Ocean Cay~ The Final Countdown

BermudaBound2014

Looks like MSC Ocean Cay news is hitting multiple travel agent sites today. After the first cancellation of Ocean Cay for the stop scheduled on November 9th, MSC came out and said the island would be ready for a stop on November 15th. Since Canceling all cruises through the 17th, MSC is not even hinting at an opening day at this time. I guess we are on week by week notice? 

"https://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2040136&c=setreg&region=2

33 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Looks like MSC Ocean Cay news is hitting multiple travel agent sites today. After the first cancellation of Ocean Cay for the stop scheduled on November 9th, MSC came out and said the island would be ready for a stop on November 15th. Since Canceling all cruises through the 17th, MSC is not even hinting at an opening day at this time. I guess we are on week by week notice? 

They didn't actually say the island would be ready for a stop on November 15th! Rather, what they said was that the 'next scheduled launch' of Ocean Cay was 15th November on the Seaside.....a very carefully chosen use of language. 😉

For what it's worth (and not too much in my opinion), I called reservations and asked about the Nov 17th Meraviglia sailing, which has the next scheduled arrival at OC on the 20th. They immediately apologized for the confusion with recent sailings and all but guaranteed that the 20th is a go. I'm figuring we'll find out about a cancelation the night before (when its too late for new bookings on that that cruise) or onboard.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NameThatFunnel said:

For what it's worth (and not too much in my opinion), I called reservations and asked about the Nov 17th Meraviglia sailing, which has the next scheduled arrival at OC on the 20th. They immediately apologized for the confusion with recent sailings and all but guaranteed that the 20th is a go. I'm figuring we'll find out about a cancelation the night before (when its too late for new bookings on that that cruise) or onboard.

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic that this is true. It would be a PR nightmare if MSC canceled the Press Release stop in Ocean Cay. 

17 minutes ago, NameThatFunnel said:

If thought Ken Muskat tweeted about November 15th but I could be wrong. I know he tweeted that it would positively be open by Thanksgiving so if it doesn't open then, that will be more PR issues.  

If MSC used the term 'next scheduled launch' knowing that the island would not be ready on the 15th, that is a sleazy choice of language. I think what most people are upset about on social media is lack of honest communication.

I've read more than one account suggesting the 'operational issues' are related to something quite large like septic back up or potable water access. Of course, this is nothing but speculation as far as I can tell, but if MSC would be more forth-wright these wild speculations wouldn't be occurring. 

3 minutes ago, marcoigna said:

Its all good - our cancelled Meraviglia arrival for November 9th netted us a 2490.00 credit on future cruise.   Crazy amount for missing a port.  

This is why I said the delay will not be long imo.  MSC does not want to keep paying that.

2 minutes ago, marcoigna said:

Its all good - our cancelled Meraviglia arrival for November 9th netted us a 2490.00 credit on future cruise.   Crazy amount for missing a port.  

Which means you spent in excess of 12,000.00 dollars for the cruise. Some might say that is a crazy amount for cruising period, especially on MSC.   Don't get me wrong, it's a nice refund for sure, but at the 12 grand price point, you are certainly in the minority. 

I do believe the compensation is more than fair for those on-board.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nymich said:

This is why I said the delay will not be long imo.  MSC does not want to keep paying that.

I do understand your logic, but please allow me to put a twist on the numbers. First, between voyager club and various incentives, MSC gives 10-15% discounts regularly, so 20% isn't that far off their 'normal' pricing. The Mera cruise that was scheduled to visit on November 9th was selling for $500pp in a balcony cabin for months and months. I suspect most people are receiving closer to $150.00 toward a future cruise, a cruise that they may not have taken with MSC.  The $100 obc costs MSC pennies because most are spending it on very inflated pricing. Although I'm not sure how that works on the spa, becaue most spa's are run by third parties. 

Don't get me wrong, it's a VERY nice gesture, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think it's costing MSC all that much out of pocket. 

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I do understand your logic, but please allow me to put a twist on the numbers. First, between voyager club and various incentives, MSC gives 10-15% discounts regularly, so 20% isn't that far off their 'normal' pricing. The Mera cruise that was scheduled to visit on November 9th was selling for $500pp in a balcony cabin for months and months. I suspect most people are receiving closer to $150.00 toward a future cruise, a cruise that they may not have taken with MSC.  The $100 obc costs MSC pennies because most are spending it on very inflated pricing. Although I'm not sure how that works on the spa, becaue most spa's are run by third parties. 

Don't get me wrong, it's a VERY nice gesture, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think it's costing MSC all that much out of pocket. 

Ok then the only other choice is it will be several months, maybe years.  In the grand scheme of things none of us know we are just giving opinions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This is absolutely true. MSC is providing a very nice  good faith gesture. 

So it's free?   It all comes out of bottom line when you GIVE things away.

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 1

Just now, Nymich said:

Ok then the only other choice is it will be several months, maybe years.  In the grand scheme of things none of us know we are just giving opinions.

I didn't even begin to imply that it would be months or years before the opening. Remember, I'm in the camp that is thinking it will open with the press cruise departing mera on the 17th. Of course, I could be wrong on that, as everything I type is based on my personal experience. My opinion. 

I think what is most important is that we respect each others opinions.  Somewhere along the way, we (as a society, not directed to you specifically Nymich) have lost the ability to disagree without it turning to hate speech and name calling. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nymich said:

So it's free?   It all comes out of bottom line when you GIVE things away.

I think it's about a cost/benefit analysis. I suspect MSC feels that providing good faith gestures will cost them far less than the bad press that is associated with clandestine behavior. As I said, it's a nice gesture, but if they thought they could get away with giving nothing, my money is that nothing it would be. 

9 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I didn't even begin to imply that it would be months or years before the opening. Remember, I'm in the camp that is thinking it will open with the press cruise departing mera on the 17th. Of course, I could be wrong on that, as everything I type is based on my personal experience. My opinion. 

I think what is most important is that we respect each others opinions.  Somewhere along the way, we (as a society, not directed to you specifically Nymich) have lost the ability to disagree without it turning to hate speech and name calling. 

Maybe it is just time to choose another cruise line and go on from there. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RJB said:

Maybe it is just time to choose another cruise line and go on from there. 

I suspect some people may do just that. I won't be one of them. Currently, MSC is the best budget cruise line sailing the Caribbean. When I'm looking for an inexpensive vacation, MSC delivers an exceptional value! However; my expectations are aligned with the product. I think that's why MSC gets such bad reviews, people go in with unrealistic expectations of the product. and end up disappointed.  Just my opinion of course :). 

• Like 3

The good news is after two bookings that I cancelled and a rebooking for later in 2020 I will not have to worry about this.  I have my YC cabin booked and OC will be completely done by that time!  In the meantime I will watch for the news instead of being part of it.

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Your statement about the balcony pricing point wasn't for months and months, it was only for the one month prior to sailing. I paid more than that and booked 2 months prior to sailing. At the end, MSC dropped the prices to levels I've never seen for a sailing of this length before.

2 hours ago, marcoigna said:

They technically dont need to pay a penny as per terms/conditions.  

You're 100% right. They don't need to provide anything and I was more than surprised by the compensation they did offer. I received a nice sum back to book the next voyage as well and I only booked 8 weeks out!