Jim_Iain – Edge Live Post – B2B – Greek Islands and West Bound TransAtlantic

Jim_Iain

24 minutes ago, jonyboy said:

And I have so much to learn.  We've been on HAL before and were ready to book on HAL again but after talking to our TA and doing a little comparison shopping, we're booked on the Edge for March 1 but are not at all familiar with the do's and don'ts there

I've never traveled another line so really have no basis of comparison.   There are many here who have traveled HAL and other lines that can be a great source of information.    One of the best features of Cruise Critic are their Roll Calls for each specific cruise.    If you haven't I would recommend  joining  your Roll Call.    Many members set up private tours and special meetings before and during the cruise.  

Your Roll Call is:   

It doesn't look very active yet but as the cruise approaches it usually gets very busy.

Great thread Jim. A TA is still on our bucket list. I’m sure we will get around to it at some stage.  We loved the Edge, but doesn’t stop us booking our next 3 cruises on Reflection to ABC next Easter. Silhouette to the Norwegian Fjords in August and Equinox Mardi Gras sailing in 2021.

Looking  forward to your next trip report

24 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

We, too, were fortunate to have Kumar and agree that Luminae handled everything beautifully. DH, like Iain, had a few items from the kid's menu and they don't bat an eye. Also handle special request....with adequate lead time...the same way. Thanks, again, for taking us along. From your blog I've realize that another trip on EDGE is in order as there are some things we missed and others we'd like to experience again. 

I think that Celebrity is listening and trying to help with choices of meals in Luminae.    The chef has been adding some daily off menu items and they have been a real smash.    The Dover Sole on the last evening was a delight.   Kumar pointed out that most of the waiters had never de-boned a Sole and were struggling earlier in the evening.   Kumar on the other hand de-boned it to perfection.   I guess he should have as his father and brothers are fishermen. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bluwes said:

Great thread Jim. A TA is still on our bucket list. I’m sure we will get around to it at some stage.  We loved the Edge, but doesn’t stop us booking our next 3 cruises on Reflection to ABC next Easter. Silhouette to the Norwegian Fjords in August and Equinox Mardi Gras sailing in 2021.

Looking  forward to your next trip report

I'm sure you will be happy that you waited.   I've noticed the prices are starting to normalize and it may be advantageous to book later.    We were luck and booked the first day she was released and found the prices had doubled prior to sailing.  

17 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've never traveled another line so really have no basis of comparison.   There are many here who have traveled HAL and other lines that can be a great source of information.    One of the best features of Cruise Critic are their Roll Calls for each specific cruise.    If you haven't I would recommend  joining  your Roll Call.    Many members set up private tours and special meetings before and during the cruise.  

Your Roll Call is:   

It doesn't look very active yet but as the cruise approaches it usually gets very busy.

I did check out the roll call and you are correct.  Still have plenty of time to get some tips from you Celebrity Edge veterans

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We were originally booked on a cruise that leaves in 91 days.   I wasn't sure how the change or cancellation works on a free cruise.     We shifted to the Equinox March 14.   Now I need to find something with close by date to add an additional week or 2. 

Reflection does 11. nights from the 2nd March from Fort Lauderdale 

8 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

Reflection does 11. nights from the 2nd March from Fort Lauderdale 

I keep an eye on it.    Much of our strategy now is to find the best deal without or no more than 2 perks since we already get the internet and drinks package.    Surprisingly when we booked on board during the Veterans Day sale the 4 perks was less than the 2 perks.    I'm also booking Aqua and then plan on trying to upgrade if prices fall after final payment.  If not we will be happy with Aqua.

I will have to do some research on Reflection.    We have only sailed her once and was disappointed with how the higher suite count affected Luminae.   Not sure if it was the Restaurant Manager who was doing a very poor job or just how passengers showed up for dinner.   Hopefully they have worked out the kinks.

Edited by Jim_Iain

18 hours ago, jonyboy said:

I did check out the roll call and you are correct.  Still have plenty of time to get some tips from you Celebrity Edge veterans

Great.   Join the group by pushing the button Join and introduce yourself.   Also you can sign up for the "Connections Party".    There is a separate link for this.    Celebrity hosts a Meet and Greet near the beginning of the cruise.

