Rouen and Honfleur

first_time_30th_birthday_

Hi guys,

I'm going on my second ever cruise in December, it's a mini 3 night cruise with my mum on the Magellan, going to Rouen and Honfleur.

We don't want to do the excursions, we'd rather explore the local area ourselves. Has anyone been to these locations before who can recommend what things there are to see and do? We love all things Christmassy!

Sam

Rouen has a charm and two places come to mind, the church of Joan of Arc where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake and the magnificent Cathedral of Notre-Dame de Rouen, which is a straight walk past many shops from Joan of Arc church. Have not been to Honfleur so unable to comment

Magellan sails up the Seine and berths right in Rouen.

Which is just as well - parking is a nightmare :classic_wink:

But most folk need transport to the city centre - it's a couple of miles (mainly waterfront if you're inclined to walk)

https://goo.gl/maps/eRPUDbj2VSMTpUmv9

Magellan also calls at Honfleur, but I think you go ashore by tender.

Very pleasant fishing harbour,  but very touristy in summer and pleasant  out-of-season weekends. 

No need for transportation.

Use youe energy in Rouen cos Honfleur is small & ideal for people-watching, usually from behind a cold beer but in December you'd best make that a hot-chocolate. :classic_wink:.

JB :classic_smile:

We were in Rouen on Oct 5 and were glad we did this excursion.  The Cathedral is magnificient - Rouen feels like you are stepping back in time to the 15th/16th century.  It was very busy with lots of tourists.  Very chilly and windy for us Floridians.  We sampled the chocolate and almond croissants and french coffee.  A memorable day.

• 2 weeks later...

Just worth a thought in Rouen is the small road train. If I remember rightly we caught it outside the cathedral. Not expensive about 6 euros or so.We found it helped us get our bearings in the city. Honfleur is quaint and  the center quite compact .We have visited many times while holidaying in Normandy.The walk down through the gardens to the beach is lovely but may be a bit chilly in December.If you like gelato checkout the

Merchant logo
Glaces de la ferme du bois louvet
Delicious even in winter

Edited by dalesmouse
update

On 10/18/2019 at 6:41 AM, first_time_30th_birthday_ said:

We love all things Christmassy!

Then you would love Rouen in December. There is a wonderful Christmas market set in the cathedral square. Also, there was an ice rink and ferris wheel at Place du Vieux Marche.

Been to both places. Luckily for us, our Vantage riverboat docked quite close to the old towns (no tendering). Spent two nights in Rouen and one in Honfleur and really enjoyed them both. I recommend the Musee de Beaux Arts in Rouen, it is free and has some lovely works of art. (Plus, would be a good place to get in from the cold).