Ocean Cay~ The Final Countdown

BermudaBound2014

11 hours ago, hamrag said:

Precisely....it is not just about what areas on the island may be deemed to be fit for purpose, but the unfinished areas that exploring passengers might end up in. Health & safety issues abound, and MSC or the Bahamian Regulatory are not going to risk potential lawsuits....this is going to cost MSC a shed load of cash, as clearly every cruise passenger that misses OC now will receive an evoucher equivalent to 20% of the cruise net cost and every cabin $100 OBC.

Apart from being a PR mini disaster, it is going to be a huge financial hit....do the math!!

A terrible year financially for MSC. First the sudden Cuba travel ban and now this. 

I knew going into this voyage when I saw the photos leading up to it that I likely wouldn't be stopping at OC. I had some hope the Meraviglia repositioning cruise MIGHT stop there so I could get some pictures. It was also widely talked about on the ship Mera's cruise was also to have some fireworks for when the ship was sailing at night for the call on OC. For those of us on the Mera repo cruise, we had Jamaica substituted as a port call. The compensation MSC offered surprised me and I'm far happy with it. I just disliked the choice of Jamaica and wish they had gone somewhere, ANYWHERE other than Jamaica. The locals there drive me batty. I got off the ship long enough to be annoyed and turned around and made it a relaxing day at sea (while docked).

Bravo MSC for the compensation offer! (Next time if you decide to pick another port, just don't use Jamaica!)

2 hours ago, sfaaa said:

A terrible year financially for MSC. First the sudden Cuba travel ban and now this. 

With the fire sale of what they did on the Mera repo cruise, my sailing must've been a huge financial hit for them. I do hope the Mera catches on and they're able to fill it with good paying passengers. The lot they got on this voyage had some really dodgy ones in it.

• Like 2

Just returned to read this thread...

Is anyone really shocked? When do things like this ever open on time? Particularly in the leisure industry! 

Yes it's a shame and I'm not undermining anyones disappointment but it's why you wait if this element is critical.

Be 2020 when this is fully up, running and operational to an acceptable and enjoyable level.

See you then!

4 hours ago, citizenfrank said:

Just returned to read this thread...

Is anyone really shocked? When do things like this ever open on time? Particularly in the leisure industry! 

Yes it's a shame and I'm not undermining anyones disappointment but it's why you wait if this element is critical.

Be 2020 when this is fully up, running and operational to an acceptable and enjoyable level.

See you then!

I booked in 2016 expecting to stop at OC in March 2018.  When are you allowed to be shocked.  This is getting ridiculous.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2019 at 3:18 PM, Wills Mojo said:

The table is Likely outdated. I’m on the 11/17 Meraviglia sailing and we’re supposed To be at Ocean Cay on 11/20.

We are also on Meraviglia Nov. 17th, and as per reservations VP we will dock at Ocean Cay.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, eltati61 said:

Can you please elaborate on No, 17th, 2019 sailing of MSC Meraviglia Ocean Cay not happening?

Many travel insurance plans, especially for international trips (as would be the case for many on MSC), have stipulations to pay out claims on an itinerary change, but typically not if itinerary change is made pre-sailing.  MSC won't announce changes until people are onboard as we have seen played out multiple times in the past week.  

The phone agents know nothing.  I don't care if it is a VP at the Fort Lauderdale office.  They find out stuff often AFTER guests do.  How many of them do you think have ever seen an MSC ship in person? 

12 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Many travel insurance plans, especially for international trips (as would be the case for many on MSC), have stipulations to pay out claims on an itinerary change, but typically not if itinerary change is made pre-sailing.  MSC won't announce changes until people are onboard as we have seen played out multiple times in the past week.  

The phone agents know nothing.  I don't care if it is a VP at the Fort Lauderdale office.  They find out stuff often AFTER guests do.  How many of them do you think have ever seen an MSC ship in person? 

2013 Divina First Transatlantic sailing, MSC pulled Nassau after final payment but gave no refund of port charges. They did tell some people but others as we found out onboard some of whom had travelled from Australia and New Zealand, they were Four to Five days into the cruise before they found out.

