture are they putting in the IV balconies? They had the same balcony furniture that was on our S1 balcony. We didn't mind the chairs but would have enjoyed a taller, larger table on the balcony. The low table inside the S1 was a nice addition but would have been even better if it was a bit taller. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

10 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

What kind of furniture are they putting in the IV balconies? It was the same as was in our S1. We didn't mind the chairs but would have enjoyed a taller, larger table on the balcony. The low table inside the S1 was a nice addition but would have been even better if it was a bit taller. 

They said they were going to replace the chairs with smaller ones so that it wasn't as difficult to open and close the bifold doors. They didn't mention the tables, but also hope they change them for taller ones.

image.thumb.png.f24fb2fb265064fd0a1611f6211b211a.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Edge Infinite Veranda Changes.pdf 758.18 kB · 1 download

They said they were going to replace the chairs with smaller ones so that it wasn't as difficult to open and close the bifold doors. They didn't mention the tables, but also hope they change them for taller ones.

Edge Infinite Veranda Changes.pdf 758.18 kB · 1 download

Thanks!  

• Like 1

We decided to take out our umbrellas and explore Livorno.  It was coming down pretty heavy when’d we left the ship. They had a free shuttle into town and the rains stopped by the time we got downtown. 

Initially we walked along a covered sidewalk and came upon the Central Market.  Being Saturday it was full of energy. 

6B973D7F-D393-4056-8AEE-0EC1DC478344.thumb.jpeg.0ff51d5f458a5e15c4a31e613d7d708a.jpeg

2C3872D0-2DE6-4E07-BA2D-F8BBFFE964FA.thumb.jpeg.e5967615160598ff4c6c54c87cdec6c4.jpeg

E0060A44-27A2-4E63-AD0F-5FB3FBCCF595.thumb.jpeg.4b233e711e21bcdc9deb5c581662f95a.jpeg

C298CD1F-6A2D-441A-8C29-D91D5A7A7F67.thumb.jpeg.c1c20a0badf31fa110916e68c5aa4d84.jpeg

A7B4235B-5AE7-4313-855B-ADD76E9F1AD8.thumb.jpeg.40a2e2116f9dec3165993d23817897ca.jpeg

E5756033-E916-4A7F-9277-354CFDDDCB51.thumb.jpeg.bc4cb21fc902318d67b6031247427c2c.jpeg

8ADBFC30-E0FD-44CD-8747-910FB82E8C13.thumb.jpeg.9c472a9379557c7237907519c3c25771.jpeg

60C0623F-BAE6-473B-A913-8E8989F594DD.thumb.jpeg.ded34cbb48e5d1ebbf05f2a55f876376.jpeg

F14CC7C9-8EE4-495B-945B-A0B6D9214E0B.thumb.jpeg.d9ec0db891fcf4d0688b482da2bebd63.jpeg

30D955F2-0737-42EC-9098-B5D555BF8A1C.thumb.jpeg.7bb6df4ac14f296a90df2430c6122789.jpeg

5A126D53-558E-4FC1-8E06-C031504FCB1F.thumb.jpeg.47b38aa02534e1e32f46d153164c978c.jpeg

78636CDD-D0B0-4ADB-BB4D-A0A25C88C64D.thumb.jpeg.d74bdf17fa24caf02746efc3bc3f8068.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

What kind of furniture are they putting in the IV balconies? They had the same balcony furniture that was on our S1 balcony. We didn't mind the chairs but would have enjoyed a taller, larger table on the balcony. The low table inside the S1 was a nice addition but would have been even better if it was a bit taller. 

I'll see if I can get a peek or if someone on-board is in an IV they can post.   I saw in a picture that they chairs are more reasonably sized and the table looked larger but still a cocktail height.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'll see if I can get a peek or if someone on-board is in an IV they can post.   I saw in a picture that they chairs are more reasonably sized and the table looked larger but still a cocktail height.   

That would be great! Thanks!

After the market we headed to Plaza Della Republica.   It is a large plaza built over the canals.  

0444281A-C00F-4E9E-855B-44DD3995DDE5.thumb.jpeg.1b825ee6235654c151f09dc8c1843894.jpeg

FA33041F-5A3D-4629-BB48-CD36EB207E02.thumb.jpeg.8557755dc96fb39f84f8a7d9e950a756.jpeg

0444281A-C00F-4E9E-855B-44DD3995DDE5.thumb.jpeg.1b825ee6235654c151f09dc8c1843894.jpeg

Next we walked along a canal.  I loved the Tuscan colors.  

