Internet on Celebrity Cruises

elenig29

Hi Everyone,

My family will be cruising for the first time on the Silhoutte.  They really don't explain the extent of what you can use internet wise with the 2 packages for 1 device ( at least maybe I am not getting it).  So they offer the surf internet package and the unlimited internet package both can be used on just one device.  Does anyone know with surf package if I can use facebook and messenger.  The surf states " the ability to text, check email, surf the web, and keep in touch with family and friends while on vacation. This package does not include VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) technology such as FaceTime, Skype, or the ability to stream videos though Netflix and YouTube"

and the unlimited states "Show off your stylish stateroom via FaceTime or Skype. Stream must-see shows from your favorite apps like Netflix. Use your smartphone, tablet, or laptop to connect, or use one of our workstations in the Celebrity iLounge, open 24 hours a day. Enjoy a discounted daily rate for your entire voyage. It's your hassle-free solution to staying connected onboard.  If I can save money and know for sure that I can use facebook and messenger on the Surf one, I obviously would choose that.  Maybe someone from past experience can help.  Thank you

53 minutes ago, elenig29 said:

I am new to this.  I thought i was in the Celebrity forum.  How do I do that?

You are on the X forum. Disregard the PP.

As long as you are just using those apps for text chats you'll be fine with the surf pkg. You just won't be able to use video. You may find it too slow to upload large photos.

On 10/16/2019 at 6:49 PM, 1025cruise said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You might want to ask on the Celebrity forum.

59 minutes ago, elenig29 said:

I am new to this.  I thought i was in the Celebrity forum.  How do I do that?

2 minutes ago, mom says said:

You are on the X forum. Disregard the PP.

It's not uncommon for new members (and old ones too!) to post an inquiry in the wrong forum, in which case another member may point it out and the thread may be moved, but once the thread is in the correct forum, subsequent readers cannot tell that the thread was moved from elsewhere.  I'm not saying that's what happened here, but this does happen and could explain those seemingly odd posts. 

• Like 2

To get back to the question -- its impossible to say for sure that you can do any application on internet while at sea, and that's not just on Celebrity.  Sometimes, it goes down for no reason.  Sometimes the angle of access to the satellites isn't optimal.  Sometimes there are so many users trying to log on simultaneously that it overloads the system.  

Remember that when they say "1 device" they mean "1 device at a time".  Two people can share one package -- the first user logs off, then the second user can log on.  You just can't both be on at the same time with the 1 device plan.

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Yes, that is what happened. I think the original post was in Ask a Cruise Question.

You are experienced enough on here that I was pretty certain that's what had happened.   😊  (Although I have to admit that I once had a brain fart and thought I was in an entirely different forum than the one I was in.  🤣 )

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 6:58 PM, cruisestitch said:

To get back to the question -- its impossible to say for sure that you can do any application on internet while at sea, and that's not just on Celebrity.  Sometimes, it goes down for no reason.  Sometimes the angle of access to the satellites isn't optimal.  Sometimes there are so many users trying to log on simultaneously that it overloads the system.  

Remember that when they say "1 device" they mean "1 device at a time".  Two people can share one package -- the first user logs off, then the second user can log on.  You just can't both be on at the same time with the 1 device plan.

Not sure how it will work with the slow internet, but this router connects to the ships the wifi  signal and rebroadcasts it like a wired router. Connected devices to it like your home wifi. https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Portable-Travel-Router/dp/B00TQEX8BO/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=tp+link+hotspot&qid=1572205293&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-3

We're just off Silhouette.  The difference between the two is really just bandwidth.  If you use very little - basically just things like whatsapp text (not images) facebook messenger etc you'll be fine with the basic.  If you want to upload or watch video - either in posts or streamed from netflix etc - you'll need the unlimited.  The one device is one device at a time - if you log in another device it gives you the opportunity to switch devices so you can go from phone to phone etc.  The family can share one login - but only one at a time.

