the survey is not anonymous

gerelmx

I stopped filling out the surveys once I realized there is no spot to mention any particular problems encountered.  Hotel surveys ask if you encountered a problem...did you bring it to the hotel's attention....was it solved.  I felt X only wanted to use the all 10 business for advertising purposes.  If they are not anonymous...all the more reason to skip them.  And I agree that if they were really important the survey would be valid for longer than one week.

• Like 2

What is the big deal about sharing the survey results with the staff involved?  It might be helpful to let them know about specific issues that were encountered.  The survey is post-cruise.  Why are some worried about retribution?  You are no longer on the ship. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

What is the big deal about sharing the survey results with the staff involved?  It might be helpful to let them know about specific issues that were encountered.  The survey is post-cruise.  Why are some worried about retribution?  You are no longer on the ship. 

Agreed. 

And if you ARE back to back, why would you want to have servers again that were bad enough to warrant complaining on the survey. If they were that bad, I had spoken with the head waiter and/or hotel director, and things continued, I would ask to be reassigned to different servers on the back to back portion.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Agree. We rather be part of the solution not part of the problem. When doing a B2B cruise I will fill out the PCS at the beginning of the second leg (first leg survey is only available for 7 days) using our free internet minutes. "If" I were to give less than a 10 to a certain individual I could care less if I got the stink eye from them. On our September Summit cruise (14 nights) midway through we were given WOW cards to recognize anyone. We did and received positive feed back from that individual (stateroom attendant) and the hotel director.  

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, Cirdan said:

About the scores: CD repeats often that we should adopt "American" style: 10 = I'm happy with service, and not the "European": 10 = perfect (no margin to improve) [which is nearly impossible, we can all do better].

Doesn't seem to be much point in having a scale from 1-10 then really...

May as well just be honest and ask 'Were most things generally OK?' Y/N

• Like 1

Hi everyone! We have been back from our B2B a week tomorrow, at the end of the first leg I did not receive the survey email, so I mentioned it to guest relations who said they would see it was sent to me. I still did not receive it so I mentioned to the captains club host, he came back and said my email address was missing a letter! This is the same address I’ve used for well over 20 cruises. So they said to fill in the email at the end of the second cruise.

We were staying in the same stateroom and a couple of days later our cabin attendant let us know he knew we had not filled in the survey, he was upset because he thought we were not happy with him; I filled out a card listing all the staff I was pleased with,

him especially as he was one of the best we have had. So they do know the results of these surveys. Dianne.

3 minutes ago, di T said:

Hi everyone! We have been back from our B2B a week tomorrow, at the end of the first leg I did not receive the survey email, so I mentioned it to guest relations who said they would see it was sent to me. I still did not receive it so I mentioned to the captains club host, he came back and said my email address was missing a letter! This is the same address I’ve used for well over 20 cruises. So they said to fill in the email at the end of the second cruise.

We were staying in the same stateroom and a couple of days later our cabin attendant let us know he knew we had not filled in the survey, he was upset because he thought we were not happy with him; I filled out a card listing all the staff I was pleased with,

him especially as he was one of the best we have had. So they do know the results of these surveys. Dianne.

As they should. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

As they should. 

Totally agree, and I like the mid cruise comments card you sometimes get. That way if there’s a problem there’s time to sort it before the end of the cruise, and any positive feedback gets passed on! Dianne

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever put something on a survey form that I've not already relayed to the individual concerned, so I have no problem with them seeing my comments.

The problem is with the perception that good enough = 10

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

I don't think I've ever put something on a survey form that I've not already relayed to the individual concerned, so I have no problem with them seeing my comments.

The problem is with the perception that good enough = 10

I think they should get our comments, but they should not know who did the comment. As original OP, it will be weird on B2B cruises.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cirdan said:

I think they should get our comments, but they should not know who did the comment. As original OP, it will be weird on B2B cruises.

Why for being honest. If there is an issue it needs to be addressed and hopefully corrected so the next group of people won't have the same issues/problems as you experienced. On all of our B2B cruises the only repeat staff member we have had is our stateroom attendant as we don't switch staterooms. In that case we would personally speak with him about an issue long before doing the PCS. So far that has never happened. 

Edited by davekathy

I sort of get it, but seriously, what are you putting on a comment card that you wouldn't already have said to their face?

If you don't tell them what is wrong while they have a chance to fix it, I wouldn't put it on the form...

If it is something more serious I would have already escalated it to management at the time.

I really do think it is the odd (in my view) attitude that anything less than a 10 is upsetting to them.

A perfectly adequate but unexceptional service should be an 8 at most and their normal share of the pool should be based around that with exceptional service (a true 10) getting a bonus.