E5855305-78D4-45C5-A856-189499E766C3.thumb.jpeg.b489700d1ee6394d8055d36921da8032.jpeg

2E4A2A3D-0CFD-441B-BF2D-267D641D0D7B.thumb.jpeg.0c3cf0caaede666c15cebb302cf26fd2.jpeg

2ABE5D2B-3C8B-4F4C-BD21-EE4E7E04EA25.thumb.jpeg.d0e1613c47136d11addfb9772d8b662b.jpeg

5DAE42A6-D329-4408-821D-3A31C23359BF.thumb.jpeg.4507a9505322ae7b418540e30b85c271.jpeg

We then stumbled on an area with lots of High End Shops. 
8C45906D-6272-4BC8-A538-59CB0CEDCBF2.thumb.jpeg.7c37ffb088144043979862c26f24cb88.jpeg

E3AE5932-EC2C-4FFF-84EC-3711DCECBF2E.thumb.jpeg.2a97e38f61dd5d491078500dff82e84a.jpeg

B23E416A-A833-4805-BB81-2D149BE92309.thumb.jpeg.0b09b15b3b6e9fac323e53c74ce882b7.jpeg

42121CCA-5B29-43B6-9AFA-66626C7B402E.thumb.jpeg.c1198cb77b75e02fb1f812fc789998cc.jpeg

FFB86939-8D46-451D-B99C-0580B25939F3.thumb.jpeg.bbc8119af2caf13c42932c3e270e4436.jpeg

0AE4BA2B-8C93-494C-87A5-3C131C276F27.thumb.jpeg.e166bb160a9bae8b4a7afdf82cc394aa.jpeg

465E2AB1-309C-44D5-B48C-7268C2836BCA.thumb.jpeg.89d92561afb6bc3cd517fafcd2d891a8.jpeg

BC5E845A-6FA4-4588-8E22-F38F0B7A85A1.thumb.jpeg.3dd88e8cf16e6cb54844002c976c6bc8.jpeg

8AB91C38-F728-413B-9345-DDCEA982FB32.thumb.jpeg.cadfbd449751715874ee1993699c6a98.jpeg

2309C5E9-4A06-42FF-931F-FFEF61C0B442.jpeg

• Like 1

I marked where the bus dropped us off using Google Maps so brought up the map and found our way back. We found lots of things to see along the way. 

We really enjoyed our day and stayed dry. 

1E3B44C3-776D-43CB-AABA-FBFE81CE697B.thumb.jpeg.1ac5843a2a167119411980d241d79bc8.jpeg

9E930EE2-09A8-4CDF-AA15-F839C5C12B84.thumb.jpeg.1080b272de3150ef0e4303b363d0be0e.jpeg

D031F0E7-FDAB-4D76-A857-3238AB481F33.thumb.jpeg.e456e341fbe8cac8213405aef11a2c7a.jpeg

Iain clowning around. 

E08B6CCC-3FED-4ADB-917A-7499B7295478.thumb.jpeg.dc019d9b08554681f55b5080c9ad4174.jpeg

96B1DC2A-601C-4136-B89B-C46A2BF34443.thumb.jpeg.c3bc6442da40250f8840ae0ff4a7906d.jpeg

F20C34C1-7D59-4F73-8614-BCDEBFFA9978.thumb.jpeg.aab6a7c93b487e7fab8a79d6f99465e5.jpeg

BB5EFFAC-3DAE-4FCF-AB62-331C4F398350.thumb.jpeg.816327d5ca4c191899d16cb83a09b888.jpeg

• Like 2

Love these photos...Glad the rain paused enough for you to venture out

We took an  all day excursion from this port and never got to look around. This,  like Piraeus ( sp?),  the port city for Athens  are gems that are possibly  overlooked for the more famous  sites..Thanks for showing them to us.  If we go back some day, hope we can enjoy the  actual port cities a bit more.

We were scheduled to dock in Livorno a couple years ago and the port was cancelled due to high winds and they docked in La Spezia instead.    That blew our planned excursion to Pisa and Florence.   

We made the best of it and walked to the train station and did Pisa on our own.   We postponed Florence for the next year and spent 3 days there after the end of a cruise.   Both were real treats.   

