Ocean Cay~ The Final Countdown

BermudaBound2014

On 11/1/2019 at 5:32 PM, shipgeeks said:

Exactly.  I don't know of any ship's dining room that is open on port days.

I’m perfectly fine with restaurants not being open for lunch, but what about dinner when we are there until 11:30pm?

Missed ports happen. On the surface, $100 obc and 20% seems generous. I will need to read the terms of the 20% off before I commit. If it's 20% off rack rate, the gesture has zero value since I haven't seen MSC sell for anywhere near rack rate in the last 5 years I've followed the company. I'd also like to know if the $100 is refundable OBC. If so, that is a very nice gesture. If not, the cost to MSC for a $100 obc is probably in the $25 range. 

I don't call BS that the island isn't finished, but I do call BS on the false advertising MSC has done, particularly in the last month. I received another offer to visit Ocean cay in November just yesterday. I can understand them wanting to keep the delay a secret, but openly campaigning for last minute trips for the specific purpose of visiting Ocean cay seems quite unethical.

The visual evidence for a delay was overwhelming. I only hope that those on-board were using the drone footage as evidence and not the cheerleader chants when setting their expectations for the island. It would be unfortunate if anyone was genuinely surprised at this. 

Here's the upcoming schedule for Ocean Cay. When the island does open it has potential to be truly spectacular. 

image.png.ebd9abfd307f10cdb4bab61e51831e78.png

• Thanks 1

I will be disappointed if my sailing doesn't go there. At least they are giving the discount and the OBC.  I have missed ports on other cruise lines and typically no compensation is given.  I do hope it opens soon as I am waiting with bated breath for pictures and reviews.

17 minutes ago, mtlchris said:

I'm on the Seaside supposedly stopping at OceanCay on Nov. 15, so far no news have been given regarding cancellation.

Weird- the first site I checked didn’t even have seaside stopping at ocean cay on nov 15 but cruiseit does. See below. The next cruise ship scheduled is armonia. Best of luck to you.

533C9D9C-974E-4C8F-AF78-C375374619DF.jpeg

096250F6-18F6-4B68-8AF3-F5815D0F27F4.jpeg

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Missed ports happen. On the surface, $100 obc and 20% seems generous. I will need to read the terms of the 20% off before I commit. If it's 20% off rack rate, the gesture has zero value since I haven't seen MSC sell for anywhere near rack rate in the last 5 years I've followed the company. I'd also like to know if the $100 is refundable OBC. If so, that is a very nice gesture. If not, the cost to MSC for a $100 obc is probably in the $25 range. 

I don't call BS that the island isn't finished, but I do call BS on the false advertising MSC has done, particularly in the last month. I received another offer to visit Ocean cay in November just yesterday. I can understand them wanting to keep the delay a secret, but openly campaigning for last minute trips for the specific purpose of visiting Ocean cay seems quite unethical.

The visual evidence for a delay was overwhelming. I only hope that those on-board were using the drone footage as evidence and not the cheerleader chants when setting their expectations for the island. It would be unfortunate if anyone was genuinely surprised at this. 

Here's the upcoming schedule for Ocean Cay. When the island does open it has potential to be truly spectacular. 

image.png.ebd9abfd307f10cdb4bab61e51831e78.png

We're scheduled to be there on December 6 on the Seaside (November 30 sailing), so I don't know how accurate this schedule is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

We're scheduled to be there on December 6 on the Seaside (November 30 sailing), so I don't know how accurate this schedule is.

I agree- it’s very different than the cruiseit site. I’m taking that crew site out of my bookmarks. Sorry for any confusion- here is the cruiseit snip

80F0FE81-8700-4A60-B3FA-ED703EC7372F.jpeg

15E75666-6E9E-4493-AF6A-FA391FE3E23F.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I agree- it’s very different than the cruiseit site. I’m taking that crew site out of my bookmarks. Sorry for any confusion- here is the cruiseit snip

80F0FE81-8700-4A60-B3FA-ED703EC7372F.jpeg

15E75666-6E9E-4493-AF6A-FA391FE3E23F.png

We're scheduled to be there on November 20 on the Meraviglia (November 17 sailing), it’s not even listed. 🥺

9 minutes ago, flaca0604 said:

We're scheduled to be there on November 20 on the Meraviglia (November 17 sailing), it’s not even listed. 🥺

Shoot~ I was hopeful the cruiseTT site was up-to-date but I guess its not accurate either. It's most likely just a glitch in the websites listing stops in Ocean Cay. Probably because everything is so new.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

5 hours ago, dorts said:

Just seen the following response on Twitter from the Chief Operating Officer for MSC US. Hopefully he is in the know....

