Sporadically Live on the mystery cruise on the Navigator 10/15/19-10/25/19

califsealion

Greetings from beautiful Portland, Maine!  This was not in our original plan.  Due to stormy weather, we had to drop Boston and Bar Harbor.  We spent yesterday "at sea" which was really a "shelter in place" day, as we holed up in a bay north of Boston with the Norwegian Dawn.  The night before, we had some exciting rocking and rolling with surges up to 15 feet.  The captain called it the "mystery cruise" because we would wake up and not know where we were and neither would they!  Anyways, they told us the first night of the cruise of the change of plans, it really wasn't much of a mystery.

Our first stop was in Newport where we did a lovely scenic drive of the town and past the mansions.  My mom is not very fast and I was grateful that the handicap seats on the bus were unclaimed!  I'd heard sometimes those get snapped up.  Not only does my mom not move fast, but she also gets motion sick, so these were helpful. 

Last night my mom and I enjoyed the orchestra before dinner.  We have enjoyed both production shows so far.  We always find the shows good fun, just a little cheesy.  We've really enjoyed the lecturer so far as well, with his talks about the local areas we are visiting.  We even enjoyed his lecture on Boston, even though we missed that port.

Today in Portland we just did a little wandering on our own.  They did organize a bunch of tours, so we weren't left high and dry.  I found a cute donut shop that makes donuts with a mashed potato base.  That could have probably been my lunch, not just the dessert!

Anyways, I had vowed to myself that I was going to try and post live.  My mom has taken a bit more of my brain space than I expected, so I've not managed to far.  So these will be sporadically live posts.  😀

• Like 4

Too bad about the missed ports.  But I have been to Boston many times and Bar Harbor once so would like Portland as a new place to visit.  Plus when we were there, Bar Harbor was a tender port, so not so great for those with mobility issues.

And we're onboard with Calfsealion, Mudhen, Begin The Beguine, KwajGirl and others, as well.  We're all doing well and there's plenty of "happenings" going on to keep us all entertained.  The shows and musical numbers are quite good. The food, wine, and service are all top notch.  Jamie is doing a great job as our CD, Davor is our GM, and Capt. Ari is driving our boat.  Some of us (like me) had no problem with the occasional bit of "rocking and rolling" that we encountered the other night out of Newport.  But motion effects different people in different ways.  The worst of the storm occurred after sunset and during the night when we were all tucked into bed.  That helped.  No matter which ship you're on, you are definitely going to "feel" sustained winds of 40 MPH and gusts of up to 60 MPH, along with 10-15 foot seas (like we experienced the other night).  The seas are now very calm as we get ready to pull into Halifax this morning.  Out of the "corner of our eye", we're following the track of tropical storm "Nestor", which is still off the coast of Florida....but is going to start moving it's way up the east coast towards the northeast during the next few days. We'll keep our fingers crossed that we can "get past it" (and south of it) before it gets to New England and Nova Scotia.  We'll be headingsouth from Halifax to Bermuda  this evening (Saturday).  Everyone on board seems to be very happy.  Last night was our Block Party, and it was lots of fun.  Our own group of 4 has been able to "capture" two nights at Prime 7 in the upcoming days,  All for now.  Best Regards.

• Like 2

If anyone is interested in meeting Mudhen, they should be at the pool bar every day around 1100. As charter members of the Bloody Mary and Margarita Society, I would expect them to uphold its customs and traditions. 

Have a safe and wonderful cruise and looking forward to reading about your adventures. 

Z and TB

Several of you remarked about how much you enjoyed having Maggie as your assistant waiter (in training under Mario).  I'm very pleased to report that Maggie was our waitress at dinner tonight and did a superb job!  I told her that she had many fans all over the world, who were cheering her continued success and congratulated her on her promotion.  She asked me to send her "Thanks" back to everyone.  She said she would (again) be leading the dancing routines at Krews Kapers on the night of 23 October.  We got back this evening at around 7:30PM after a very long day of excursion trips all over Halifax and Peggy's Cove.  The weather was clear, sunny, cold, and windy.  Everyone had a great time.  We'll be leaving port at around 11PM tonight for our 2-day sailing to Bermuda.  "Fingers crossed" that it will be smooth sailing!  All for now.  Internet has been great ever since we first left NYC.  Regards to all.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

If anyone is interested in meeting Mudhen, they should be at the pool bar every day around 1100. As charter members of the Bloody Mary and Margarita Society, I would expect them to uphold its customs and traditions. 

Have a safe and wonderful cruise and looking forward to reading about your adventures. 

Z and TB

Good Morning to all !

We have unfortunately had to move the BM&M Society meetings indoors as it's pretty brisk out by the pool. I'm hoping to get back to the traditional meeting spot as we near Bermuda (giggle!)