I agree with you that sometimes we do the must see sites while ignoring the beauty the locals experience daily.   I love people watching and we always try to visit the Local Central market.   That reminds me that our favorite central market is in Florence.   The have a fantastic food court upstairs and have hundreds of places and you can get anything from a HUGE Florentine steak to a sweet and coffee.  

Thanks to Vt Cruiser for posing some good questions and to Jim for detailed answers.

Getting a really  good  update on EDGE..looking forward to all the good stuff at the Cafe.Bistro . Seems X is finding  the versatility of EDGE,  and starting to work  very well with it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I love people watching and we always try to visit the Local Central market.   That reminds me that our favorite central market is in Florence.   The have a fantastic food court upstairs and have hundreds of places and you can get anything from a HUGE Florentine steak to a sweet and coffee.  

I couldn't agree more - we spent there wonderful and tasty times.

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I agree with you that sometimes we do the must see sites while ignoring the beauty the locals experience daily.   I love people watching and we always try to visit the Local Central market.

Thanks for the taste of the city. It was really beautiful with the clouds. Loved the pictures with the small boats outside the homes/apartments - reminds me of Venice.

We also try to visit as many local markets as possible when we travel. We've enjoyed the Chef's Market tours with one of the top chefs on X - they bring us to local markets and explain a lot about the local meats and produce and then use many of the same ingredients in the special dinner they prepare that night for our small group. We have done Saint Martin and Cozumel and booked Bilbao for when on the Apex in a few months.   Your local market photos are amazing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Thanks for the taste of the city. It was really beautiful with the clouds. Loved the pictures with the small boats outside the homes/apartments - reminds me of Venice.

We also try to visit as many local markets as possible when we travel. We've enjoyed the Chef's Market tours with one of the top chefs on X - they bring us to local markets and explain a lot about the local meats and produce and then use many of the same ingredients in the special dinner they prepare that night for our small group. We have done Saint Martin and Cozumel and booked Bilbao for when on the Apex in a few months.   Your local market photos are amazing.

We have never done the Chef's Market but saw him and a tour at a local market.   Everyone seemed to be enjoying the excursion.   There were some areas that reminded me of Venice but we both said that it reminded us a lot of Pisa.    

We always hit a Central Market when traveling you definitely get to experience local culture.  

Dinner at Luminae

1977429608_LuminaeDinnerDay04.thumb.jpg.3b9fb9282b17745a121c06245ff9c8e3.jpg

The meal began wit a little treat of berries.   A couple at the next table commented that it looked better than what the got.   Our waiter Kumar said he substituted because the other wasn’t getting good ratings.  It was some type of pea purée.    He brought us one to compare. 

FA7D9CC5-23F4-4B8F-AD3A-5398D06C16DA.thumb.jpeg.0f31af1f47768e457f08e6ef57b4e32c.jpeg

73AFAAE5-5D31-4D17-8523-6E5C74D8B725.thumb.jpeg.9d54545443801e2cd65b94ef04b62aed.jpeg

For starters Iain skipped and I had the Crab Cakes.   Excellent!

50DEF570-B7D6-49B7-858B-7E57BD0CA814.thumb.jpeg.d18869e5486682a88fcbe00f04c5974f.jpeg

For main course Iain ordered the Guinea Hen (which isn’t a Guinea Hen but a Cornish hen) and I had the Black Bass.  Both were perfectly cooked. 

33C7C6A1-C7AE-4CCA-91F9-949F09230748.thumb.jpeg.6f51225a6a9c302b3d799cb73dc3fe11.jpeg

7B442789-9014-4296-BF20-6BE8AEBD8D5D.thumb.jpeg.eb55897202cb76e802d3bfd89d932c00.jpeg

CF24A3CA-AAC7-465A-8FD9-A9C8980F0B35.thumb.jpeg.d333b826d8865fbcc35ce8b2335206e6.jpeg

For desert we had the Lemon Olive Oil Custard. 

FF3C8AED-E62E-429A-AC1C-9B48959CEAA8.thumb.jpeg.d5bf3c33dd4e985436b023901ebf00c8.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain

When we got back from dinner we were met with a wonder surprise.   A little gift from Pricilla, the Suites Manager.  We really love sailing with her and she leaves tomorrow to join Reflections.  She was suppose to go home From FLL but had to modify her plans. 

993035FE-28A8-43D6-B780-1A466CB98A6A.thumb.jpeg.2af78d808e068c04363539f47f09f242.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1