Cancelation

gvfricke

We had to cancel a St. Louis to St. Paul trip because of a medical situation. Because it was near the sailing date the refund was 80%. In addition there was a $250 per person 'Administrative Charge'. That is pretty tacky to say the least. Both items are spelled out in their literature. We had paid $1,140 for 'Cruise Cancellation Protection' which I assume was not actual insurance but a fee that they pocket. This was deducted from our refund also. Long and short we got back 68% of what we spent. Compare that with the cruise that we had booked with Seabourn which we also had to cancel within two weeks of sailing. We paid for travel insurance and I've been told by our travel agent that we will get a refund of 100% of what we paid.

I think most travelers are aware that it is more expensive to cruise on US vessels vs other countries.  The American Cruise Line cruise original cost per day was $1,750. That is approximately twice the per day cost on Seabourn that has an open bar,  no tipping, and 300 sq.ft cabins with verandas.

On 10/17/2019 at 11:50 AM, gvfricke said:

The American Cruise Line cruise original cost per day was $1,750. That is approximately twice the per day cost on Seabourn that has an open bar,  no tipping, and 300 sq.ft cabins with verandas.

ACL has an open bar from late afternoon on, no tipping, and all cabins except the very cheapest level are in excess of 300 sq.ft cabins with balconies.  I assume you were on Harmony.  

On 10/17/2019 at 11:50 AM, gvfricke said:

Compare that with the cruise that we had booked with Seabourn which we also had to cancel within two weeks of sailing. We paid for travel insurance and I've been told by our travel agent that we will get a refund of 100% of what we paid.

You didn't mention how long ago you took the Seabourn cruise, or how much you paid for the SeabournShield insurance plan.  ACL has already given you your refund, but Seabourn hasn't yet?

On 10/19/2019 at 12:18 PM, DaveinCharlotte said:

You didn't mention...how much you paid for the SeabournShield insurance plan.

You got me curious, wondering how expensive ACL insurance was versus Seabourn.  Did a dummy booking with ACL, roughly equivalent to the cruise you took (AAM level, $1140 insurance, etc.)  ACL's insurance came out to about 12.75% of the portion of the cruise cost they reimburse.  Then did a dummy Seabourn cruise, Veranda suite, 11-day cruise (couldn't find a cruise as short as your ACL cruise).  Seabourn wanted $1350 insurance for that cruise, which came out to just 8.5% of the portion of the cruise cost they reimburse (which is, as you say, 100%).  So yes, as with the cruise cost per day itself, ACL insurance is indeed higher than Seabourn.  

Our Seabourn refund is in process so at this point I can't yet confirm that we'll get 100% back.  By the way the 19 day Seabourn cruise was to depart 4 days after the ACL cruise.  The insurance was $1,998 for a trip of $18,000+

I appreciated your post.   I had a great cruise on the Pride on the Columbia River and booked another cruise for the spring w/ friend.   So far no problems yet.    BUT

i also booked 2 solo cruises for 2021 (need to book early if want solo cabin)

I am  starting to have concerns with a 2021 cruise.  It was for May 16 , 6 night.

that specific cruise is no longer listed . It has been replaced with a different ship and different port and 7 nights . Specific itinerary not listed.    My travel agent wasn’t even aware.  She called ACL and they said changes will be confirmed by end of this week.   (Really the change is already in computer)

people beware ... ACL has in brochure.

Itineraries, schedules , routes, ships and staterooms are always subject o change, without notice  due to weather, availability of docks or locks, shoals, River condition, mechanical OR. ANY OTHER  REASON   Times and dates, depart and arrival are subject to changes.

On 10/27/2019 at 5:25 PM, Izena said:

people beware ... ACL has in brochure.

Itineraries, schedules , routes, ships and staterooms are always subject o change, without notice  due to weather, availability of docks or locks, shoals, River condition, mechanical OR. ANY OTHER  REASON   Times and dates, depart and arrival are subject to changes.

Wouldn't these caveats apply to ANY river cruise line, here or in Europe?

I do sympathize with your complaint, however.  Several years ago we signed up for a Charleston SC - to Charleston SC cruise specifically because we wanted a cruise that started and ended at the same port, within driving distance of our home.  ACL subsequently  cancelled that itinerary.  More recently, we signed up for the Complete Mississippi River Cruise, specifically on America, because we wanted a reasonably-priced cabin next to the Magnolia Lounge.  ACL just cancelled that itinerary too, and we will be put on the Harmony, on a cabin nowhere near the Magnolia Lounge.  But unpleasant surprises could occur on any cruise line, I think.