Trivia

tjcletzgo

DH and I enjoy playing trivia on our cruises. We try to seek out some teammates who have a different range of interests than our own since we're weak on pop culture questions. We usually manage to win once or twice during a cruise. But we have fun and a good laugh win or lose, and generally learn a few interesting factoids. Are there people who take it way too seriously and cheat? Sure. But I think the "taking it too seriously" can also include becoming overly suspicious about the rival teams. For example, we assembled a group of 6 that we played with pretty regularly during the last half of our recent cruise. One couple had two friends who would always show up with cocktails and sit behind the "team" couple, laughing and enjoying watching. I'm sure some people looked at us and thought, that group has 8 people! But that extra couple were just watchers and weren't contributing anything but laughs. I get it that the observers can't "know" for sure whether or not the extras are contributing. You just have to take it on faith. And now with all the apps and unlimited internet packages, you also can't tell if someone is using their phone to google answers to to check when bingo starts. You just have to hope people are relatively honest, know that a few folks aren't, but remember the extremely low stakes involved!

We've also found ourselves in situations where we are playing with a teammate we just met who is very insistent on an answer we're sure is wrong. Sometimes we push hard to insist on our answer but other times we just shrug and go with the wrong answer so as to not offend our new acquaintance.