Expecting a 10 while delivering nothing above and beyond is going to lead to disappointment.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

I sort of get it, but seriously, what are you putting on a comment card that you wouldn't already have said to their face?

If you don't tell them what is wrong while they have a chance to fix it, I wouldn't put it on the form...

If it is something more serious I would have already escalated it to management at the time.

I really do think it is the odd (in my view) attitude that anything less than a 10 is upsetting to them.

A perfectly adequate but unexceptional service should be an 8 at most and their normal share of the pool should be based around that with exceptional service (a true 10) getting a bonus.

Expecting a 10 while delivering nothing above and beyond is going to lead to disappointment.

For us our criteria for a 10 score is not going above and beyond, but just providing the service they are getting paid for. No different than any other non cruise related service you are paying for.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

It's upsetting to them because Celebrity views anything less than a 10 to be a failure and treats the employees accordingly. While it's good to have high expectations of one's employees, it's totally unrealistic and unreasonable to expect them all to be perfect. Any graph of the distribution of employee scores would be so negatively skewed as to make the results meaningless.

15 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

It's upsetting to them because Celebrity views anything less than a 10 to be a failure and treats the employees accordingly. While it's good to have high expectations of one's employees, it's totally unrealistic and unreasonable to expect them all to be perfect. Any graph of the distribution of employee scores would be so negatively skewed as to make the results meaningless.

That is why you have a range of scores that encompass everything from adequate to exemplary and set the norm accordingly.

It is perverse to offer a scoring range of 1-10 and then set the bar for 'adequate' to be 10...

• Like 4

As others have mentioned, I just hate the begging for a 10. We had a wonderful waitress in the MDR last January, but we had to tell her "we understand" a few times  so she would leave the table. We did give her a 10 and also a generous additional tip at the end.

I blame this on the system that Celebrity created and not on the staff. I'm still not sure if I will do it on our next cruise. We probably will, but it leaves a bad taste in our mouth.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

That is why you have a range of scores that encompass everything from adequate to exemplary and set the norm accordingly.

It is perverse to offer a scoring range of 1-10 and then set the bar for 'adequate' to be 10...

Yes

We have been told for years they are tied to compensation. While I am thrilled to give all 10’s when it is, I know what 10 service is, and I dislike being told to give 10’s when it’s less than.

Sometimes a dining room is so understaffed or undertrained  complaining will only add more stress to the service. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

This is a recent trend, I've seen this with several other businesses not just Celebrity.  Their goal is to always make you completely satisfied.

6 hours ago, spencerdrivecruiser said:

....    It doesn't hurt to give all tens, especially on a b2b because they are humans with feelings and have long memories.  Costs me nothing to be generous with my scoring.

But if their job performance is falling short, shouldn't their supervisor know?  In other jobs you are warned and eventually let go if you don't perform.  I do take into account that the kitchen may be the origin of slow service, or that large table with many demands, but it's easy to tell if the waiter or cabin steward is the problem as well.

We, too, usually speak with the maitre 'd or guest services and things are corrected then.  When this happens my score for the survey also changes for the better.  If people don't know what's wrong they can't correct it.

I am always honest with my comments and scores and if someone or something deserves a six, then that's what you give them.  Why would you work on improving if you do less or subpar work, and continue receiving a ten?

7 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

So, if you don't want a pouty-faced cabin steward or wait staff at you table, wait until the actual end of your back to back cruise to fill in the survey. And if they insist on a survey for each leg of your cruise, and the service was only an 8,  give everybody a 10 for the first cruise and 4's for the second cruise for an average of 8. Isn't math wonderful. 😊

Math is wonderful, yes but the average of 10 and 4 is 7, not 8!

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

This is a recent trend, I've seen this with several other businesses not just Celebrity.  Their goal is to always make you completely satisfied.

Fudging the scores does not make me completely satisfied.  I do not play the fake 10 game.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I stopped filling out the surveys once I realized there is no spot to mention any particular problems encountered.  Hotel surveys ask if you encountered a problem...did you bring it to the hotel's attention....was it solved.  I felt X only wanted to use the all 10 business for advertising purposes.  If they are not anonymous...all the more reason to skip them.  And I agree that if they were really important the survey would be valid for longer than one week.

I agree 100% about your first point.  The hard copy surveys had room for comments about things that could be improved.  The current surveys only want to hear how wonderful things are.  I will do the surveys when things are good as I want to give credit to those staff members who went above and beyond.  If I do have any issues I address them at the time first with the person involved, then their superior and/or guest relations.  It is rare that the issues don't get fixed.  If they don't despite all my efforts, I will rate them accordingly and scowls or grumpy stares be damned.