I can't really add much to the excellent reporting of Pingpong and ""Sea lion". We enjoyed Newport and had a chance to have

lunch with our daughter as she and her husband live there.  Portland was charming, although they had serious power issues due to the storm.....trees down, cars squashed etc. No school for anyone and many businesses closed,  etc.

Lazy morning today....just finished caviar and champers.....what a way to start the day!

More adventures to come....stay tuned!

I too am on this cruise and enjoying every minute. This is my first time traveling solo and I can report they take good care of us. I really enjoyed meeting the faces behind the names of the cruise critic members. Tonight is the Seven Seas Society party and I have a date with two very handsome officers. Sure there will be other people the officers but one can only dream 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BeginTheBeguine said:

I too am on this cruise and enjoying every minute. This is my first time traveling solo and I can report they take good care of us. I really enjoyed meeting the faces behind the names of the cruise critic members. Tonight is the Seven Seas Society party and I have a date with two very handsome officers. Sure there will be other people the officers but one can only dream 😉

I have a date tonite, too!  But it's a secret....

Glad others are chiming in!  Yesterday was Halifax.  My mom opted to stay onboard as it was cold and there was rain off and on.  I wandered down the boardwalk to the Maritime Museum and then up to the gardens and back.  It never did rain hard, just that misty/rainy combination.  We are at sea today and tomorrow.  The captain assured us we are going at full speed to keep ahead of the storm.

We are enjoying the lectures while we are underway.  I have also enjoyed the two dance classes they have had so far, the swing and the waltz.  We were required to do social dance in school as part of PE, but that was many many years ago.  It was a good refresher.

I was surprised that I have enjoyed both the magician and comedian that are onboard.  I geeked out that the magician used the theme to "Police Squad" as his opening and closing song.  He was geeked out that I was geeked out about it.  It was pretty funny.  For those who are not doofuses like us, "Police Squad" was a TV series made by the people who did "Airplane" and "Naked Gun".  I believe it lasted a whopping 6 episodes.  If you enjoyed "Airplane" and "Naked Gun", I recommend hunting down those few episodes.

Oooo, also last night, I had just turned the lights off and realized the ship was slowing down.  I realized it was probably the pilot leaving, so I rushed out on my balcony to watch.  We are mid ship, so he debarks just under our room.  I caught it just in time!  Quite an impressive feat.

Last night we enjoyed dinner at Setti Mari with a couple two doors down that we met during the block party.  So if anyone has any hesitation, go to the block party and meet people!  I'm an introvert, but still enjoyed it.

Another sea day of relaxation tomorrow!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, califsealion said:

I geeked out that the magician used the theme to "Police Squad" as his opening and closing song.  He was geeked out that I was geeked out about it.  It was pretty funny.  For those who are not doofuses like us, "Police Squad" was a TV series made by the people who did "Airplane" and "Naked Gun".  I believe it lasted a whopping 6 episodes.  If you enjoyed "Airplane" and "Naked Gun", I recommend hunting down those few episodes.

Hahahaha!  I loved Police Squad.  Their recurring gag of screeching up in the squad car, hitting the trash cans, and getting into a gunfight which, as the camera pulls back, is revealed to be about six feet apart still makes me chuckle.  I just watched all three Naked Gun flicks last month and they’re still funny.

Along those lines, I bet you liked ‘Best of the West’ too, right?  Another ‘less than one season wonder’.

On 10/19/2019 at 5:54 PM, Zqueeze1 said:

Z and TB

Roberto - The "Bermuda Chapter" of the BM&M Society is alive and well!  3:30PM this afternoon, the Society held it's meeting on the "Navigator", safely docked in St. George's Harbor.  Best Regards!

Mudhen.jpg

• Like 1

It's a difficult job but someone's got to do it!!!

Beautiful day in St. George yesterday.....Did an around "the neighborhood" kind of tour and enjoyed!

Then a swim in the pool and cocktails with Maya!  Tasted a new rum from Venezuela ...Diplimatico ((or something like that),

Very nice....."Z" would be proud of us! More later.......carry on!

J&L

In about an hour, the Navigator (unfortunately), throws off all lines, and sets sail for the last leg of our voyage back to NYC.  Our two days in Bermuda have been great with warm, sunny, and humid weather.  Many have said on these boards in the past that the CD can "set the mood" for the ship and the cruise.  Jamie, along with the asst. CD Dana, have jointly made that so especially true on this cruise.  Jamie and Dana have both been outstanding in making this a wonderful adventure.  DW and I cannot thank them both enough for being so kind, so friendly, and so interested in making everyone feel so welcome on "this little ship"!  We have also met so many friendly and wonderful folks on this cruise.  We can't wait to be back on board, again in the future.  Best Regards.

I would also like to add, with unbridled enthusiasm, how FANTASTIC the theater entertainment was!  The dancer and singers were absolutely wonderful.  They sang and danced their hearts out!  I would rate them as good as any of the performers I've ever seen on Broadway (if that is  to be the supposed standard).  We saw wonderful shows each and every night.  Regards.  

