Ocean Cay~ The Final Countdown

BermudaBound2014

Some additional information I've discovered... I didn't realize that the cabana rentals were not for the full stay during your visit to Ocean Cay.  Apparently the Cabanas close at 5 PM according to the site.  Kind of a bummer if you ask me because we were planning to enjoy the sunset and evening in our cabana..668663064_ScreenShot2019-10-29at3_02_40PM.thumb.png.dfd349b3f9aa95507482717688cac8cd.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Motegi said:

Some additional information I've discovered... I didn't realize that the cabana rentals were not for the full stay during your visit to Ocean Cay.  Apparently the Cabanas close at 5 PM according to the site.  Kind of a bummer if you ask me because we were planning to enjoy the sunset and evening in our cabana..668663064_ScreenShot2019-10-29at3_02_40PM.thumb.png.dfd349b3f9aa95507482717688cac8cd.png

Hmmm... The plot thickens...  While the above mentions Cabanas closing at 5 PM, the following page says the cabana rental is "All Day". I suppose it's going to be dependent on their definition of  "All Day".  

652061751_ScreenShot2019-10-29at3_14_02PM.thumb.png.0bedb82e7525ee6803e15ac02caaa2b9.png

Edited by Motegi

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:17 PM, Fogfog said:

❤️ exactly

It is going to be lovely. 

A few bumps as it is being completed (YC area won't be ready til early summer 2020)

OC is about the sea/sand and sunshine. 

Not rollercoasters. 

The lighthouse does have a ligh show (video was on instagram in recent weeks) and I believe it is to be part of the Bahamian party/parade atmosphere ... which is why the ship stays til late for evening events

FogFog, What little island is that off of Belize?  Beautiful

I received an e-mail from MSC about Ocean Cay saying that it would be operating for my January sailing.  No mention of whether the YC area will be ready or not.  

I know that many enjoy "food truck" cuisine, but that is not the standard of cuisine that I am paying for when I book a cruise, whether it is in YC or the most inexpensive category of staterooms.  Island buffets are usually very enjoyable and appropriate for that venue.  But, a food truck?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cruzingambler said:

FogFog, What little island is that off of Belize?  Beautiful

I actually posted those pics from Belize.  It's Goff's Caye.  It really felt like the "man on a deserted island" place--but it was beautiful!

246115144_ScreenShot2019-10-29at7_20_38PM.png.86c15c066c6ead01d76dbfe307d7f15d.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I received an e-mail from MSC about Ocean Cay saying that it would be operating for my January sailing.  No mention of whether the YC area will be ready or not.  

I know that many enjoy "food truck" cuisine, but that is not the standard of cuisine that I am paying for when I book a cruise, whether it is in YC or the most inexpensive category of staterooms.  Island buffets are usually very enjoyable and appropriate for that venue.  But, a food truck?

I was happy for the options. MSC compared to other ships have fewer venues so it was a win for me.

Food trucks for me are a win at least the ones that I would want to try in some states so I never thought about the value. But I see your point. 

Most likely the food trucks will have nothing I can eat, my husband will like the variety. But will pass if it's standard hotdog & fries fare (Maybe).

29 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

I was happy for the options. MSC compared to other ships have fewer venues so it was a win for me.

Food trucks for me are a win at least the ones that I would want to try in some states so I never thought about the value. But I see your point. 

Most likely the food trucks will have nothing I can eat, my husband will like the variety. But will pass if it's standard hotdog & fries fare (Maybe).

Food Trucks?  Hope that is a temporary plan.

Hmmm, well I don't know where some of you are from but food trucks are pretty trendy right now.  Theres a TV show devoted to them on Food Network.  Even the new Virgin Cruise Lines Scarlet Lady will have a food truck style dining area onboard.  Disney has put them at their Disney Springs area in Orlando.  And cities across the US have food truck rallies throughout the year.  Perhaps you are thinking of the old lunch canteen trucks at construction sites...   

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 10.41.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 10.40.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 10.43.27 PM.png

2016-city-park-food-truck-rally-schedule-fort-collins.jpg

foodtrucks.jpg

Edited by Motegi
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Motegi said:

Hmmm, well I don't know where some of you are from but food trucks are pretty trendy right now.  Theres a TV show devoted to them on Food Network.  Even the new Virgin Cruise Lines Scarlet Lady will have a food truck style dining area onboard.  Disney has put them at their Disney Springs area in Orlando.  And cities across the US have food truck rallies throughout the year.  Perhaps you are thinking of the old lunch canteen trucks at construction sites...   

