the survey is not anonymous

gerelmx

the waiter, the cabin attendant, etc. In addition to knowing how many tables / cabins did not give them the 10, they can also know who did not give them the 10.
And if one is in consecutive cruises it affects you, they make you pout, bad face, etc.

• Haha 1

Who has told you this?

Personally if we are ever unhappy with the service we receive we discuss it with the waiter/room attendant/whoever else and give them the opportunity to ‘put things right’. Often issues can be quickly resolved, for example, pace of service....If things didn’t improve then I would escalate my complaint. If service after a conversation improves no reason then not to score them highly. 

Whilst I do think this focus on getting a ‘10’ is over the top if I wasn’t going to give it to my room attendant or waiter I think they would already be aware as I would have told them what they were or were not doing to my satisfaction....

I think, perhaps, some guests when asked ‘Is everything ok?’ answer yes but then in the cruise survey express a true opinion. If I was the waiter in such circumstances then I may feel a bit cross and bewildered...

I also think at times that it can be too easy to ‘blame’ a waiter for poor service when in fact your service level is being impacted by another factor, for example, a ‘demanding table’...We have experienced this in the MDR where a large table was constantly sending the assistant waiter for cocktails (no sooner had he got back than someone else on the table wanted something) leaving the head waiter to do everything else. On this occasion we brought the issue to the attention of the M’D and things improved as he managed the situation. Things improved not only for us but for the waiter and assistant waiter too. 

If if I was on a b2b and had experienced waiter service I had marked ‘8’ I would probably ask for a change of seating. If I thought any member of staff was giving me ‘bad looks’ I would speak to the M’D...

• Like 7

I know this because my waiter told me he receive 8 in two tables and this score affects him in a lower salary, and he can go to the computer an see the scores by table and/or cabin number

Edited by gerelmx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, chemmo said:

I also think at times that it can be too easy to ‘blame’ a waiter for poor service when in fact your service level is being impacted by another factor, for example, a ‘demanding table’...We have experienced this in the MDR where a large table was constantly sending the assistant waiter for cocktails (no sooner had he got back than someone else on the table wanted something) leaving the head waiter to do everything else. On this occasion we brought the issue to the attention of the M’D and things improved as he managed the situation. Things improved not only for us but for the waiter and assistant waiter too.

OMG I was in a section with a table just like this on Disney a few years ago. Add to the adults pulling that beverage stunt a couple of kids who whines loudly the moment their ketchup was no longer Mickey shaped, and the poor assistant waiter could do nothing else. Our main server (not head) kept everything else under control so that we did not realize it until the final night when he had been put in cabin quarantine and we had a sub. It was awful that night and we did have to get the head waiter involved finally.

1 hour ago, gerelmx said:

I know this because my waiter told me he receive 8 in two tables and this score affects him in a lower salary, and he can go to the computer an see the scores by table and/or cabin number

How do you know that this is not part of the pitch to get the 10.  I certainly wouldn't take one persons's self serving comment as gospel. 

• Like 5

What I know is as follows:

while speaking with the Maitre d‘ in Blu on our last cruise, I have told her that we have been unhappy with the food on the previous cruise.

She told me that she knows and she could tell me exactly how many points we gave on the last survey - and she did. And she was spot on. She could even repeat my additional comments.

So the data is out, if it‘s shared with how many staff, this is up to the heads of department.

• Like 2

If true...this should be disclosed to those completing the survey.

Having supervisors see it is the purpose of having it, but not those being reviewed. Anonymity would not make it less valuable.......had no idea !

So, if you don't want a pouty-faced cabin steward or wait staff at you table, wait until the actual end of your back to back cruise to fill in the survey. And if they insist on a survey for each leg of your cruise, and the service was only an 8,  give everybody a 10 for the first cruise and 4's for the second cruise for an average of 8. Isn't math wonderful. 😊

Each Hotess's stand has a computer and I have seen them checking the reviews from the previous cruises making comments when they saw something negative.  I asked to see mine on a b2b and sure enough, the numbered ratings appeared in addition to all my comments.   It doesn't hurt to give all tens, especially on a b2b because they are humans with feelings and have long memories.  Costs me nothing to be generous with my scoring.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

So, if you don't want a pouty-faced cabin steward or wait staff at you table, wait until the actual end of your back to back cruise to fill in the survey. And if they insist on a survey for each leg of your cruise, and the service was only an 8,  give everybody a 10 for the first cruise and 4's for the second cruise for an average of 8. Isn't math wonderful. 😊

Yes it is wonderful. Although I guess you know it is 7.😎

• Like 1

And so its shared, no different in much of the hospitality industry, Comment cards where always evaluated and replied to if need be at the places I worked.  Im also one who will mention something quickly if I see something in service food etc right away.  If I see no adjustments then that is an issue.  I also do take into account on what is going on around me.  Demanding tables full bars. I tend to search out the head waiters, hotel director and introduce myself most cruises. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Eh, excuse me, 10+4=14/2=7, yes?  Minor point but we get your meaning! Great idea!

This does not surprise me as I would expect they know if someone was unhappy--and their supervisor would discuss it with them. If there are significant comments and complaints- they would know it just like they know what people say that applauds them/commends them

I know for certain the on board cards are fwd to the supervisors and then the crew member gets a copy of the notes. We learned this a few cruises ago.

What I do wonder is if the crew members ever can make notes/rate passengers? Is there anything that notes pax are easy and pleasant or difficult and entitled? Rude or polite? Tippers or not? 

We had extraordinary service on a recent B2B and several things made us wonder ... because the service we got was AMAZING!  We gave 10s because it really was a 10... And we tipped out heavy in cash above and beyond the auto grats. Just AMAZING

Edited by Fogfog
  • Like 1

I skip surveys. Waste of time. Usually I extend trips before and after a cruise. I figured that if the survey disappeared in a week, it wasn’t very important.  I thought of it as an outlet for guests to complain.  Never thought it was tied to crew compensation. Maybe I should respond to those surveys.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spencerdrivecruiser said:

Each Hotess's stand has a computer and I have seen them checking the reviews from the previous cruises making comments when they saw something negative.  I asked to see mine on a b2b and sure enough, the numbered ratings appeared in addition to all my comments.   It doesn't hurt to give all tens, especially on a b2b because they are humans with feelings and have long memories.  Costs me nothing to be generous with my scoring.

No wonder they love us so much in BLU..They must look everyone up.

We always have 10s for BLU..last time  on EDGE, kitchen was slow but service in dining rm top notch as ususl.

The comments are given to the crew, and it seems that they like to receive positive comments: it gives them motivation.

But I'm really unhappy that the comments and notes are not anonymous.

About the scores: CD repeats often that we should adopt "American" style: 10 = I'm happy with service, and not the "European": 10 = perfect (no margin to improve) [which is nearly impossible, we can all do better].

So it seems that the survey (and celebrity) is just looking to find the "good enough" (with lesser effort), not really to search for the perfection.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I skip surveys. Waste of time. Usually I extend trips before and after a cruise. I figured that if the survey disappeared in a week, it wasn’t very important.  I thought of it as an outlet for guests to complain.  Never thought it was tied to crew compensation. Maybe I should respond to those surveys.

On a B2B they give you a code to use the internet for 30 min so you can do the survey from the previous sailing.

The surveys are very important for crew compensation and promotions etc. 

Celebrity takes those surveys seriously

7 hours ago, gerelmx said:

the waiter, the cabin attendant, etc. In addition to knowing how many tables / cabins did not give them the 10, they can also know who did not give them the 10.
And if one is in consecutive cruises it affects you, they make you pout, bad face, etc.

How do they (?) do that?