Just now, h20cruzer said:

Loved, loved your review and pics, now I will have to go into withdrawals ....

Leaving for the Oasis on 1212/19.

Norma

Have fun Norma.   

Reality struck when I had to prepare dinner last night.    OK it wasn't gourmet -  I re-heated a left over pizza that was in the Freezer. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I keep an eye on it.    Much of our strategy now is to find the best deal without or no more than 2 perks since we already get the internet and drinks package.    Surprisingly when we booked on board during the Veterans Day sale the 4 perks was less than the 2 perks.    I'm also booking Aqua and then plan on trying to upgrade if prices fall after final payment.  If not we will be happy with Aqua.

I will have to do some research on Reflection.    We have only sailed her once and was disappointed with how the higher suite count affected Luminae.   Not sure if it was the Restaurant Manager who was doing a very poor job or just how passengers showed up for dinner.   Hopefully they have worked out the kinks.

I still work so I need to know when I am going. I have always found that suites rarely go down in price unless there are a lot released before final payment. We collect Virgin Flying club miles and usually have enough to do business flights to and from Miami but those gave to be booked when they are released as the number of reward seats seem to be less since the tie up with Delta.

our strategy will change when I still work probably in 18 months and by that time we will be a cruise away from Zenith so that will also help. I still think that we will want a suite as we do enjoy Luminae although it is more likely to be SS rather than the larger ones.

We have only done one Reflection cruise as well and it was while Luminae was being built. At that stage the suites used Blu and it was really busy. A queue every night at 8.30-8.45.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

8 hours ago, silkismom said:

When we get home from a cruise its either Papa Murphys or BBQ chicken from the grocery store--2 days of meals are taken care of while I do laundry etc. and try to get back to normal schedules.

I have to admit it was nice to have a Pizza and not eat a full 3-4 course meal.   This morning I had a good bowl of oatmeal. 

Tonight is going to be one of Iain's British dinners -   Bangers and Mash.    Yum -  Comfort food at it's best.  

5 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

I still work so I need to know when I am going. I have always found that suites rarely go down in price unless there are a lot released before final payment. We collect Virgin Flying club miles and usually have enough to do business flights to and from Miami but those gave to be booked when they are released as the number of reward seats seem to be less since the tie up with Delta.

our strategy will change when I still work probably in 18 months and by that time we will be a cruise away from Zenith so that will also help. I still think that we will want a suite as we do enjoy Luminae although it is more likely to be SS rather than the larger ones.

We have only done one Reflection cruise as well and it was while Luminae was being built. At that stage the suites used Blu and it was really busy. A queue every night at 8.30-8.45.

Good to hear.   I agree that while working we had to schedule our vacations very differently.    Due to work requirements we were limited to only 4 months out of the year so would always book early to make sure we got the room we wanted.  

I do enjoy Luminae but when we travel as much as we do the menu gets stale really quickly and on Edge where you can't order off the main dining room menu it takes away lots of options.    We traveled in Aqua once about 6 months ago and were very impressed with the selections and quality.  

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Good to hear.   I agree that while working we had to schedule our vacations very differently.    Due to work requirements we were limited to only 4 months out of the year so would always book early to make sure we got the room we wanted.  

I do enjoy Luminae but when we travel as much as we do the menu gets stale really quickly and on Edge where you can't order off the main dining room menu it takes away lots of options.    We traveled in Aqua once about 6 months ago and were very impressed with the selections and quality.  

Our first six Celebrity cruises, which we did between November 2012  and March 2014were in AQ and we enjoyed it very much although it is the same as Luminae in that the menu does not change and also become stale. I think Luminae in the S class ships is the best of both worlds being able to access the two menus. When Luminae was announced we had 4 AQ cruises booked which I changed to SS to get the benefit of the new restaurant.

On 10/20/2019 at 6:55 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Just got back from dinner and drinks in the executive lounge. 

