Platinum Priority Boarding

26 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The MDR doesn't contribute to the mass attack. Very few people know it's open and very, very few, go there for lunch, making it a great place to start a cruise.

The MDR is open 12md to 1.30pm right? Therefore they would not want you in there after 1.15pm.   A tight window.  It should be open 12noon to 3pm to be fair to all, not everyone can get on board early.

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The MDR is open 12md to 1.30pm right? Therefore they would not want you in there after 1.15pm.   A tight window.  It should be open 12noon to 3pm to be fair to all, not everyone can get on board early.

They wouldn't want anyone to arrive much after 1.15pm. They are probably trying to keep to the usual hours for lunch in the MDR for staffing purposes, although the number of waiters is much less than on sea days. I would also think that anyone who boards the ship at (say) 2.30 already has had lunch. 

16 hours ago, NSWP said:

Firstly let me say we have been Elite on Princess since 2009 and since then sometimes we use priority boarding and sometimes just prefer to turn up mid afternoon when the rat race has died down.  I do not wish to race on board just to get into the MDR for embarkation lunch, I mean to say you are on board for lunch most days.

The trouble with Princess these days is that almost every man and his dog is Elite or Platinum, having Priority boarding.  It has got out of control.  Time to do a cull and restrict Priority boarding to Elites only, the Platinums can wait as can the rich dudes booked in suites, this will thin it out a bit.  Also Princess and for that matter all the other cruise lines should enforce the given check in times. If you are too early for your given time, do not let them enter the terminal.  We have to reduce the crowding impact in terminals like the OPT - Circular Quay.

OK, had my say, standby for incoming.

Our group of 6 includes 4 over 70 with one having 2 artificial knees and needing a walking stick. 2 are Elite, 3 are Platinum, and the last will be Platinum after this trip. None of us have used the short cut methods that are available to obtaining our status.

We travel 140Km from home to the OPT via a mini bus that caters to our needs, and to keep costs reasonable the company also picks up either returning cruisers or airline passengers for the return trip. This means that we are delivered to the OPT around noon without any option time wise. 

Long live priority boarding until such time as adequate accommodations are made to allow time enforcement. At least the failure at White Bay has seating.

On 10/20/2019 at 11:45 AM, Russell21 said:

Received a message from Princess containing the following message, and I'm not sure whether the wording means we can still have priority boarding regardless of our deck level, and can board at 12.00 noon.

image.png.043beef6e3f0c8f208a08eda9a8412a3.png

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men". Attributed to Harry Day, the Royal Flying Corps First World War fighter ace.

20 hours ago, NSWP said:

Firstly let me say we have been Elite on Princess since 2009 and since then sometimes we use priority boarding and sometimes just prefer to turn up mid afternoon when the rat race has died down.  I do not wish to race on board just to get into the MDR for embarkation lunch, I mean to say you are on board for lunch most days.

The trouble with Princess these days is that almost every man and his dog is Elite or Platinum, having Priority boarding.  It has got out of control.  Time to do a cull and restrict Priority boarding to Elites only, the Platinums can wait as can the rich dudes booked in suites, this will thin it out a bit.  Also Princess and for that matter all the other cruise lines should enforce the given check in times. If you are too early for your given time, do not let them enter the terminal.  We have to reduce the crowding impact in terminals like the OPT - Circular Quay.

OK, had my say, standby for incoming.

I think they will cut it down to restrict it but you have it the wrong way. With some lines, they have retained the priority for the Suite guests, as they are paying for the privilege and loyalty status guest have been dropped. 

3 hours ago, By The Bay said:

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men". Attributed to Harry Day, the Royal Flying Corps First World War fighter ace.

Interesting quote, did disregarding rules help him survive?

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

No, Baron Von Richthofen shot him down in 1915.  He should have obeyed the 'rules.'😮

Fake News! He was a Royal Marine in the First World War onboard HMS Britannia when it was sunk by UB50. He received the Albert Medal for his rescue of 3 fellow sailors.  This event happened 2 days before the armistice was signed.

In WW2 in October 1939, as Wing Commander aged of 40, he was shot down whilst flying a RAF Bristol Blenheim by  Unteroffizier Stephan Lutjens in a Me109. He was sent to various POW camps for the duration of the war in Europe.

Where he didn't obey the rules was in his involvement in many escape attempts. He received, among other awards, the OBE and DSO for his services whilst a prisoner of war.

For more on this remarkable man, see: Harry "Wings" Day

19 hours ago, lyndarra said:

The Baron didn't obey his own rules which got him shot down.

19 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Fake News! He was a Royal Marine in the First World War onboard HMS Britannia when it was sunk by UB50. He received the Albert Medal for his rescue of 3 fellow sailors.  This event happened 2 days before the armistice was signed.

In WW2 in October 1939, as Wing Commander aged of 40, he was shot down whilst flying a RAF Bristol Blenheim by  Unteroffizier Stephan Lutjens in a Me109. He was sent to various POW camps for the duration of the war in Europe.

Where he didn't obey the rules was in his involvement in many escape attempts. He received, among other awards, the OBE and DSO for his services whilst a prisoner of war.

For more on this remarkable man, see: Harry "Wings" Day

Thank you, amazing what history Mr Google reveals. 😉

19 hours ago, lyndarra said:

The Baron didn't obey his own rules which got him shot down.

Was the Baron Elite ? Must have been, he got more than 15 allied aircraft, did he not?  I think the British gave him a good send off.

Edited by NSWP

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Was the Baron Elite ? Must have been, he got more than 15 allied aircraft, did he not?  I think the British gave him a good send off.

I have read that it was an Aussie machine gunner that took him down.

4 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Fake news, it was young Corporal Adolf Hitler that shot the Baron down. Well known that Adolf was a SpecSavers customer, back then, even in WW1.🤣

Edited by NSWP

6 hours ago, Russell21 said:

That's correct but it could have been one of two.

Also, it was the Diggers that gave him his send off with full military honours.

The rule he broke was flying to low over  enemy positions while chasing an enemy fighter.