Should I ask to change Stateroom?

Lolou127

Having booked a GTY SS2, we’ve been allocated accessible suite 8121 on the Constellation, it’s next to the elevators, but I can see that 8127 is still available which is next but one to the elevator, would that suite be a little quieter as it’s not next to the elevator? Can anyone who’s travelled in one of these rooms advise? 

We had this type of room on the Summit.  The room is quiet.  No problem there.  Look at the diagram of the deck.  Our balcony was not private.  People in the elevator could see us, which was a little creepy.  The next room over, in which we also stayed, was fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lolou127 said:

Having booked a GTY SS2, we’ve been allocated accessible suite 8121 on the Constellation, it’s next to the elevators, but I can see that 8127 is still available which is next but one to the elevator, would that suite be a little quieter as it’s not next to the elevator? Can anyone who’s travelled in one of these rooms advise? 

Absolutely.  It never hurts to ask.  If you need an accessible cabin, it might be perceived to be an advantage to be located as close to the elevators as possible and they are trying to help as much as they can.

• Like 2

I would try to change- the accessible rooms, while larger- have features that work for handicapped people- the sinks are much lower, to accomodate a wheel chair as are the closets.  The shower  is roll in and the water leaks all over the bathroom floor- again perfert for those requiring a wheelchair.  

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

I am surprised that you have been assigned an accessible room as a Guarantee. I thought they were kept for guests who need the extra space for scooters etc.

It has happened to us three times -- twice on M-clas ships and once on a S-class.

But back to the question about elevator noise from the  SS2 located directly beside the elevator.    We were in one directly beside the elevator on the Constellation and also on the Infinfity.    Both times we had absolutely no noise from the elevators.

• Like 1

There is something to consider.  If you don’t need a accessible suite and someone does prior to the cruise you just may get bumped up to a higher category.  

As with any guarantee it is a risk of what you will end up with.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

The M Class ships have fewer Sky Suites than S Class but have 6 accessible SS vs 4 on the S Class.  We did a B2B last year on the Constellation and for both sailing, shortly before the cruise, they offered SS Guaranteed cabins.  We knew 3 couples from the Roll Call who upgraded to the Guarantee and each were immediately assigned an accessible suite.

Our first Suite was an accessible SS on the Reflection compliments of the long departed upgraded fairy.  We didn’t know about the upgrade until I when to print out Xpass a week before the cruise.

• Like 1

Ask your question. If you don't ask, the answer is definitely no! Just be as gracious accepting either answer. If you get a yes, you may be doing an unnamed person in need of the special features that your current one provides.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I am surprised that you have been assigned an accessible room as a Guarantee. I thought they were kept for guests who need the extra space for scooters etc.

Guarantees are not usually assigned until after final payment, sometimes not until a couple of weeks prior to the cruise. At that point, IMHO, if someone who needed one didn't book it, they are up for grabs.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice,  we aren’t traveling until August next year so we are still a way off final payment, anyway I have called X in the U.K. but the call was answered by a US agent who couldn’t have been more helpful and we’ve switched to 8127, purely because of the comments regarding people using the lift being able to look onto the balcony, also the cruise cost of the SS2 accessible cabin was a little less than the SS2 GTY we booked, so I asked if that could be applied to our cruise (fully expecting a no answer) and whilst the answer was no, she offered us an extra $200 obc which I’m very happy about, this is my first experience of X and so far I’m very impressed 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lolou127 said:

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice,  we aren’t traveling until August next year so we are still a way off final payment, anyway I have called X in the U.K. but the call was answered by a US agent who couldn’t have been more helpful and we’ve switched to 8127, purely because of the comments regarding people using the lift being able to look onto the balcony, also the cruise cost of the SS2 accessible cabin was a little less than the SS2 GTY we booked, so I asked if that could be applied to our cruise (fully expecting a no answer) and whilst the answer was no, she offered us an extra $200 obc which I’m very happy about, this is my first experience of X and so far I’m very impressed 

I'm glad you got a good result. That just goes to show that it never hurts to ask....sometimes you get pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 1