Jim_Iain – Edge Live Post – B2B – Greek Islands and West Bound TransAtlantic

Jim_Iain

3 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Santorini and Mykonos were two of my favorite ports ever when a friend and I did a Greek Isles cruise on RCCL a couple of summers ago!! Just beautiful!!

We have not yet stopped in either port so are looking forward to them.   We have however been to Athens and Katakolon so aren't planning much for those ports.   Athens is an amazing city and we hit all the hot spots on our own last time.    I believe we will just explore on our own again.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maggie.1008 said:

I see you are going to Catania. We booked a tour through Viator. It`s called Street food walking tour, or something like that. 

The gal that was our guide was fabulous. It was one of the best tours we have ever done. I see you don`t arrive until noon. 

Maybe they have a afternoon tour. Cheers, Heather

Cantania is another new port for us so excited to explore.   We booked a Celebrity Tour  - Taste of Sicily, Mt. Etna and Taormina.    We arrive at noon and our tour is scheduled for 12:15 - 7:15 so will be a busy day.  

41 minutes ago, CruiserMickey said:

Do you have anything planned in Naples and/or Malta? Those are two of the stops on our next cruise. I think we have our plans for Naples sorted (Pompeii and Sorrento) but have no clue what to do in Malta.

I've been to Sorrento before for a Sales Meeting and one of our group bonding events was a day trip to Pompeii.   It is absolutely amazing and could spend hours there.

For Malta I booked another ships tour - Blue Grotto Boat Trip and Marsaxlokk and for Naples so far nothing planned.   I was in Naples as part of the Sales Meeting.   It was really interesting and just a sign of warning to make sure you know what you are paying if you choose a cab.    At one event they gave out an award to who paid the least and most to get from Naples to Sorrento.  The differences in prices paid were incredible -  from $20 - $300.   We had take the High Speed Ferry and came in on the low side.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Eastern flygirl said:

Pick up the Hop On-Hop off bus, really close to the port.  It is not too expensive, and a good tour of the city.

Great suggestion.   We often take Hop On - Hop Off tours.   Great way to get a good overview of a city at a reasonable price.  

We checked in for the International Flights this afternoon.   I may have been flagged for additional inspection as my boarding pass has "International - Check Documents" on the top of my boarding passes while Iain's "Documents OK".  This happened to Iain recently and everytime we went through a check point the pulled him aside for a "Random Inspection".  

17D5B4F1-D043-455F-9B86-C7EA44634FAA.jpeg.f4bee87e98b25523c197fcced8ca1e56.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Cantania is another new port for us so excited to explore.   We booked a Celebrity Tour  - Taste of Sicily, Mt. Etna and Taormina.    We arrive at noon and our tour is scheduled for 12:15 - 7:15 so will be a busy day. 

Just found this today.  Can't wait to hear your take on the Edge.  You will love Mt. Etna and Taormina.  I'm especially looking forward to your reports on Nafpliion & Olympia, Greece as those are the only two ports I haven't been to. 

Safe Travels, Enjoy your Cruise, and once again Thanks in Advance for the live blog!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've been to Sorrento before for a Sales Meeting and one of our group bonding events was a day trip to Pompeii.   It is absolutely amazing and could spend hours there.

We can’t wait to see Pompeii!

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

For Malta I booked another ships tour - Blue Grotto Boat Trip and Marsaxlokk and for Naples so far nothing planned.   I was in Naples as part of the Sales Meeting.   It was really interesting and just a sign of warning to make sure you know what you are paying if you choose a cab.    At one event they gave out an award to who paid the least and most to get from Naples to Sorrento.  The differences in prices paid were incredible -  from $20 - $300.   We had take the High Speed Ferry and came in on the low side.

Thanks for the tip about the cab prices. Good to know!

7 minutes ago, ecslady said:

Just found this today.  Can't wait to hear your take on the Edge.  You will love Mt. Etna and Taormina.  I'm especially looking forward to your reports on Nafpliion & Olympia, Greece as those are the only two ports I haven't been to. 

Safe Travels, Enjoy your Cruise, and once again Thanks in Advance for the live blog!

Thanks and glad you are along for the journey.   My excitement is raising as we get closer to departure.   Packing is mostly done and getting all the electronics together.   Being a techno nerd isn't easy as I get all my electronics together.

6 minutes ago, maggieq said:

Jim, I am so excited for you to cruise ( and this review).  I wish you both safe travels and another amazing cruise. 

Thanks Maggie.    Really starting to get excited.   The cruise seemed so far away until the last 24 hours when time switches to warp speed.   I already have a note on the front door to make sure I don't leave anything behind.

7 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

We took the Blue Grotto tour in Malta and it is still one of the most memorable tours.  Also make sure you are outside for the sail in to the port in Malta, very pretty.

Thanks for the information.   I'm glad that I selected that tour.    The timing was perfect and many of you may recall Iain HATES early morning excursions.   I'm an early morning person so we balance each other well.   Ying/Yang

Hi Jim & Iain!  Glad to be part of your virtual cruise. We used to live on Grape Ave in Sunnyvale!  We’re just off Eclipse (Vancouver to Hawaii) & anxiously awaiting Reflection for MardiGras & b2b ABCs. This will keep me occupied for a time!  Enjoy your cruise!  Melody

40 minutes ago, Eastern flygirl said:

You deserve a five star gold medal for answering all the postings.  I don’t know how you have time to think about packing.  You truly are a fantastic person and deserve the best cruise ever.  Enjoy and I will read every word.  PS— Don’t forget your passport👌

I second that. Jim is top shelf for sure!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, awhfy said:

Hi Jim & Iain!  Glad to be part of your virtual cruise. We used to live on Grape Ave in Sunnyvale!  We’re just off Eclipse (Vancouver to Hawaii) & anxiously awaiting Reflection for MardiGras & b2b ABCs. This will keep me occupied for a time!  Enjoy your cruise!  Melody

Wow.... small world.   Grape avenue is about 1 1/2 mile from our home.   We live around Mary Avenue and Central Expressway.      I'm sure you must have loved your Hawaii cruise.   

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

You're first Greek Island cruise has some great ports that we have not been to either! Will have to look to see if X is doing that route again in the future!!

I suspect they will have it again in future years.   It is a really great cruise this time of year and projections of weather are positive at this time.   Warm days and cool nights.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Eastern flygirl said:

You deserve a five star gold medal for answering all the postings.  I don’t know how you have time to think about packing.  You truly are a fantastic person and deserve the best cruise ever.  Enjoy and I will read every word.  PS— Don’t forget your passport👌

You would remind me of my fiasco a couple years ago when I showed up at the airport and had forgotten my backpack and passport.     The top item on my list on the front door is PASSPORT -  IN ALL CAPS.

Packing is really easy for us.   We generally pack for 7 days and then have laundry done during the cruise.   Unlike many cruisers, Iain and I are about the same size and swap off clothing to give us more variety.   The Zenith benefit of Free Laundry, Pressing and Dry Cleaning REALLY HELPS.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, maggieq said:

I second that. Jim is top shelf for sure!

Now stop that -  you have me blushing.   I really enjoy doing the blogs and our kids and siblings enjoy keeping up with our adventures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1