Screenshot_20191105-082243.jpg

Thank you for the copy/paste. ^5.

There are now several threads on various sites stating Ocean Cay won't be open until the Thanksgiving cruises based on this tweet. I don't think we can conclude that from what Ken states. He just says it will be open before Thanksgiving cruises arrive. That could mean as early as next week, who knows?

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

There are now several threads on various sites stating Ocean Cay won't be open until the Thanksgiving cruises based on this tweet. I don't think we can conclude that from what Ken states. He just says it will be open before Thanksgiving cruises arrive. That could mean as early as next week, who knows?

Thanksgiving is not like Christmas, it is celebrated on different dates throughout the world. Better don't use it to set something 😉

The official statement of MSC mentions the Seaside on 15th November as first ship to arrive at OC.

Edited by perakcruiser
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 12:32 PM, cruiseguyinorl said:

Thought I had posted this before but maybe it was another thread. Here's the tentative menu for the food trucks:

Cold Food
Bahamian Ceviche
Shrimp Ceviche
Lobster Roll
Quinoa & Avocado Tropical Salad

Hot Food
Beef, Chicken, Vegetable Bahama Patties
Wings 6 Pieces
Tacos - Chicken or Vegetable
Conch Fritters

Not a hot dog to be seen! 🙂

Bret

That all sounds great!  I'll take one of each.  Much better than hamburgers, hot dogs, and pizza at the buffet.

3 minutes ago, Motegi said:

That all sounds great!  I'll take one of each.  Much better than hamburgers, hot dogs, and pizza at the buffet.

The buffet will have much more than hamburgers and hot dogs too.

Appetizers and Salads

Trumpet Pasta Salad
Trumpet Shells, BBQ Chicken, Chorizo and Sun Dried Tomatoes, Citrus Garlic Dressing

*Bahamian Ginger and Lime Couscous
Black Beans, Cherry Tomatoes, Golden Pineapple, Shredded Greens, Ginger Dressing

*Caribbean Yucca Salad
Marinated Yucca, Peppers, Mango, Pineapple, Lime Rum Dressing

* Island Spiced Corn and Bean Salad
Pinto Kidney, Lima Beans Tossed, Sweet Corn, Jalapefio, Cilantro Dressing

*Herb Vegetable Salad
Cucumber, Onion, Peppers Lightly Tossed in Fresh Oregano, Cumin Seeds Vinaigrette

*Tropical Red Cabbage Slaw
Mandarin, Raisins, Red Wine Vinaigrette

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
Arugula, Pecans, Bacon, Goat Cheese and Honey Lemon Dressing

Fruit
Carving Station: Pineapple, Watermelon, Seasonal Selection of Tropical Fruit

Island BBQ Menu

Main Courses

Freshly Grilled Island Signature Burger

signature blend of fresh angus chunk, short ribs, brisket meat patty grilled, red onion jam,

monterrey cheese, sweet fries

* Portobello Mushroom Burger
Crispy Plantains, Key West Lime, Avocado, Garlicky Aioli

Pork Ribs
Slow Roasted Ribs, Sweet Tamarind BBQ sauce

Beef Brisket
Special Brisket Rub, Slow Smoked For 12 Hours with Apple Woods

Bahamas Style Jerk Chicken
Sweet Plantains, Island Favorite

Veracruz-Style Red Snapper
Garlic, Lime Rice

*Green Plantains & French Fries

*BBQ Beans
Southern Style BBQ Beans

*Corn Lollipops
Dusted Smoked Peppers Seasoning

*Vegetarian Options

Dessert

Creamy Caramel Flan
Tres Leches
Rum Cake
Coconut Macaroon
Guava Duff with butter rum sauce
Spicy Chocolate Cake

Kids Menu

Buttermilk Chicken Tenders
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce

Smiling Fish Bites
Tater Tots
Bahamas Mac 'n' Cheese

• Like 1

I'll just interject for a second.

This constant calling of anyone who isn't perpetually pissed off at MSC a "cheerleader" isn't doing anything to harbor any kind of good discussion on here, and only attempts to invalidate the sayings and claims of those who aren't always mad.  Given the push from some to always make this cruise line controversial for whatever reason, these kind of comments are disingenuous at best and only exist to further drive people away from this line and to foster a community on here where there is an unwritten rule that positivity isn't accepted or welcomed.

Its telling that the knee jerk reaction by some to this opening being delayed is effectively thumb their nose at everyone else with a 'see, I told you that MSC was a bunch of lying crooks, its a shame you believed the cheerleaders over me' is incredibly annoying and frustrating to see on here.

• Like 5