10-17-19 Thursday Weigh-In...Fall Weather..Comfort Food?

Belle

Do you make comfort food when it starts to get cool

Or do you BBQ and think of the sun and going in a pool

Comfort food is so good but usually lots of carbs we know

Do you try to make it just with less carbs or just say no

Know it's cooler most in most states and some with snow

Is it harder to exercise and get that glow

Also soon most will change our clocks back as they say

It will get dark sooner then we like each day

Does that make you want to eat earlier then you want a snack later at night

We really have to think and plan our eating and exercising.... right

Plus the Holidays are coming..the ones where we want to eat all the food

Because Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years everything is good

So here we go again......

Trying to have loss's and no gains for ALL of us on January 2nd!

WE CAN DO IT!..RIGHT?

OUR FEELING'S ON THE SUBJECT!:classic_tongue::classic_ohmy::classic_rolleyes::classic_sad::classic_smile: (no crying one):classic_laugh:

• Like 2

Hi Belle. For me regarding the holidays, I usually let myself indulge the day of and then keep to my plan the rest of the time. I love comfort food tho. Of course everyone does!

Weightwise, I am still at a plateau. Annoying but I know if I just keep on keeping on, it will eventually fix itself. Hard to wait though!

I tend to have more trouble maintaining than with losing, does anyone else have that problem?

• Like 1

Thanks for the poem Belle!!!!

Heathersmoo - there is a very fine line between maintaining and gaining ... losing seems to start with more motivation with goals ..... trying to maintain doesn't seem to have the same achievement feeling!

I have been gaining and losing the same weight again ... This week I am up 0.8# ... which is what I had been down a few weeks ago.  I need to get more motivation ... but it is ok!

I love comfort food ... I have noticed that in other areas of the country there are other ideas of what "comfort food" consists of.  For me it is a pot roast, mashed potatoes, or a lovely homemade pot pie ... or a wonderful pork loin roast again with mashed potatoes .... heavy and warm!!! 

It is already getting dark early here and with another hour difference it will end up being dark by 4 ... but only until December and then will start going the other way .... a minute at a time!   

Good luck to all this week.  Jan 

• Like 2

Hello,

Belle, thanks for the poem, glad you're back. Let us know how you did with gain, loss or stay the same.

I stayed the same this week. Not surprised, BBQ last weekend and eating out...…..I cruise in 2 weeks for 21 days. Hope I lose a couple lbs. by then but may have to go to Plan B...….eat less!

Heathersmoo, yes keep at it. 

Jenny, good loss.

Jan, glad you had a loss. I do a lot of losing and gaining the same few lbs...……...

Have a good everyone, Diana

• Like 2

I'm at a plateau too.  No gain, but no loss either.

I agree that motivation is harder to maintain than to lose.

My meal plan has been more comfort foods this week as the weather drops, and now that we are home from soccer games to cook and eat.  They are higher carb meals, but I'm trying to make better choices with them as a whole.  Monday was tacos (that's an all-the-time food but still comforting) and I ran out of dressing mix (we like Italian dressing on ours) so that helped the calories/fat a little.  Tuesday was a pot roast with root vegetables (potato, parsnip, carrot, onion) - high carb veggies but no extra bread and no butter.  Last night was using up left over ham and the rest of the potatoes sliced and baked in a cheesy sauce; opted for green beans as vegetable and no extra bread again.

I think the left over roast and veggies will become a pot pie (one crust only) and the left over ham & potatoes will be a frittata with spinach salad.

• Like 2

Hi ladies, 

Belle - Hope you are having a great time on your cruises.Tthank you for the poem and yes, I've been indulging in comfort food this week - came home from my work week in Philly with a nasty cold. All I've wanted is warm, creamy soups and stews full of hearty goodness. Plus we had Canadian Thanksgiving on Monday so there was turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, fresh buns, lots of veggies and a nice, warm apple pie... Mmmm...

Heathersmoo - staying the same can be hard to accept but it is better than a gain. Keep at it!

Jan - Sorry to hear you just keep yo-yoing with the same pound. Very frustrating. And yes, very dark here as well now in the mornings/evenings. I took my dog out for a walk this morning and by 6:40 it was just starting to brighten up. We are the West Coast and voted to keep Daylight Savings Time year round. It won't happen this year but I'm thinking if accepted, it will be in a effect next year. That will be interesting. I hate the twice yearly time changes. 

JennyB - Congrats on your loss!! That is great! And yes, Red Wine is best for weight maintenance, your health and I recently read, keeping wrinkles at bay... lol. Not sure if that's true but why take the chance... Lol. Where do you blog?

