MSC DIvina vs. Carnival Victory?

JainaEowyn

Here's the situation: I finally convinced my husband to go on a cruise to celebrate my birthday in January. (It helped that some friends extolled the virtues of smoked salmon and other food in cruise MDRs and buffets, haha.) Since he's a little reluctant, I really want it to be a good experience. We're on a pretty tight budget, though, so I'm looking at two options:

1. 3 nights on MSC Divina from Miami, stopping in Freeport and Ocean Cay
  2. 3 nights (though it looks more like 4??) on Carnival Victory from Miami, stopping in Half Moon Cay and Nassau

I've heard such incredibly mixed reviews about the Divina that I'm a little reluctant to risk it. That said, I've heard it's less likely to attract as many kids as Carnival (understandably) and we won't have any kids with us, so I would much prefer a less... loud cruise, given the option, so that's a plus for Divina. Food is a big draw for us, though, and almost every Divina review I've seen says that the food is incredibly bland and that's a definite drawback. My main hopes for the cruise would be to be able to just relax (and disconnect from our devices, so we won't be getting the internet package), have some great food, and see some decent entertainment in the evenings.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's sailed the Divina pretty recently and has a feel for the current quality of things onboard, especially if you've sailed a Carnival Victory-level ship too. Thanks!

2 hours ago, JainaEowyn said:

Here's the situation: I finally convinced my husband to go on a cruise to celebrate my birthday in January. (It helped that some friends extolled the virtues of smoked salmon and other food in cruise MDRs and buffets, haha.) Since he's a little reluctant, I really want it to be a good experience. We're on a pretty tight budget, though, so I'm looking at two options:

1. 3 nights on MSC Divina from Miami, stopping in Freeport and Ocean Cay
  2. 3 nights (though it looks more like 4??) on Carnival Victory from Miami, stopping in Half Moon Cay and Nassau

I've heard such incredibly mixed reviews about the Divina that I'm a little reluctant to risk it. That said, I've heard it's less likely to attract as many kids as Carnival (understandably) and we won't have any kids with us, so I would much prefer a less... loud cruise, given the option, so that's a plus for Divina. Food is a big draw for us, though, and almost every Divina review I've seen says that the food is incredibly bland and that's a definite drawback. My main hopes for the cruise would be to be able to just relax (and disconnect from our devices, so we won't be getting the internet package), have some great food, and see some decent entertainment in the evenings.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's sailed the Divina pretty recently and has a feel for the current quality of things onboard, especially if you've sailed a Carnival Victory-level ship too. Thanks!

I have sailed the Divina twice with a third booked for December.  I have also sailed the Carnival Victory along with 23 other Carnival cruises.  The Divina is a gorgeous classy ship.  The Victory is older (19 years old) and certainly a different style ship.  (Think party).  I've enjoyed the food on both ships but Carnival will certainly give you more options outside the main dining rooms.  I have not found the food on Divina to be bland but food is subjective.  MSC definitely has the best pizza at sea.  MSC wins hand down for the evening theater shows.  A 3 day cruise will draw a different crowd than a longer cruise and 3 days on a Carnival ship is a loud party.   I haven't sailed a short cruise on Msc so I can't comment on that but there is a difference generally in the guests you will find between the 2 lines.  Hope this helped.  Have a wonderful time whichever choice you make.

I have been on the Victory multiple times in the last 3 years and have also been on the Divina.  

My vote is for Divina without a doubt.  

Victory feels very much downmarket in comparison to Divina in every way.  

I disagree with the earlier respondent regarding the food offerings on each of the ships.  I had multiple meals on the Victory that were inedible including the flat iron steak that came out hard like a stick of firewood despite having ordered medium rare.  We enjoyed all of the MDR and specialty dining meals on the Divina

Some may ask if I didn’t like it as much why did I sail on the Victory so many times?  Two of the cruises were “free”, one was $89, and one was $99.  Three of them were group cruises organized by another party.

Edited by Motegi

I'd easily choose Divina.

As others have stated, Victory will be a party ship. If that's not the vibe you're going for, you might as well just skip over it. Also, the Divina is such a classy vessel, as is much larger/newer, so you're going to get a much more luxe experience. I prefer the food on MSC over that of Carnival, but I do agree that Carnival tends to present more options away from the MDR and Lido. However, MSC is an international line so the food in the MDR and Buffet tends to be more varied. The cabins on Divina have been the largest cabins I've ever had while at sea. so while it is only a 3 day trip, I most certainly think it's worth it. You'll get to experience the new Ocean Cay, which could be a nice experience. Plus, Freeport needs to visitors and tourist $$ after the storm. Most definitely going with Divina here, hopefully you do as well!