23 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Roberto - The "Bermuda Chapter" of the BM&M Society is alive and well!  3:30PM this afternoon, the Society held it's meeting on the "Navigator", safely docked in St. George's Harbor.  Best Regards!

Mudhen.jpg

6 hours ago, Mudhen said:

It's a difficult job but someone's got to do it!!!

Beautiful day in St. George yesterday.....Did an around "the neighborhood" kind of tour and enjoyed!

Then a swim in the pool and cocktails with Maya!  Tasted a new rum from Venezuela ...Diplimatico ((or something like that),

Very nice....."Z" would be proud of us! More later.......carry on!

J&L

Good to see the continuation of a fine tradition by some of our more prolific plank owners of the BM&M Society. Hopefully, you shouldn’t have much of a problem rustling up new members. You guys deserve a Legion of Merit award for such an illustrious display of dedication to duty. 

Z and TB

LOL! Sadly we're on our way home. It's been a wonderful cruise that's wrapping up today. I haven't been back to the cabin yet, but I know I'll find that special mat they put on the bed and a few empty suitcases....ugh...

Before we work on filling up the empty bags, I need to report on a special drink that I had never heard of....a Mitchelada(sp?) but those who know, get the idea. Basically a bloody mary made with beer (and a special addition if you choose, tequila!) OMG! Sounded kind of awful, but was wonderful! Hat's off to Maya at the pool bar for keeping the BM&M Society supplied with fresh options!

We have loved this little boat....yes, I know it has 3 issues.....stern vibrations are still there, so just don't get a cabin back there,  only one special restaurant, and no ob bar. We can easily work around all of the above in a trade off for the best itineraries.

The ship is sparkling with refreshed "everything"...lovely decor and sharp artwork. Crew is charming every step of the way.

Had dinner with Davor the other night....such a fun evening!

We will be sorry to leave this little gem.....long may she sail!

L&J

Have been following this Thread with particular interest as to the "refreshed" Navigator.  Spouse and I will be aboard for most of next October for BTB, NYC-Montreal; Montreal-NYC segments.  

Look forward to observing changes since our last two 2018 sailings.  Hoping CD Ray Solaire will be with us.  

GOARMY!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to totally slack off on my thread, but glad others were able to pick up where I left off! 

One day out from Bermuda, the weather had nicely warmed up and I was finally able to enjoy my margarita by the pool!  That was pretty much my goal for the whole trip.  The pool temperature was just about as perfect as I could have asked.  Too warm if you wanted to do lap swimming, but amazing for just paddling and floating.  I did enjoy a little hot tub time, but really, the pool was great.

We did the tour of St. George in Bermuda.  They threw us into 6 person taxis, it went really well.  It was nice to have the tour a little more personalized like that.  My mom decided to just stay in the taxi with the driver after the first stop, and apparently his running commentary did not end once the rest of us got out at the stops.  She really enjoyed that.  The second day, I did a short wander with my mom, then I did a longer walk out to Tobacco Bay.  I didn't bother bringing stuff to swim because I didn't want to stay out too long, but I went up and sat on some rocks above the bay and could just see these amazing huge colorful fish from up above.  Snorkeling will definitely be in my plans next time I make it to Bermuda!  Also stopped at a local bar/restaurant for a Dark 'n Stormy, per a friend's recommendation.

Our last day at sea heading home, my mom ended up in the medical center with really bad motion sickness, despite wearing a scopalamine patch.  She also has some memory problems outside her normal routine and so had been forgetting to take her blood pressure medication, so that was too high.  She spent a couple hours there until she felt better and the doctor felt better about her blood pressure.  The nurse down there was great.  The doctor was a little on the stern side.  Make sure you know what medications the person you are traveling with is on.  The doctor was very annoyed that I knew my mom was on blood pressure medication, but was unsure the exact kind.  Having her most recent EKG on my phone did not get me enough brownie points to make up for that mistake.  Still waiting to hear if insurance will reimburse those costs. 😑

This was my second Regent cruise and I really enjoyed it!  Not sure if I would travel Regent if it wasn't for my mom.  This was her "one last nice cruise" (per her words).  I love expedition cruising, and this is what I usually do for my solo cruises.  I do love the pampering, and spoiling that is part of the Regent experience.

It was nice to hear from you, Sealion! I'm sorry we didn't get to meet. Glad you enjoyed your cruise and that your Mom did for the most part as well. Even tho the weather was a little dicey, we thoroughly enjoyed our trip. I'd cruise the little Navigator again, in a heartbeat! I did take the time to write a review for the review section. I don't usually bother, but was impressed with how things went on this cruise. We too are considering an expedition cruise as well, however we're kinda old duffers and that may be a little out of our comfort zone! Hope to meet up with you sometime in the future, but enjoy where ever you're headed next!