Diana - Sounds like you've had a great week and no gain is good. Keep at it and hopefully you will lose a bit before your cruise. 21 Days at sea sounds heavenly!

PACruise - Your meals this week sound delish! Congrats on no loss. 

I'm up 3 pounds since my last weigh in, three weeks ago. And I've actually gained most of it the last week. I was home for a night after the cruise/before Philly and I weighed myself and had only gained one pound. I gained the next two by eating too much comfort foods, carbs and sweets this last week. Plus with the cold I have, I had zero energy or motivation to get out and walk or exercise. I was feeling better this morning so took the dog for an hour's walk. I have a homemade chicken noodle soup simmering in my crock pot as I type (homemade stock but root veg and egg noodles) so hopefully a bowl of that for dinner will help with the cold and get me back on track. 

Have a great week everyone!

• Like 2

The soup sounds great Robin.  Sorry you were sick, but glad you are feeling better and betting back on track.

My knee and hip have been acting up (at least it's opposite legs 😉 ), but I still forced myself to do walking group today and managed over 3.5 miles.

• Like 3

As for comfort food...I created this little gem that was great as a side to the breast meat from a rotisserie chicken. I cooked 1 bag of Success Boil-N-Bag Rice (makes about 1 cup), then when done I returned it to the warm pot with 1 tbsp butter (salt free always), 1/2c shredded cheddar cheese and 2 tbsp 2% milk. It's like Mac and Cheese only with rice LOL The next time I added some frozen corn - cooked first. You could add peas or broccoli. The whole recipe (minus corn) is about 650 calories. Could feed 2-3 adults.

@RobinCruiser jennybvacations.wordpress.com

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

My knee and hip have been acting up (at least it's opposite legs 😉 ), but I still forced myself to do walking group today and managed over 3.5 miles.

Sorry to hear about the knee and hip but congrats on the great walk!! I use a Google Map pedometer to calculate distance and me and Jax only did 2.4 miles this morning. So good job! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I finally jumped off that plateau! I'm down 2.4 pounds this week - hopefully next week I can lose 1.5 and be able to say that I'm officially down 30 pounds. 🤞 

When I hit 30 pounds, I'm going to get a massage. Do you give yourself rewards for hitting your goals, and if so, what are they? 

• Like 2

Hi, all.   I have been weighing myself but not having the time to get on here and post.   Belle, thanks for the poem.  I hope that you have been enjoying your cruises.

Congrats to all the losers and stay the samers.   Sorry about the gain, Jan and Robin.

I am still maintaining at my goal weight.  I would still like to get down another five pounds before my next cruise in April.  

Rose

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

I finally jumped off that plateau! I'm down 2.4 pounds this week - hopefully next week I can lose 1.5 and be able to say that I'm officially down 30 pounds. 🤞 

When I hit 30 pounds, I'm going to get a massage. Do you give yourself rewards for hitting your goals, and if so, what are they? 

Wow that's awesome, congrats on your loss. I'll be rooting for you to hit 30 pounds next week!

I would think that if I hit a big goal, something like 30 pounds, I would definitely plan for a reward. I would think maybe go shopping to buy something new!

Edited by RobinCruiser
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, RobinCruiser said:

Wow that's awesome, congrats on your loss. I'll be rooting for you to hit 30 pounds next week!

I would think that if I hit a big goal, something like 30 pounds, I would definitely plan for a reward. I would think maybe go shopping to buy something new!

I bought new clothes for our cruise last month, mostly shorts and a couple tops. I could replace my jeans and get a cute pair of boots now that it's starting to get cooler. 🍂 

Hello everyone. Sorry not on sooner but "stuff" always get's in the way.

Seems like a good week was had for most of you. The rest of us had a "bump" in the road.

I gained 2 lbs but don't think it was from the 30 day cruise but from my 3 1/2 days at home.

Just ate to many carbs. It's crazy don't gain on a 30 day cruise but gain in a short time at home!:classic_ohmy:

Need to go shopping and get better choices to eat.  Will get it off. Have to. Leave on next cruise in

two weeks and four days!

Hope everyone has a good weekend and your weather is good. I've been cold after being in Mexico.

Came home to cooler weather than normal. Of Course! But warmer next week.

Take care everyone.

• Like 3

Belle, well, it's only 2 lbs. That's nothing! Where are you off to next?

pacruise, you stayed the same like. 

Robin, sorry for the gain.

