Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
goodg8r

iWatch with cellular

Recommended Posts

We are leaving on the Allure next week (yay!!). I have an iWatch 4 with cellular and an iPhone.  I purchased one device for zoom. Does anyone know if I can use my watch rather than my phone when on deck? Can I switch between the two or will

it be just for my phone? 
thanks and any help appreciated!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know much about the watch, but can it access a web page and fill our fields in order to log into VOOM?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, rhuntington3 said:

Either device, just one at a time with the one device plan.

Thanks - Do I need to put my phone in airplane mode? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, goodg8r said:

Thanks - Do I need to put my phone in airplane mode? 

 

You don't need to, but it's a lot safer that way as far avoiding unexpected charges from the cell carrier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cell LTE on your watch only works in the US. The Apple Watch Series 4 does not have international roaming. On Voom it will be paired to the phone. 

Edited by Charles4515

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

You don't need to, but it's a lot safer that way as far avoiding unexpected charges from the cell carrier.


Putting it in airplane mode is unnecessary and actually undesirable. In airplane mode it won’t be paired to the phone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rhuntington3 said:

Either device, just one at a time with the one device plan.


The watch is paired to the phone. Synced to it. It will appear as one device on WiFi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:


The watch is paired to the phone. Synced to it. It will appear as one device on WiFi. 


Good to know, thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if you leave you phone in your cabin, let’s say on deck three, will it still pair with your phone on the pool deck. One thing I noticed last week on enchantment was when you went between your phone and your iPad without logging off, it would ask you if you wanted to change devices. I’ve never noticed that before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my home on the same WiFi network in other rooms the watch stayed connected and I would get texts, calls and notifications. I have worn it on many ships but I never tried it wearing the watch on deck and leaving the phone in my cabin. Theoretically on the same network it could stay paired. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ATC cruiser said:

So if you leave you phone in your cabin, let’s say on deck three, will it still pair with your phone on the pool deck. One thing I noticed last week on enchantment was when you went between your phone and your iPad without logging off, it would ask you if you wanted to change devices. I’ve never noticed that before.


Theoretically I believe it could stay paired on the same network. I never thought to try it. 
 

Asking to log off the another device that is logged on has been a feature for a few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:
 

Asking to log off the another device that is logged on has been a feature for a few years. 

It’s nice to know I can just log off my kids whenever I want🤓

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

It’s nice to know I can just log off my kids whenever I want🤓


You can but they can also log you off. 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:


You can but they can also log you off. 😜

That’s were parenting comes in😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:


Putting it in airplane mode is unnecessary and actually undesirable. In airplane mode it won’t be paired to the phone. 

 

Not even if Bluetooth and WiFi are turned back on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

Not even if Bluetooth and WiFi are turned back on?


The only reason to put the watch in airplane mode is to comply with airline regulations. If the airline allows it you can turn WiFi and Bluetooth back on. The watches series 0 to series 4 do not have international roaming so there is no need to worry about data charges. The new series 5 has international roaming but only for emergency calls. There is no charge for emergency calls. You can see they are working toward international roaming and I expect in some future year there will be international roaming and also that the watches will be independent and won’t require an iPhone but the current hardware is not capable of either. So it serves no purpose with the current hardware to put the watch in airplane mode on a cruise ship or in a foreign country. 

Edited by Charles4515

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Charles4515 said:


 ... So it serves no purpose with the current hardware to put the watch in airplane mode on a cruise ship or in a foreign country. 

 

Good to know, but it does not hurt, right?  As long as Bluetooth and WiFi are on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

 

Good to know, but it does not hurt, right?  As long as Bluetooth and WiFi are on.


There is no reason to have it in airplane mode except on an airplane but it won’t hurt anything except if you change time zones the time zone won’t automatically sync. When I get on a plane I work around that if the destination is in a different zone by taking the phone off auto time sync and putting in the time zone of the destination on my phone before turning on airplane mode on my phone. The last time zone will sync to the watch and that time zone will show on the watch during the flight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:


There is no reason to have it in airplane mode except on an airplane but it won’t hurt anything except if you change time zones the time zone won’t automatically sync. When I get on a plane I work around that if the destination is in a different zone by taking the phone off auto time sync and putting in the time zone of the destination on my phone before turning on airplane mode on my phone. The last time zone will sync to the watch and that time zone will show on the watch during the flight. 

 

Appreciate the detailed explanations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually leave my Apple Watch home when I cruise.  I don't want to have any confusion on the time it tells me and in some ports less expensive jewelry makes you less of a target.  I wear my regular watch so I can set it for ship time.  I am always worried I will not get back from shore excursion in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Vlgg731 said:

I actually leave my Apple Watch home when I cruise.  I don't want to have any confusion on the time it tells me and in some ports less expensive jewelry makes you less of a target.  I wear my regular watch so I can set it for ship time.  I am always worried I will not get back from shore excursion in time.

 

Can the watch be set for manual time setting, like the phone can?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Vlgg731 said:

I actually leave my Apple Watch home when I cruise.  I don't want to have any confusion on the time it tells me and in some ports less expensive jewelry makes you less of a target.  I wear my regular watch so I can set it for ship time.  I am always worried I will not get back from shore excursion in time.

 

I have been wearing an Apple Watch for four years and would never leave it at home. Never had any confusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure about setting it.  I also like to snorkel on cruises and my other watch is waterproof so I take it for that reason too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

Can the watch be set for manual time setting, like the phone can?

 

The time on the watch is not set on the watch. The watch gets the time from the paired iPhone. So what is set on the watch is the time on the phone. Where there can be a difference in time shown is if one device is in Airplane made and not synced to the other device and there is a time zone change. So on a cruise I set the time manually on my iPhone. Then sync it with the watch. If you are close it will sync on bluetooth.

Edited by Charles4515

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...