Ocean Cay~ The Final Countdown

BermudaBound2014

On 12/19/2019 at 3:11 PM, UniPac said:

I am sorry to ask but as this is a very extensive thread... can someone tell me what food/drink will be free actually when having a regular "Drink's on Us" package and not staying in YC?

And what will "change on the island" when I stay in YC?

Thanks and sorry if this has been covered in the ~600 postings 😕

Food included is the same for everyone not in YC: Seekers Buffet and the food trucks. Drinks package works the same as it does in the ship - same things covered, same Service Charge.

When you're in YC, you'll have access to the YC beach area, YC cabanas, Ocean House Restaurant, food truck and your drink package is basically the Premium while ashore.  

On 12/15/2019 at 5:40 AM, stoneman56 said:

They sure do, we were about to go in snorkelling and the lifeguard pointed to a 4ft shark about 20 mtrs out. He said they are not aggressive just don’t get skittish around them. He was happy for us to go out and look at it. Unlike Jaws when he said/shouted shark everyone snorkelling went INTO the water😂

And a little heads up for anyone who brings their own snorkel gear. The staff at the rental station say you can use your own gear but you have to rent a yellow vest off them. 
rubbish, the lifeguards are happy to let you do your own thing without wearing one

Which area did you snorkel to see the shark?  Thanks in advance!

This is a slightly edited post I put on Ocean Cay Friday Dec. 6th Pictures.

I was on OC Saturday Dec. 7. I thoroughly enjoyed the stay.

We set up on Sunset Beach. There was no shortage of beach loungers. The trees they planted gave us some shade but for guaranteed shade one should rent an umbrella.

From our spot towards the beach there is sand, then at the water the sand goes away and there is a lot of coral rubble and solid hard white coral rock which is very uneven in places. I found it difficult to put on snorkeling gear and get out into the water as walking on the coral rubble was painful on my sensitive feet. It did not seem to prevent other people from getting in the water and I did find an easier place to enter a bit farther down from our spot. The coral rocks give way to sand on the bottom from say, 2 - 4 ft deep depending on the area. The lagoon, family beach and other beaches looked like all sand.

The snorkeling was fun from the beach but there is not dramatic coral to look at. I went all the way out to where there is a rope and I'm guessing it's 8 - 12 ft. deep there.

If you find a small outcropping or rocks and small coral there will be colorful fish - I saw many kinds of damsels, wrasses, trigger fish, and other kinds of fish. To get a better look you need to dive down 8 - 12 ft. Once in a while there were single and groups up to 8 of barracuda 2 to 3 feet long. They were not aggressive and did not seem to mind my presence. My brother saw what looked like a hammerhead shark about 6 ft long! It did not bother him and was just cruising past.

Snorkeling from an excursion might be better and I would do that if I ever get the chance to go back.

The Junkanoo parade was fun and ended at a dance party spot. Loud music started playing from some big speakers before the parade ended and it seemed like it was supposed to be for the lighthouse light show which had not started. A bit later the lighthouse light show started and stopped a couple times and looked like it never really got going. It certainly didn't look like the pictures and videos I've seen, so I think something went wrong there.

I ordered a Bahamian stout beer from the lighthouse bar and they had difficulty charging me for it because it wasn't on their tablets. The beer they gave me wasn't even the one on the menu. The one I got was called Black Beer'd Stout and it was very good! I had 2.

• Like 1