Discover Diving: Costa Maya or Cozumel?

t_fins

I’m looking for a dive excursion for myself while on RC Adventure OTS beginning of December. I have only dived once before (10 years ago in DR) Any suggestions on which port is a better choice? Or a preferred dive center? I am open to booking through RC or using independent vendor. TIA 

While the diving is considered better in Cozumel, I always have a great time in Mahahual (Costa Maya), and it's a far better spot for a Discover Scuba (resort dive). 

You'll want to get in touch with Catherine at Gypsea Divers (www.gypseadivers.com, info@gypseadivers.com).  You'll have twice the fun for less than half the cost of a cruise ship's excursion. 

When you get off the ship, walk completely through the shopping mall place at the pier, and out the gate.  Then get one of the black and yellow taxis.  The charge should be $4.00 per person.  Often they won't know "Gypsea Divers", but tell them you want to go to the Nacional Beach Club.  The dive shop is there. 

When you talk to Catherine, tell her Harris said hello. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Check out Chankanaab in Cozumel. You can do a discovery dive with dolphins there, use the chat and see if you can get a 2 for 1 deal.

You put in far down the beach and scuba through the swim zone with the rock formations and statues, short surface interval and then dive with the dolphins in their pen. Afterwards you will scuba back down to the beach entry.

As a side note, the wife is a veterinarian, while we were there one of the other pens had a mother and 2 babies being supervised by a vet. She went down during the surface interval and chatted with the vet and was very pleased with how they take care of their dolphins.

• 2 weeks later...