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 10.41.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 10.40.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 10.43.27 PM.png

2016-city-park-food-truck-rally-schedule-fort-collins.jpg

foodtrucks.jpg

There are some fantastic vegan ones in NY & CA. I know MSC won't have those 😪.  They still could have some decent ones that could appeal to many eaters including my DH.

The show was fun to watch, it's still on?

12 hours ago, deanman02 said:

I love the idea of food trucks!  I can imagine all kinds fun grabbing a snack as I continue my adventure. Can’t wait!

Yep it can surely work if a Company wants to do things on the cheap.   Not to be negative here either.  There are only two reasons a business would to do this either you need it fast(time crunch) or you need it cheap.  Or cheap and fast.   

Edited by Nymich

2 hours ago, Nymich said:

Yep it can surely work if a Company wants to do things on the cheap.   Not to be negative here either.  There are only two reasons a business would to do this either you need it fast(time crunch) or you need it cheap.  Or cheap and fast.   

Living in the DMV, food trucks are everywhere.  The trucks are brought into wineries, birthday parties and festivals as well as being regularly parked in the City.  In fact, many have cult followings and will go to wherever the trucks are serving.  You can get a $28.00 lobster roll or exotic international foods.  They are not just cheap food.  They are able to go where the customers are located.  I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that the food trucks will be a regular part of OC.   https://www.dreamstime.com/food-trucks-washington-dc-usa-food-trucks-row-lunch-hour-washington-dc-food-truck-industry-now-big-business-image157520617

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nashna said:

Living in the DMV, food trucks are everywhere.  The trucks are brought into wineries, birthday parties and festivals as well as being regularly parked in the City.  In fact, many have cult followings and will go to wherever the trucks are serving.  You can get a $28.00 lobster roll or exotic international foods.  They are not just cheap food.  They are able to go where the customers are located.  I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that the food trucks will be a regular part of OC.   https://www.dreamstime.com/food-trucks-washington-dc-usa-food-trucks-row-lunch-hour-washington-dc-food-truck-industry-now-big-business-image157520617

Food is not what I am talking about.  Using food trucks is much cheaper then a facility/kitchen etc...…...Cheap does not always mean bad.   Not what I would personally would like but it is what it is and I think imo it was done because they needed it fast or wanted it to reduce expenses......or both.  JMO to each their own people can always go back on the ship and eat. 

Edited by Nymich

20 hours ago, EMc&DrS said:

I actually posted those pics from Belize.  It's Goff's Caye.  It really felt like the "man on a deserted island" place--but it was beautiful!

246115144_ScreenShot2019-10-29at7_20_38PM.png.86c15c066c6ead01d76dbfe307d7f15d.png

LOL:)  The small island may be just what we are looking for.  Thanks for the info.  The past couple of times we were in Belize, we just stayed on board but looking for a new experience at a beach this time. 

I really don't understand all the negative comments about food trucks. I think it is a great idea, and will be cost MSC more than not doing them, not less. Think of it as an extra treat, no one is making you eat from them, the Buffet will still be there for proper sit down meals.

I have two kids that frankly do not stop eating, the thought of being able to get them something extra mid afternoon without traipsing back to the buffet from the beach is great (who am I kidding I will be joining in as well).

I have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world but some of the tastiest and best cooked food I have ever eaten was from food trucks.

I do hope however the food reflects where we are, some Jerk Chicken, fresh Caribbean fruit rather than just hot dogs etc would be nice.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Serial Tequila said:

I really don't understand all the negative comments about food trucks. I think it is a great idea, and will be cost MSC more than not doing them, not less. Think of it as an extra treat, no one is making you eat from them, the Buffet will still be there for proper sit down meals.

I have two kids that frankly do not stop eating, the thought of being able to get them something extra mid afternoon without traipsing back to the buffet from the beach is great (who am I kidding I will be joining in as well).

I have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world but some of the tastiest and best cooked food I have ever eaten was from food trucks.

I do hope however the food reflects where we are, some Jerk Chicken, fresh Caribbean fruit rather than just hot dogs etc would be nice.

Agree totally.  Food trucks are a   convenient way to eat on the run.  Just like so many other onboard options, if you don’t wish to partake...just don’t.  

• Like 2