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

I'm not an expert on international trip insurance, but MSC has announced changes before people are on-board for both the Mera and Armonia sailing this week. It was only the Seaside that was given the announcement of the change after boarding. MSC put the press release out on Saturday the 9th (prior to Mera and Armonia boarding).

The Mera left on 10/28/19 from NYC on her repositioning cruise to Miami. It was during the voyage, after sailing from Grenada the Captain announced an itinerary change and had a prepared statement he read in English and Italian before handing it off for the other languages onboard to be read. I have the letter still.

12 minutes ago, CruisinMaterial said:

The Mera left on 10/28/19 from NYC on her repositioning cruise to Miami. It was during the voyage, after sailing from Grenada the Captain announced an itinerary change and had a prepared statement he read in English and Italian before handing it off for the other languages onboard to be read. I have the letter still.

Yes, that is true for the 10/28 cruise. The 11/9 cruise departing on Seaside got the announcement while onboard. However; MSC had already published  the statement about the continued closing of Ocean Cay before the Mera departed 11/10 and Armonia (11/11).

On 10/20/2019 at 8:28 PM, CUontheC said:

The pics are from a facebook post and this is a video from YouTube.  I can't wait to see it in person. 

I am just now educating myself with this cruise line. In Nov 2020 the Armonia will set sail from Tampa and I can NOT wait!!!  For those of us being closer to North Florida ports this is great news and Ocean Cay...WOW!!!   I am a Loyal to Royal girl that needs a change and while researching found all this!! Super excited!!!! Please post updates and reviews as you visit!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Not happening. 

Unless you know something concrete, which you have proven time and time again that you don't, these kind of definitive statements are completely irresponsible on this forum and only serve to drive up controversy to meet your clear end means.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Beardface said:

Unless you know something concrete, which you have proven time and time again that you don't, these kind of definitive statements are completely irresponsible on this forum and only serve to drive up controversy to meet your clear end means.

What have I been wrong about?  (nothing)  I challenge you on your baseless assertion.  I have had information I did not believe to be accurate, so did not share it.  ALL information I have shared on this forum over the years has borne out to be true.  You can not point to an instance otherwise and you think just throwing it out there is enough to smear me.  Wrong. 

What are my "clear" end means?  (get the vacation I paid for) I'd love to hear your illogical conspiracy theory though. 

There have been more cancellations this week. 

I'll thank you in advance for answering my questions and from further refraining from any personal attacks.  This is a public forum, we are allowed to have civil discussions.  Since you disagree with facts (why?) that is your choice.  What it is NOT, however, is an invitation for you to broadly attack me without any basis whatsoever.  Sorry, the island isn't opening on time.  Some of us are throwing money away.  If you don't have skin in the game let us know as well. 

We all await your answer. 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beardface said:

@Beardface: thanks, I agree. I took that poster's advice and decided to ignore his posts, they became tiresome and unconstructive. I don't know why some people think raining on others' parades is a good use of one's time, but there we are. We're looking forward to our cruise next month, whether or not Ocean Cay ends up being on the itinerary.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

@Beardface: thanks, I agree. I took that poster's advice and decided to ignore his posts, they became tiresome and unconstructive. I don't know why some people think raining on others' parades is a good use of one's time, but there we are. We're looking forward to our cruise next month, whether or not Ocean Cay ends up being on the itinerary.

We had snow yesterday and took me 1.5 hours to drive to work today, instead of regular 20 minutes.  Ask me if I give a ..... if this island gonna be open or not for my Dec 1 cruise LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

The only person(s) raining on others' parade is MSC. 

I will go so far as to call out-right deception. I received not one, but two invitations to be one of the first on Ocean Cay.  The entire ad was centered around the stop in Ocean Cay. The last invitation came November 3rd. They cancelled the grand opening the very next day. There is no way that MSC didn't know they were going to miss the November 9th opening, especially with the drone footage released mid-October.

Labeling those of us who were less optimistic about the opening as 'negative' or 'raining on a parade',  'self-serving', or any of the other labels I've seen attached has proven to be unfounded.

I will never understand mob behavior which attacks the messenger while giving corporate a pass. 

• Thanks 1