Ocean Cay~ The Final Countdown

BermudaBound2014

12 minutes ago, Motegi said:

Well, even if the island buffet is not completed at least the ship will be docked to the pier so it should be easy to get back onboard for lunch.

Easy fix to that part of the island not being ready. They still have several weeks, maybe that can go up super fast. 

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:32 PM, rkacruiser said:

You are on a private island in hopefully warm waters and weather.  Why on earth would one want to have a tv available in a cabana?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm struggling to imagine why someone would want anything as banal as a television set in a cabana on a Caribbean island. But sure the request for air conditioning was in jest?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm struggling to imagine why someone would want anything as banal as a television set in a cabana on a Caribbean island. But sure the request for air conditioning was in jest?

We just rented a private villa a few weeks ago during our stop at Great Stirrup Cay on the NCL Sky.  We had a group of 8 in the villa which had its own bathroom, shower, refrigerator, coffee machine, A/C, sofa, dining table, snack and fruit assortment, and yes, a TV with video on demand.  A few members of our party did turn on the TV and started watching a movie.  However, I spent most of the day outside on one of the loungers or in the water on a floating mat.  

So, yes, some people do like watching movies when on a private island.  Not me personally but everyone has their own preferences.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Motegi said:

We just rented a private villa a few weeks ago during our stop at Great Stirrup Cay on the NCL Sky.  We had a group of 8 in the villa which had its own bathroom, shower, refrigerator, coffee machine, A/C, sofa, dining table, snack and fruit assortment, and yes, a TV with video on demand.  A few members of our party did turn on the TV and started watching a movie.  However, I spent most of the day outside on one of the loungers or in the water on a floating mat.  

So, yes, some people do like watching movies when on a private island.  Not me personally but everyone has their own preferences.  

I realize that, and I was just pointing that I think it's a silly preference. :classic_wink: Also, a private villa is a VERY different animal than a moveable cabana. Villa implies a permanent structure while a cabana is nothing more than a glorified tent.

• Like 2

The pictures look nice, and I am definitely looking forward to seeing Ocean Cay. As I've stated previously, I don't care whether every inch of it is in place when we visit, as long as there is food and drink nearby + some sunshine, that's good enough for me.

23 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

MSC has put out quite a bit of press recently stating the island will be open and ready on Nov 9th. Lots of MSC fans have stood behind the company on the opening. If the island is not ready this will be a huge PR hit. 

I firmly believe MSC will open Ocean Cay with the Meraviglia sailing but the island won't have nearly all of what they were stating completed, not just the YC area but large portions of it. Like I stated before, based on the latest drone footage, it seems like they'll have the shopping area and the watercraft launch area (which is part of it) ready in time and the beach facing the ship over to the lighthouse. The rest of the island with a mere 20/19 days to go doesn't seem all that ready for the masses to be walking around it. I hope MSC proves me wrong but either way, it'll still be a day to relax. If the island isn't ready, the ship is and can stay on that for a docked day at sea!

• Like 2

I agree completely. with the press release just last week touting that MSC will be open and ready, I think Mera will stop no matter what. If the buffet area doesn't open, it will be interesting. I visited Coco Cay while it was under construction and later I was on the second ship to stop after renovations. The construction noise and equipment was bothersome to me. Nothing screams peaceful deserted island like the sound of heavy equipment in reverse :)

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Why is it that a person who differs in what they want in a cruise should be ridiculed.  Ok let me tell you why I would have enjoyed a television in a cabana.  I am a disabled senior citizen.  I have had 6 back surgeries (3 of the last year), I also have had cancer and had to have part of my kidney removed which now I have high blood pressure and diabetes.  I have other issues as well and take over 20+ pills a day.  Prior to all these health conditions I was able to do all kinds of things and was extremely active and went to the gym everyday.  Life takes it turn and you deal with it the best you can.  I try to be happy each day as it is a blessing just to get up and enjoy another day.  So because our stop on the island is a all day affair into the late evening I need a place where I can relax because I get very tired.  I don't want to go sit on the ship.  Walking gets hard because I have nerve damage in my left leg because when they went to remove my a disk at L3/4 they could not get to it because of a nerve in the way.  I was unable to walk after surgery.  So 7 months later had to have another surgery going in through the front of me so I could get the cadaver disk put in.  This makes two now.   Having a cabana would be nice an being able to just sit inside after being on the beach would be great.  Having a television to watch would make it nice. They offer it in other cabanas on other cruise lines.  Why do you feel I am banal for asking if it is on this.  It's ok if I like this.  I also love movies under the stars on the Princess ships.  It's not like I haven't cruised before.  I am Elite on Princess and Platinum on NCL.  So although I may be different than you I would respect your wish to do anything on your cruise that you like.  I bet if you met me you would really like me and I would probably like you as well.  So please just respect my differences for that they are.  I am a very good and nice person.  I just feel bad when someone says something negative like you did about me.  I hope your next cruise is great and everything you hope for!  I hope mine is as well.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I realize that, and I was just pointing that I think it's a silly preference. :classic_wink: Also, a private villa is a VERY different animal than a moveable cabana. Villa implies a permanent structure while a cabana is nothing more than a glorified tent.