I've sailed both.  Divina is by far the nicer ship but I mostly sail for the ports, so I'd go with Victory just because Half Moon Cay is paradise!  I'm not a fan of the decor on most Carnival ships (I call them "bad-acid-trip-flashback" decor) and the layouts aren't great on any except the Spirit class (because those ships were never intended for Carnival originally).  But I'm sailing on Carnival #30 this Saturday so it obviously isn't the determining factor.

The "Party Boat" stuff about Carnival is a bit outdated, but the shorter cruises do tend to draw more young folks, simply because they often can't afford the longer sailings.

Depending on the cabin choice, Carnival actually has some of the largest interior and OV cabins out there. 

Food is so subjective that nothing anyone says here should have much influence.  It varies so much, from ship to ship within a cruise line and even from sailing to sailing!  And your choices of where to dine and when makes a difference.  I don't think the food on Divina was any better (or worse) than I've had on other ships or from other lines.  I enjoyed having a different menu than I've had on Carnival for so many sailings.

In case you haven't been reading a lot of comments on this board, there are a lot of US cruisers who don't enjoy the "international flavor" of MSC so much.  They don't like hearing announcements in 5 languages.  They don't believe some from other cultures exhibit the same "manners" that they're used to and don't want to be surrounded by people speaking something other than English.  Given that my past 3 sailings have all been on MSC (Divina, Armonia, Armonia), all since last December, that obviously isn't an issue for me.  I personally don't understand why people want to travel outside of their country and then complain about "the foreigners!"  But, sadly, plenty do!  Just one other thing to keep in mind!

I have been on both ships multiple times because Miami is local to me...and I'm a deal hound.  

It's not even a close comparison.  Divina is 10x classier of a ship.  Gorgeous pool areas, significantly better buffet.  No annoying LET ME HEAR YOU SCREAM LOUDERRRRRRRRRRR like you get on Carnival *constantly*

Half Moon Cay and Ocean Cay are a toss up, OC hasn't opened yet so can't say how good or not.  Freeport is bad, Nassau is a bit better. 

Carnival will be rowdier, the main thoroughfare of the ship stinks like smoke.  Large Oceanview rooms, great dining room food.  I just got off Carnival 2 weeks ago and there was a lot of very vulgar and obscene guests.  Never experienced that on other cruise lines.  Like a trashy hole in wall sports bar.  

Prices similar I'm taking Divina. 

I am taking Divina on a 3 nighter soon instead of Victory.   

Edited by LMaxwell

On 10/21/2019 at 8:03 AM, NCTribeFan said:

In case you haven't been reading a lot of comments on this board, there are a lot of US cruisers who don't enjoy the "international flavor" of MSC so much.  They don't like hearing announcements in 5 languages.  They don't believe some from other cultures exhibit the same "manners" that they're used to and don't want to be surrounded by people speaking something other than English.  Given that my past 3 sailings have all been on MSC (Divina, Armonia, Armonia), all since last December, that obviously isn't an issue for me.  I personally don't understand why people want to travel outside of their country and then complain about "the foreigners!"  But, sadly, plenty do!  Just one other thing to keep in mind!

My hubby and I LOVE the international flavor, so that sounds fantastic!

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I have been on both ships multiple times because Miami is local to me...and I'm a deal hound.  

It's not even a close comparison.  Divina is 10x classier of a ship.  Gorgeous pool areas, significantly better buffet.  No annoying LET ME HEAR YOU SCREAM LOUDERRRRRRRRRRR like you get on Carnival *constantly*

Half Moon Cay and Ocean Cay are a toss up, OC hasn't opened yet so can't say how good or not.  Freeport is bad, Nassau is a bit better. 

Carnival will be rowdier, the main thoroughfare of the ship stinks like smoke.  Large Oceanview rooms, great dining room food.  I just got off Carnival 2 weeks ago and there was a lot of very vulgar and obscene guests.  Never experienced that on other cruise lines.  Like a trashy hole in wall sports bar.  

Constant encouragement to yell louder would probably drive me nuts after a while, so that's very good to know!

I'm honestly thinking it might be worth just staying on the ship during most of the Freeport day and hanging out at the pool since it'll be less crowded. 😉 Ocean Cay *looks* like it'll be really nice and I figure at least there's only a couple months between opening and when we'd sail for it to get messed up, but that's some time to work out any kinks too. 😃 They've got some fun excursions available there for relatively reasonable prices, too, so that could be fun.

Thank you all so much for your feedback, too! I just booked our cruise on the Divina and I am SO excited!

I sailed on Divina before and loved it. I have a Victory cruise booked in December. I think I'll love that one too, but I have also set very different expectations for that ship LOL for the reasons others have mentioned already. All things being equal I would pick Divina. Good luck!