Ocean Cay~ The Final Countdown

BermudaBound2014

28 minutes ago, Serial Tequila said:

I really don't understand all the negative comments about food trucks. I think it is a great idea, and will be cost MSC more than not doing them, not less. Think of it as an extra treat, no one is making you eat from them, the Buffet will still be there for proper sit down meals.

I have two kids that frankly do not stop eating, the thought of being able to get them something extra mid afternoon without traipsing back to the buffet from the beach is great (who am I kidding I will be joining in as well).

I have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world but some of the tastiest and best cooked food I have ever eaten was from food trucks.

I do hope however the food reflects where we are, some Jerk Chicken, fresh Caribbean fruit rather than just hot dogs etc would be nice.

I don't get it either.  I see it as more marketing related.  To have relevant and Chic things, different things.  The cruise lines have all sorts of various themed restaurants to make things more interesting than a place with a generic name.

Gives more options, spreads lines out.  NCL had Sabratt hot dog carts on BA and GA.  There was a cult following.  The carts times and locations were a bit elusive.  I have zero desire to eat hot dogs on a ship with all the other options but on BA I spotted one of the two carts one day before noon and just before it moved to where it opened I followed it to see if these hot dogs were special.  Soon after, the cart was mobbed with a long line.   Hot dog was fine enough.  Take the trucks away or if they  were never there people will complain not enough options.

Edited by dexddd
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Nymich said:

Food is not what I am talking about.  Using food trucks is much cheaper then a facility/kitchen etc...…...Cheap does not always mean bad.   Not what I would personally would like but it is what it is and I think imo it was done because they needed it fast or wanted it to reduce expenses......or both.  JMO to each their own people can always go back on the ship and eat. 

Per MSC's OceanCay Site FAQ:

• "Will restaurants and bars be open on the ship while the ship is at Ocean Cay?
  • The ship's buffet will be open at select times. The restaurants will not be open."

1379226113_ScreenShot2019-10-31at1_43_17PM.thumb.png.d7a12201724722d82d62e247bf7ddfb1.png

Edited by Motegi

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

If I am paying YC per day prices for a stateroom, I expect cuisine that is superior to whatever a food truck might provide.

LOL.  Nobody is forced to eat from the food trucks...  

Hopefully then your visit to Ocean Cay will be AFTER the Yacht Club area is complete.

• Like 1

10 days to go and no new pictures , MSC sure is keeping this top secret 😞

I'm not particularly bothered by the food trucks. Until I know what they are serving I can't tell whether or not it's a cost cutting measure., and even if it is, I'm fine with that too. Perhaps if they save a little $$ there, they can get new a new web page ;-). Seems like the concept is around already. NCL had the moving hot dog stand. RCL has the hot dog restaurant that is really not much more than a stand. They also have the donut stand that was always busy.  I was on Coco Cay not too long ago and they had tiki hut type food in addition to the buffet. I bet with all the kids, the stands/trucks will be popular but until the first real people get there your guess is as good as mine as to what these will look like in real life. 

We need pictures! The anticipation is great. 

• Like 2

On 10/29/2019 at 8:08 PM, deanman02 said:

I love the idea of food trucks!  I can imagine all kinds fun grabbing a snack as I continue my adventure. Can’t wait!

Coco Cay had a place "Snack Shack" that had amazing funnel cakes.    I'm imagining that kind of snacky foods from food trucks. 

I was thinking of things like conch fritters.  That would be a great snack.

It may not be for everyone, but I'm excited that they have other options.

--Russ

Edited by Russ_MT
  • Like 2

On a related note, the NCL private island in the Bahamas, Great Stirrup Cay, just added a food truck to their dining choices recently as well.  

On 10/29/2019 at 7:13 PM, FreestyleNovice said:

Another new for me was the food truck near the cabanas:

IMG_9600 (Medium).JPEG

IMG_9602 (Medium).JPEG

Edited by Motegi
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Motegi said:

On a related note, the NCL private island in the Bahamas, Great Stirrup Cay, just added a food truck to their dining choices recently as well.  

This is news to me.  And with NCL, this addition is costing them money for a company constantly trying to squeeze out every nickel.

The two private islands NCL goes to, one food is free and the other not.  Believe because one owned VS other leased.  GSC has added a second buffet, taco stand, now this truck/trailer.  Guess it was added if close to cabanas because other options a bit of a hike so they needed something closer to those shelling out hundreds for cabanas.

Food trucks are insanely popular around here, especially with the younger crowds.  I would not be surprised if the appearance of them on the private islands industry-wide is to help attract the younger crowds, who are largely staying away from cruising in general.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Beardface said:

Food trucks are insanely popular around here, especially with the younger crowds.  I would not be surprised if the appearance of them on the private islands industry-wide is to help attract the younger crowds, who are largely staying away from cruising in general.

I totally agree.  While older cruisers and those in rural areas might not be familiar with food trucks, younger cruisers and people in urban areas certainly know of them.  We have had some amazing food from the trucks at wineries in the area.  Many are operated by chefs who can't afford to open a store front location. These gourmet trucks have their fans who follow their mobile locations on their GPS.  

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Motegi said:

Per MSC's OceanCay Site FAQ:

• "Will restaurants and bars be open on the ship while the ship is at Ocean Cay?
  • The ship's buffet will be open at select times. The restaurants will not be open."

1379226113_ScreenShot2019-10-31at1_43_17PM.thumb.png.d7a12201724722d82d62e247bf7ddfb1.png

Ok you have to eat out of the truck...…..good to know

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dexddd said:

This is news to me.  And with NCL, this addition is costing them money for a company constantly trying to squeeze out every nickel.

The two private islands NCL goes to, one food is free and the other not.  Believe because one owned VS other leased.  GSC has added a second buffet, taco stand, now this truck/trailer.  Guess it was added if close to cabanas because other options a bit of a hike so they needed something closer to those shelling out hundreds for cabanas.

We were just at one of the private villas in early October but didn’t know about the new food truck.  We went to the silver cove villa buffet which had great selection, hardly any line, and plenty of seating.  But if we had known about the truck we probably would have gone to get a snack there in the afternoon!

Edited by Motegi

49 minutes ago, Motegi said:

We were just at one of the private villas in early October but didn’t know about the new food truck.  We went to the silver cove villa buffet which had great selection, hardly any line, and plenty of seating.  But if we had known about the truck we probably would have gone to get a snack there in the afternoon!

From what I have heard here nothing beats good truck food!   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dexddd said:

Correct.

For your idea; the food truck had a regular "back of the house", storage/ice machine, catering equipment etc

The food truck is visible on Google Maps with the Villa Lagoon still unopened to the sea, so not really sure how long it's in place. :classic_smile:

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

Heck, back in the day food trucks used to be called roach coaches with vending machine quality food.  These all look pretty good.

They still are called Roach Coaches in certain circles.

On 10/29/2019 at 9:14 PM, cruisingnewtoit said:

Most likely the food trucks will have nothing I can eat, my husband will like the variety. But will pass if it's standard hotdog & fries fare (Maybe).

Thought I had posted this before but maybe it was another thread. Here's the tentative menu for the food trucks:

Cold Food
Bahamian Ceviche
Shrimp Ceviche
Lobster Roll
Quinoa & Avocado Tropical Salad

Hot Food
Beef, Chicken, Vegetable Bahama Patties
Wings 6 Pieces
Tacos - Chicken or Vegetable
Conch Fritters

Not a hot dog to be seen! 🙂

Bret