Canadian Booking PG - Help With TA and Incentives

Doubt It

Greetings everyone:

Given the kind recent info to my post about the best time of year, I have just booked my first PG cruise - Aug 28, 2021 - the 14 dayer!   My spouse and I are beyond excited.

I booked directly with PG cause I wanted a specific cabin, got it, 811.  It is in US$, but did get a Cdn promotion as a new customer with $1,400 pp off the published price.

The booking is on a 72 hr hold until Monday at 4pm.

Sooooo, I wish to transfer to a TA and obtain incentives. I currently do not have a TA.

Q1 - Could you kind folks advise me as to the most beneficial route to take?  Any ideas would be welcome! Cdn TA or US TA - online or bricks and motar?  What is an appropriate incentive for a booking at the $26,000 US$ level?

Q2 - How long do I have to transfer to a TA?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

We can't specifically suggest a TA.  But you can do some googling and come up with possibilities.  Make sure they have luxury cruise travel experience.  I'm Canadian but my TA is in the U.S.  They give a flat "gift", a rebate really, at a percentage rate.  They also give good advice about cabins, etc.  You don't need that obviously (lucky you, deck 8!)   Our TA's rate is 7.5% I believe, although some individual cruises are higher.

Hi everything.

Thank you kindly for your responses.

Wendy The Wanderer would you be so kind to contact me regarding your approach, cause we are both in Canada, would appreciate a more in depth discussion on using a US TA in particular.

I can be contacted at aboatnerd@gmail.com

My understanding of the current policy on this subject is PG doesn't allow any rebating/discounting by TA's, but additional OBC can be added in as an amenity. If TA's are doing anything different then they are probably going against the current policy. Of course a TA one could ask PG directly to verify 😉

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

On 10/19/2019 at 9:34 AM, Doubt It said:

Greetings everyone:

Given the kind recent info to my post about the best time of year, I have just booked my first PG cruise - Aug 28, 2021 - the 14 dayer!   My spouse and I are beyond excited.

I booked directly with PG cause I wanted a specific cabin, got it, 811.  It is in US$, but did get a Cdn promotion as a new customer with $1,400 pp off the published price.

The booking is on a 72 hr hold until Monday at 4pm.

Sooooo, I wish to transfer to a TA and obtain incentives. I currently do not have a TA.

Q1 - Could you kind folks advise me as to the most beneficial route to take?  Any ideas would be welcome! Cdn TA or US TA - online or bricks and motar?  What is an appropriate incentive for a booking at the $26,000 US$ level?

Q2 - How long do I have to transfer to a TA?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

You will love the 8 th deck....my favourite. I have sailed on the 4 th, 6 th and 7 th as well over the years. 

I use US TAs as they offer good incentives. The Canadian ones just cannot match them. 10% off luxury cruises is not too far off. Though if your annual bookings are over the 50, 000$US mark you can negotiate higher incentives/ gifts or whatever you want to call them. I speak generally here with respect to all luxury lines  and not specifically with respect to PG. 

20 hours ago, alwaysonaship said:

.... You don’t need a luxury cruise TA, just someone who is willing to share his or her cut.

Partially true, except that some TAs know the ship and can help advise you about cabin choices. And some TAs, often the same ones, have good connections with the company so can alert you about any special deals before they are generally announced.

I agree, but I think it depends on your knowledge. We had a luxury TA do a booking on crystal for us. She gave me a price..a little higher than some others, but we had used her before. She quoted a healthy OBC. We got on the ship and I checked to see that the OBC was there...NO. This woman, who was a Virtuoso agent with a well known company, had quoted me and included the OBC in the total price. I never used her again.

On 10/25/2019 at 6:35 AM, alwaysonaship said:

We got a very nice rebate from our TA after our cruise. It runs from 8-10%. You don’t need a luxury cruise TA, just someone who is willing to share his or her cut.

For what it's worth I always recommend to those that ask that they ask the TA have they been to FP?  How many times have they been to FP? And when was the last time?  I would never use a TA who hasn't been to FP and hopefully they've been there several times. Things can change quickly in FP so a recent trip is a  requirement in my book. 

