3 days in St Petersburg with a travel wheelchair

Cornishpastyman1

With such a great port we were desperate to make the most of every minute and debated whether my mother (81) would be able to cope with the 3 day tour offered by the major players, as although she can manage steps and walk short distances she gets quite tired quite quickly.

As a family party of 6 we very much wanted to stay together so rather than split up we reasoned that with a lightweight chair (and several pushers) she would be OK. Words/phrases like ‘strenuous’, ‘comfort’, ‘lots of walking' etc mean different things to different people and we didn’t her feeling she was holding the group back, or of course suffer because of the pace and intensity of 3 days/26 hours in St P.

So we booked the 3-day Deluxe Tour with SPB Tours (magnificent). The maximum number is 16 - we were just 10 in total but the van was big enough for 16 in comfort. Our wheelchair is very light and folds down to around 12 inches wide so easily fitted in the back of such a vehicle, but one that does not fold is not suitable for this tour.

In case this gives help or insight to those with similar thoughts and concerns, the videos show just about everything we did. Some places were easier than others but overall if your situation is similar to ours this tour will also be for you. Despite the itinerary there is a fair amount of slack in the schedule and opportunity to rest. In extremis you can always stay in the van with your friendly driver should you need a break.  

Days 1 and 3 were spent in the city. My brief summary of how wheelchair-friendly each ‘attraction’ is :

THE HERMITAGE - not suitable as the sheer volume of people makes getting close to the exhibits impossible, and you would always be worried about running into them. Mum walked it all on a very hot day for around an hour, although the option to bail out and wait in the café was always there. For her, this was the hardest part of the 3 days.

CHURCH OF THE SAVIOUR IN SPILLED BLOOD (CSB) - very easy as it is a decent-sized church with those fabulous mosaic walls and ceilings to admire and some stone seating if needed.

METRO RIDE - Not suitable, as there are many steps down into the station. We left the chair in the van. After those initial steps it’s escalators and trains and very well worth doing if you get the chance. If you can’t manage the steps just stay in the van and meet up with the others in 15 minutes time - and have an alternative mini-tour of the city with the driver !

FABERGÉ MUSEUM - Fairly easy as it is nowhere near as busy as the Hermitage so you can get close to the display cabinets. But we left it in the corner of each room as we passed through so she could walk up to them for the best view. The museum has 9 of the 43 Imperial eggs found to date. Wanting a  souvenir from the trip I bought an 'egg’ from the souvenir shop. They are in plentiful supply both on the ship and at the port terminal but I wanted one from the great man’s museum. 

PETER AND PAUL CATHEDRAL - The courtyard leading to the entrance is fairly cobbled so needs care, and inside is very busy, so the same issues as the Hermitage. I didn’t see anywhere to leave the wheelchair unattended so just folded it and wheeled it around while mum walked. No problem as you are in and out in around 15 minutes.

St ISAAC'S CATHEDRAL - even bigger than the CSB so plenty of room to use it inside if necessary.

CANAL BOAT RIDE - no problem taking it on board but there were 3 steps down to the undercover seating.

YUSUPOV PALACE  - not suitable, especially 'Rasputin’s basement’. We left the chair just inside the entrance and spent around 35 minutes wandering through the palace and basement. After the Hermitage this was the most difficult for mum as there are few opportunities to sit and we didn’t stay very long at any one place in any case. There is a booth where you can pay a small charge for photo and video, which I dutifully did, wearing my sticker of proof. And soon noticed stickerless tourists filming away on their phone, so maybe it’s not mandatory.

On Day 2 we went into the country to Peterhof and the Catherine Palace. They are 20 and 25 miles from the port and in different directions so with a lunch break make up a full day. You may be taken to a department store at the end of it before heading back to the ship - ideal for buying Russian dolls if those on the ship or at the port are not your liking.

PETERHOF with its wide open spaces is ideal for wheelchairs. My only caveat is that returning from the Grand Cascade area to the upper gardens to exit the park requires pushing up a fairly gentle but loose slope. Ask for help if you need it, there are sure to be plenty of people around. To avoid damage to the original flooring wheelchairs are not permitted in Monplaisir, Peter’s summer residence, but you are in and out in under 15 minutes so not too much waiting time for those that don’t go in.

THE CATHERINE PALACE totally wheelchair friendly but we were asked to use their chair, as ours might have marked the parquet flooring. That was fine - theirs was more comfortable.

We were lucky to have 3 days in this fantastic city. If you have 2, and assuming you do the Peterhof/Catherine Palace day you will have to drop 2 out of the Fabergé Museum, Yusupov Palace and the canal ride. 

I hope this helps if someone on your visit has mobility issues. On the rest of the cruise (Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki,Tallinn, Helsingborg and Skagen) we got around very well, the only really difficult place being the upper parts of Tallinn where the cobbles are monsters. But as mum can walk that was OK, and if she was too tired there was always an easier route.

All the best, Tony

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The final 2 ports on this Baltic cruise, both much less well- known than the others. 

KRONBORG is fun, but the castle is not wheelchair accessible.

SKAGEN - Not much to say about this one. It was a pleasant way to spend a morning and the Sandormen is cash only, so have a few D Kr on you if you want to go where the 2 seas meet.

All the best, Tony