Katmu and Melmar, good losses. Melmar, congrats on that total loss, awesome.

Rose, ok mainitaining. That's difficult too. 

Hope everyone has a nice rest of the weekend, Diana

• Like 1

Hello Everyone. Hope your weekend is going well.

I weighed today (last time was Thursday) and the 2 lb gain is gone. But won't count

on it. Long time to Thursday's weigh-in. Will hope it stays off and hope for more loss.

Diana I'm going to the Caribbean. Where are you going? What day are you leaving?

I'm Nov. 6th for 28 days.

Rose great at staying at goal. That's harder then losing.

Melmar, Katmu and Jenny good loss's this week.

Congrats to all who are exercising.

Smiles to all that have to buy smaller clothes.

Will we all have to keep plugging along this week. Loss's are in our futures!:classic_smile:

• Like 2

Belle where in the Caribbean will you be?  I'm leaving on November 8th and will be gone for 13 days ... would love to do an even longer cruise!!!!  We have a lot of sea days (will be at St. Thomas, St. Lucia, Antigua, Tortola, Barbados, St. Kitts).  

Hope you keep the 2# off this week ... I'm finding it difficult not to just eat constantly this week!!!!  Jan 

• Like 1

Happy Sunday Ladies! I'm so envious of you both Jan and Belle - I love the Caribbean! I am doing a Western Carib but not until end of April..... so I have lots of time to make my goal!!

Hope you are all having a great weekend. I planned out the week's menus, then went grocery shopping and mostly stuck to the plan… DH came along and added a few things to the cart that are not diet friendly but not my favourites so I should have no problem avoiding them. 

I have just made a double batch of Maui Black Bean soup - love this stuff! I always double the seasonings for more flavor. Anyway, that will be my dinner tonight and lunches for the week. 

Hoping for big losses and great weigh-ins on Thursday!

Belle, wow good losing in just a few days. Ooh your Caribbean cruise sounds great.

We are going Nov. 3rd to 24th on NCL Bliss Long Beach, CA to NY though the Panama Canal. Some ports in Mexico, Columbia, Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten. Basically they are all repeat ports but that's ok. 

Have a good day all.

Diana

Edited by winewanderer

So many good recipe ideas!

As far as maintaining goes, it is less about motivation for me than physicality.  I will get to my GW, then add calories slowly, 100 cal a month at a time while still losing, adding 50 cal when the loss gets slower... and then bam, I will gain a bunch suddenly!  Very frustrating.  I could keep losing but at my height (6ft even), I go from slim to skeletal quickly.  

Good luck this week to all!

Jan and Diana..I'm going to a few new ports and to ones I've been to a few times.

I think that those who like to cruise like to go to new places but like to go to places we've been to before.

Have our favorites plus we just like being on a cruise on the sea. No matter what sea.

In fact going to a few ports that you both are going to.  We're all leaving at different times.

Jan same ports we have are....St. Thomas, Barbados and St. Kitts🚢

Diana same ports we have are....Aruba, Curacao and St. Maarten🚢

I have internet the 1st 14 days, not sure of last 14. So can come in here then and say ..

Hello to everyone while I'm gone. Know someone will come in here and start the thread

if I can't in Nov. Everyone so nice in here.

Robin you'll love your cruise in April and we will be jealous your there and we're not!:classic_biggrin:

Nice on planning for the week. That's why you lose. The soup sounds good.

Hope you all had a nice Sunday and have a Good Monday to start the week right.

Eat Less...Exercise More...Drink Water

If you drink lots of water, will eat less and will get exercise walking to the bathroom..:classic_laugh:

Belle - we will be in St. Thomas on Nov. 12th, Barbados on Nov 14, and St. Kitts on Nov 16th ... are you going to be in any of those ports at the same time (highly unlikely, but thought I'd ask ... after all these years, would love to spend a minute or two actually talking!!!!).  Jan

On 10/17/2019 at 6:05 PM, melmar02 said:

I'm going to get my hair colored for the first time (had baby lights once, but that is removing pigment not changing color) once I lose the next 5 pounds.  I'm 46 but just now reaching a point in my life where I have both the time and finances to do more "beauty stuff" so after the coloring it will probably be some make-up purchases at 10# increments.

18 hours ago, RobinCruiser said:

I have just made a double batch of Maui Black Bean soup - love this stuff! I always double the seasonings for more flavor. Anyway, that will be my dinner tonight and lunches for the week. 

Hoping for big losses and great weigh-ins on Thursday!

Can you share your recipe?

• Like 1