IMO the very best agents don't need to give up much as they are knowledgeable and thus get a good client base plus referrals. When your giving huge amounts of commission away it tells me the agent may be price driven and not expertise driven, there are a few exceptions but that's accurate in most cases. I'm a wedding photographer and from doing 100's of shoots over 2 decades I can tell you the most troublesome clients are the ones who want discounts and are head hunting for the lowest price, frankly I push them away as I know it's going to be a pain in the a$$ from beginning to end  ...... the client who says I want so and so please send me the contract along with a paypal link to pay the deposit are the clients who are easy to work with  .....

Personally I would never rely on a TA or anyone who organizes groups. French Polynesia is not that complicated and a little homework for the first time cruiser is all it takes. 

There is is so much good information out there especially today on where to go, what to do, that what appeals to one person may not be to another’s liking. 

‘’It sounds like you are a TA.  

1 hour ago, alwaysonaship said:

Personally I would never rely on a TA or anyone who organizes groups. French Polynesia is not that complicated and a little homework for the first time cruiser is all it takes. 

There is is so much good information out there especially today on where to go, what to do, that what appeals to one person may not be to another’s liking. 

Last response on this issue/topic   ....

I've made 20 some trips to French Polynesia and still learn new things every time I go and I love to share my knowledge and experience for those planning a trip to paradise. Yes there is more on-line than lets say 20 years ago to glean from but things change rapidly and what may be fact last year may not be this year. Obviously you prefer to march to your own drum beat and that's fine, the planning can be fun for some. Over the decades I've received thanks 100's of times for helping people plan their trip of a lifetime and they love having some knowledgeable help and I'm happy to do so. That is the whole idea of Cruisecritic, sharing knowledge/experiences with others. 

To answer your other statement I'm not a TA  ..... I'm a real estate Broker and a wedding photographer/cinematographer 😉

You have a good trip 

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2019 at 8:05 AM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

IMO the very best agents don't need to give up much as they are knowledgeable and thus get a good client base plus referrals. When your giving huge amounts of commission away it tells me the agent may be price driven and not expertise driven..

....I can tell you the most troublesome clients are the ones who want discounts and are head hunting for the lowest price...

My 2 cents, this runs completely counter to 9 cruises on the PG. My agent is extremely knowledgeable.  It is commonly known that if you book directly with PG (or any luxury cruise company), you are leaving substantial savings on the table.

7 hours ago, sita said:

My 2 cents, this runs completely counter to 9 cruises on the PG. My agent is extremely knowledgeable.  It is commonly known that if you book directly with PG (or any luxury cruise company), you are leaving substantial savings on the table.

Totally concur. Has been true of my 65 cruises, 35 or so in the luxury market.

Sita, I had espoused my opinion but guess what, someone complained and it was deleted!

• Like 1

The first time we inquired about  a PG cruise (a company based in Seattle and sailing exclusively out of Tahiti) we were contacted by a cruise travel agent who was referred to us by PG. When we booked the cruise, my credit card was charged through a company in Ireland, causing me to incur a large foreign transaction fee. If it had been through Tahiti, I wouldn't have complained, but doing it through Ireland did not reflect well on PG in Seattle. Our travel agent was able to resolve that with PG, eliminating the FTF. 

Until this thread, I didn't know about the big Canadian currency discount. We're obviously paying way more in US dollars if Canadian currency is being considered the same in value. And we have never received an 8 to 10 percent payment back to us after our PG cruises. We do receive OBCs, but no where near 8 tp 10 percent. We've always stayed on deck 8. As Americans, I guess PG has taken advantage of us. Hopefully Ponant will level the prices in the future so that everyone pays the same number of Euros no matter where they're from.

Edited by SWFLAOK
clarification

On 10/27/2019 at 9:16 AM, alwaysonaship said:

Over the past few years, I have valued TBK's opinions on what to do and see in French Polynesia, with detailed information and photos to back it up. And it's been backed up by our own experiences. I have never gotten the impression that he was a TA.

I have not read anything of value about visiting French Polynesia posted by alwaysonaship. This just seemed like an unprovoked attack on someone who has been a contributor to the PG forum.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sita said:

I've always given straight information. Sometimes I may post something that someone doesn't like but never less it's the truth. If I don't know the answer I simply email the appropriate person to get the bottom line. 