Sometime you can’t make up things you see.  While sitting sipping wine a portly gentleman came walking by our table carrying a plate of food and a wine.  In order to get between chairs he must have sucked in his gut.   Next thing we saw, his shorts had fallen down and were around his ankles.  Unable to rectify with his hands full he waddled to his table before being able to pull them up.   

Hi Jim_Iain, loving the review as we are thinking of doing Edge or Apex next year. I was actually in FCO Hilton for business on 22 and 23 Oct, so shortly after you. I think the hotel is the key coordinating point as there were a number of other cruises staying there.

50 minutes ago, Tipsy252 said:

Hi Jim_Iain, loving the review as we are thinking of doing Edge or Apex next year. I was actually in FCO Hilton for business on 22 and 23 Oct, so shortly after you. I think the hotel is the key coordinating point as there were a number of other cruises staying there.

We really enjoy it if just overnighting or even for one day pre-cruise.   It is nice to get off your flight and just walk a short distance and your at your hotel.   When we were there it appeared that Celebrity was using it for their per-cruise hotel.   They had a Celebrity Concierge in the lobby and had shuttle buses to the port. 

Hi Jim,

Thanks for taking everyone along with you... Next year, I will be doing a very similar schedule on the Allure of the Seas at the same week as you.  I am one that is very sensitive to motion sickness, so I'm curious overall how you would describe the seas during the crossing (I understand you cannot predict weather).  I would just like to be prepared with proper medication for our journey.  FYI, I am a seasoned cruiser, so I get it...a little insight would be greatly appreciated.  Again, thanks!

7 hours ago, bulldogmommy said:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for taking everyone along with you... Next year, I will be doing a very similar schedule on the Allure of the Seas at the same week as you.  I am one that is very sensitive to motion sickness, so I'm curious overall how you would describe the seas during the crossing (I understand you cannot predict weather).  I would just like to be prepared with proper medication for our journey.  FYI, I am a seasoned cruiser, so I get it...a little insight would be greatly appreciated.  Again, thanks!

I've done a number of TA's and the Southern Crossing is generally the calmest.   Some have been so smooth that you hardly knew you were aboard. 

This crossing was rougher than most and we experienced 7-18 Foot waves during the crossing.    Most of the winds were coming from the north so the  predominant movement was from Starboard to Port Roll.  While not the roughest cruise we have been on it was far from calm. 

Just out of Toulon where we were hit with gusts up to 80 MPH and 20 Ft waves, the movement was pronounced and I got a little queasy.   I took 1/2 of a Bonine and it did the trick.    No additional meds were required for the remainder of the cruise.   As a side note a number of the crew reported they were feeling queasy also.

When I first started sailing I was very susceptible to motion sickness.    I found that if I took a motion sickness pill the evening  before the cruise and one the morning of the cruise It would calm down my inner ear and would not experience any discomfort.   I didn't need to take any more for the remainder of the cruise.   I guess over the years I got accustomed to the seas and no long affected (most of the time). 

Maybe others here can jump in and let you know what they use to prevent discomfort.   I see many with patches but have never personally used them.

Many many thanks for the insight, I truly pray for those smooth seas you talk of... I wear patches or have them handy for every trip, they have definitely changed how I can tolerate rougher seas.  However at 18ft. nothing but knocking me out seems to help (I'll pack meds for that scenario as well)... I would love to log lots of miles on the ship as you do, it would be a bonus to my marathon training.

I have enjoyed following your adventures! Again, I'm grateful

1 hour ago, bulldogmommy said:

Many many thanks for the insight, I truly pray for those smooth seas you talk of... I wear patches or have them handy for every trip, they have definitely changed how I can tolerate rougher seas.  However at 18ft. nothing but knocking me out seems to help (I'll pack meds for that scenario as well)... I would love to log lots of miles on the ship as you do, it would be a bonus to my marathon training.

I have enjoyed following your adventures! Again, I'm grateful

I also hope you have a smooth crossing.   The last couple of years have had rough seas. You definitely want to be cautious of taking a Northern Crossing.   While I have heard of some calm northern crossing my experience has been the opposite. 

I've also heard that the closer you are do dead center of the ship both up and down as well as front and back the calmer the ride.  

• Like 1