You may be right about the definition.  So here is what NCL offers on their private island Great Stirrup Cay (called a Villa) for $427.14 which is a similar price as MSC is calling a cabana which is pretty much as you said a glorified tent.  Being that is was such a similar price I would think they would have some of the same amenities.  I looked at the ones for the Yacht Club on the Seaside and was thinking about booking it.  But if it is just like you said pretty much just a structure and not much else, then for that price I will pass.     

The Oceanview Villa at Silver Cove is ideal for couples and single families. Situated on its private beach with unobstructed ocean views it is the perfect way to spend a sultry day in the comfort of one of our ultra-modern air-conditioned retreats that comfortably house up to six guests.

Each Villa offers A/C, in villa TV with complimentary on-demand movies, full private restroom, a retractable glass wall providing unobstructed views and access to the beach. To make your day complete we provide you with a beach umbrella and two lounge chairs next to the water’s edge and admission to the upscale Silver Cove buffet. Reserve a villa and you’ll have everything you need to enjoy a great day on the Cay.Note: Price listed is per villa (not per person) therefore only one person needs to reserve the villa. Villa rental is good for up to a maximum of 6 guests, with the ability to add up to two additional guests at an additional charge of $25 per person

NPI_45_OceanviewVilla_680x330.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CUontheC said:

Why is it that a person who differs in what they want in a cruise should be ridiculed........

Very well said, you have amazing outlook. Your health issues apart, in this side discussion, I never understand why some (thankfully very few) believe we all should like the things they like and dislike what they dislike.....live life my way....such a sad and limiting attitude!

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, dwade1901 said:

We are there in early January and cannot wait! I’ve been fully expecting it to not be 100% complete but an ‘almost finished’ private island will do for me!!! 😊

I hope you all enjoy your visits to Ocean Cay 😊 

Define 'almost finished"? 😉

I'm not going until April and I anticipate a continued construction zone. Hopefully by my trip in  April OC will be 'almost finished' but I"m not counting on it.  The lighthouse will be done though! 

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Define 'almost finished"? 😉

I'm not going until April and I anticipate a continued construction zone. Hopefully by my trip in  April OC will be 'almost finished' but I"m not counting on it.  The lighthouse will be done though! 

You may well be right - I just meant that I expect it to be in a habitable state, otherwise people wouldn’t be allowed on - I’ve never been to a Caribbean island before so whatever state it’s in (within reason) is ok with me - of course, having said that, I’m aware that even the statement ‘within reason’ is open to interpretation!!! 😀😉

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Ever been around a  Cabana on a beach with a TV during March Madness? I assure you there is nothing remotely banal about the experience (DH still talks about it). 

The Air conditioning request was probably not in jest. Many cabana's offer it. I was at a hotel in FLL last year that offered air-conditioned cabana's around the pool. 

• Like 1

Why is it that a person who differs in what they want in a cruise should be ridiculed.  Ok let me tell you why I would have enjoyed a television in a cabana.  I am a disabled senior citizen.  I have had 6 back surgeries (3 of the last year), I also have had cancer and had to have part of my kidney removed which now I have high blood pressure and diabetes.  I have other issues as well and take over 20+ pills a day.  Prior to all these health conditions I was able to do all kinds of things and was extremely active and went to the gym everyday.  Life takes it turn and you deal with it the best you can.  I try to be happy each day as it is a blessing just to get up and enjoy another day.  So because our stop on the island is a all day affair into the late evening I need a place where I can relax because I get very tired.  I don't want to go sit on the ship.  Walking gets hard because I have nerve damage in my left leg because when they went to remove my a disk at L3/4 they could not get to it because of a nerve in the way.  I was unable to walk after surgery.  So 7 months later had to have another surgery going in through the front of me so I could get the cadaver disk put in.  This makes two now.   Having a cabana would be nice an being able to just sit inside after being on the beach would be great.  Having a television to watch would make it nice. They offer it in other cabanas on other cruise lines.  Why do you feel I am banal for asking if it is on this.  It's ok if I like this.  I also love movies under the stars on the Princess ships.  It's not like I haven't cruised before.  I am Elite on Princess and Platinum on NCL.  So although I may be different than you I would respect your wish to do anything on your cruise that you like.  I bet if you met me you would really like me and I would probably like you as well.  So please just respect my differences for that they are.  I am a very good and nice person.  I just feel bad when someone says something negative like you did about me.  I hope your next cruise is great and everything you hope for!  I hope mine is as well.

Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 10:09 PM, VgsBby said:

We're on the repo sailing and will be the first ship to call on Ocean Caye. We've been asked to take part in the ribbon cutting ceremony. Pretty darn excited to be of the first passengers to step foot on the island.

Ben

I'll be there on Dec. 5 pushing my 91-year old mother in her manual wheelchair.  Ocean Cay is supposed to be ADA friendly.  I would love to find that out before actually trying to get her off the ship so if you want to report back, please do.  Thanks in advance if you do!

We're in the Yacht Club so I guess we are supposed to have a separate place at Ocean Cay.  By the way, normal wheelchairs don't work in sand and I'm not going to rent a sand wheelchair for her to use for one day so they better have a lot of smooth sidewalks!

Janet

19 hours ago, CUontheC said:
19 hours ago, CUontheC said:

Why is it that a person who differs in what they want in a cruise should be ridiculed.  Ok let me tell you why I would have enjoyed a television in a cabana.  I am a disabled senior citizen.  

Since I am the poster who made that comment about having a TV in a cabana, may I offer my apology for offending you?  My post was not made with the intention to ridicule anyone.  I made my comment "in the shoes in which I walk".  I failed to consider that others must "walk in different shores".  I'm sorry.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LadyVol1 said:

I'll be there on Dec. 5 pushing my 91-year old mother in her manual wheelchair.  Ocean Cay is supposed to be ADA friendly.  I would love to find that out before actually trying to get her off the ship so if you want to report back, please do.  Thanks in advance if you do!

We're in the Yacht Club so I guess we are supposed to have a separate place at Ocean Cay.  By the way, normal wheelchairs don't work in sand and I'm not going to rent a sand wheelchair for her to use for one day so they better have a lot of smooth sidewalks!

Janet

The YC area of ocean cay will not be ready in December. MSC first announced it would be ready in January and they have pushed it back to 'spring'. As far as I can tell, no one knows if spring means March or May. From the video, it looks like there is a already a smooth area in place to push a wheelchair in the immediate area of the pier. From the drone view, it looks like they have started a cement walkway around the lighthouse, but it is not connected and dead ends in the sand at this time. Lots can happen before Dec 4th, but I would recommend you set your expectations low and be pleasantly surprised. 

PS: What a lovely thing you are doing for your mother. I lost my mother last year, but look back at the times I pushed her around the in her wheel chair with pleasant memories. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Since I am the poster who made that comment about having a TV in a cabana, may I offer my apology for offending you?  My post was not made with the intention to ridicule anyone.  I made my comment "in the shoes in which I walk".  I failed to consider that others must "walk in different shores".  I'm sorry.

🥰

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Very big of you and we need more of this on CC.  I know I have made a post or two I wish I didn't send but I always try to come back and do as you did.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The YC area of ocean cay will not be ready in December. MSC first announced it would be ready in January and they have pushed it back to 'spring'. As far as I can tell, no one knows if spring means March or May. From the video, it looks like there is a already a smooth area in place to push a wheelchair in the immediate area of the pier. From the drone view, it looks like they have started a cement walkway around the lighthouse, but it is not connected and dead ends in the sand at this time. Lots can happen before Dec 4th, but I would recommend you set your expectations low and be pleasantly surprised. 

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

PS: What a lovely thing you are doing for your mother. I lost my mother last year, but look back at the times I pushed her around the in her wheel chair with pleasant memories. 

Thanks for this info.  She pretty much sleeps all the time and it would be a miracle to get her off the ship but I was thinking that this port would be the "one" for this cruise.  Knowing what you posted about the YC area not being ready, I think I'll choose a different experience for that day, like enjoying the Top Sail Lounge with her and not many other passengers! It would be a huge disappointment for her to go to the "effort" and then not be able to enjoy the special YC Ocean Cay area.  I won't even mention it to her and we'll enjoy another day on the ship. Thanks again!

• Like 2

Received this offer in the mail. $199 for inside. $259 oceanview. $309 Balcony. Not good deals financially, but might be interesting for someone living in Florida that just wants to see the island.

Advertising spa was interesting (highlighted). The way I read this ad, the spa should be open by November 17th, but the drone footage shows the spa far from finished. MSC wouldn't entice last minute visitors with information they know is inaccurate, would they? We know they can get around the dining options not being finished by offering food trucks and it seems that the aquatic activity center will have some options ready. We know the light show is already in place, but the spa? Unless they mean a roped off area with massage tables? Our first investigators arrive in 16 days!!! 

image.png.405e3eb7ae9e4dc4021ca8941082fcde.png

• Like 2