I'm not a TA, just a well traveled tourist to French Polynesia and considerable knowledge about the PG in particular. 

Thank you for the kinds words  ... 

40 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

The first time we inquired about  a PG cruise (a company based in Seattle and sailing exclusively out of Tahiti) we were contacted by a cruise travel agent who was referred to us by PG. When we booked the cruise, my credit card was charged through a company in Ireland, causing me to incur a large foreign transaction fee. If it had been through Tahiti, I wouldn't have complained, but doing it through Ireland did not reflect well on PG in Seattle. Our travel agent was able to resolve that with PG, eliminating the FTF. 

Until this thread, I didn't know about the big Canadian currency discount. We're obviously paying way more in US dollars if Canadian currency is being considered the same in value. And we have never received an 8 to 10 percent payment back to us after our PG cruises. We do receive OBCs, but no where near 8 tp 10 percent. We've always stayed on deck 8. As Americans, I guess PG has taken advantage of us. Hopefully Ponant will level the prices in the future so that everyone pays the same number of Euros no matter where they're from.

Unfortunately, we do not get a Canadian currency equivalent on PG  like we do on Regent and Oceania. But as a savvy cruiser I am sure you have heard of residence specials, seniors specials and country specials. These have been around for the last 23 years I have cruised. It is common marketing practice to reduce prices in markets that cruise lines want to develop. I once used an Australian agent and booked a cruise for 1/3 rd of the price than it was in Canada. That loophole has since been closed and cruise lines now need residence to give you the deal. 

34 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

Over the past few years, I have valued TBK's opinions on what to do and see in French Polynesia, with detailed information and photos to back it up. And it's been backed up by our own experiences. I have never gotten the impression that he was a TA.

I have not read anything of value about visiting French Polynesia posted by alwaysonaship. This just seemed like an unprovoked attack on someone who has been a contributor to the PG forum.

Alwaysonaship is a poster on Seabourn and other luxury boards. I recall her once posting that the only way to do FP is on the PG.  We share commonalities in our travel approaches. 

We have only done 13 trips on the PG but our 50 plus cruises on other lines give us a broader base. You may go a 100 times to St.Barts but you may not know how to land a Birkin or Kelly so everyone has different perspectives. Alas, no H in FP but no doubt Ponant will soon open a Gucci. 

I used to to post a great deal on the PG board but have recently been busy with other travels worldwide. I am booked for the 2021 reunion cruise so may likely wander here more often. 

54 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

I meant this post for you  😉

I've always given straight information. Sometimes I may post something that someone doesn't like but never less it's the truth. If I don't know the answer I simply email the appropriate person to get the bottom line. 

I'm not a TA, just a well traveled tourist to French Polynesia and considerable knowledge about the PG in particular. 

Thank you for the kinds words  ... 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Emdee said:

Totally concur. Has been true of my 65 cruises, 35 or so in the luxury market.

Sita, I had espoused my opinion but guess what, someone complained and it was deleted!

Emdee, I did see your post but before I could agree it was gone; yours was not the only one deleted. One of these days, I hope to be on a cruise with you! I will forever be grateful for your Sofitel Beach Bungalow recommendation in Moorea.... heaven! Happy travels to you!

12 minutes ago, sita said:

Emdee, I did see your post but before I could agree it was gone; yours was not the only one deleted. One of these days, I hope to be on a cruise with you! I will forever be grateful for your Sofitel Beach Bungalow recommendation in Moorea.... heaven! Happy travels to you!

Why don’t you join me on the PG reunion in 2021.

have a lovely group of people coming with us will be a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

Just a Canadian point of view, we have done two cruises with P&G as well as 35 others most a luxury level.

From Canada if you book with a Canadian TA you are cover by an Insurance if they are a registered TICO member. We found this out the hard way many years ago when a large company we used went down before we were ready to depart.

Another time our luggage was lost and our agent from Canada helped in money from cruise line and search for luggage on mainline ( it was stollen) so spent 7 days no luggage glad I had a Canadian TA that could help in Toronto.

I also am a hands on person but accept guidance from a skilled agent who I can share my interest with and they can help make a good match for me( trip/ cruise line time of year)