Internet at sea can be patchy.  But it pretty much copes.  I wouldn't want to try vlogging live because you'd get a drop.  But record and upload later works - although it can be slow. Over the years we've had more problems with connectivity close to land there LOS is limited (like the Fjords) than at sea.  Unless the sea is very rough as the bouncing about can loose the satellite link.

I don't know if there will be a difference post revolution.  We're next back on the Silhouette in July.  I must admit she looks very tired and shabby ATM.  Poor dead tree.

46 minutes ago, GastroGnome said:

We're just off Silhouette. 

I don't know if there will be a difference post revolution.  We're next back on the Silhouette in July.  I must admit she looks very tired and shabby ATM.  Poor dead tree.

Off topic but do you only sail from Southampton then? We found the ship is predominantly filled with Brits, and we prefer a good international mix, so it’s not something we do very often at all (twice for short cruises in all our previous sailings and they have been to Northern Europe, definitely not the Med from there). 

X’s Internet is so expensive compared to other lines considering it’s not very reliable. We stick with our free minutes on X yet purchase an unlimited plan on Princess ($99 for a fortnight last summer).

11 minutes ago, Scottygirl1 said:

Perhaps someone can answer this - I like to keep an online travel blog and post photos on this.  Would the surf package be enough for this?  No video, just lower resolution photos.

You probably won’t be able to post photos on the surf, you can’t in WhatsApp on that plan.

1 minute ago, villauk said:

You probably won’t be able to post photos on the surf, you can’t in WhatsApp on that plan.

Thanks - maybe I'll need to spend more.  I can't get over how expensive the internet is on Celebrity compared to other cruise lines I've sailed on.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 3:46 PM, edknn said:

Not sure how it will work with the slow internet, but this router connects to the ships the wifi  signal and rebroadcasts it like a wired router. Connected devices to it like your home wifi. https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Portable-Travel-Router/dp/B00TQEX8BO/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=tp+link+hotspot&qid=1572205293&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-3

That just lets you share one internet connection, like a hotspot. It doesn't technically slow down or speed up the underlying connection. Also, any Windows 10 computer can easily serve as a mobile hotspot as well, sharing the connection over WiFi or Bluetooth. So in theory, you can pay for one connection, log in with the travel router or the Win10 laptop, and then connect, say, an iPhone and both use the connection simultaneously. Neither solution helps when the two end user devices are in different locations on the ship. Two other potential issues: 1) it may be a violation of the terms & conditions of the Celebrity internet to share a single connection, and 2) Multiple devices will have to share the bandwidth of the underlying connection -- I don't know exactly how, say, the Surf packages work, but if it's limited to, say a 1 Mbps connection, then sharing that through a hotspot would limit the combined bandwidth to 1 Mbps, whereas if you had a "2 device" plan, you'd each get your own 1 Mbps connection. 

Currently on the Eclipse with a surf package.  A bit slow but my biggest frustration is unless I close email, IG or any other site I viewed after 2 it will tell

me I’m  not connected to Internet.  Haven’t tried to post or email  photos but at this point not optimistic.  

3 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Currently on the Eclipse with a surf package.  A bit slow but my biggest frustration is unless I close email, IG or any other site I viewed after 2 it will tell

me I’m  not connected to Internet.  Haven’t tried to post or email  photos but at this point not optimistic.  

Thanks - I've upgraded to the full internet.  I decided life's too short to let it stress me!  

48 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Do you think you could Facetime Audio, (not video), with the surf package?

5 hours ago, HS2BS said:

edknn 

I have tried my tp link and it only repeats the one device signal and does not increase speed or band with.

True. Just let's more than 1 connection. Worked great on Royal Caribbean where the internet was very fast. Celebrity fast internet was about 2/3 slower. The slow would most likely feel like dial up if shared.

Most  of this is over my head......but what  level of service do we get for the E plus perk? 

Sometimes internet is slower than others but we  have uploaded review photos...sometimes with difficulty.