Interesting Help From RCCL

PROCRUISE

This will only be my second cruise with RCCL. Have cruised with most of the main lines and especially with Celebrity.

Since we have select dining in the MDR I forgot that one can select times. So I went into our reservation and was doing "fine" until one date would not take any selected time. So, I called RCCL. A nice young male presentative went through every evening that I had selected, including the one that was not being accepted. He assured me, "you're all set for each night."

After hanging up, I opened our reservation to find that EVERY single evening had been rejected and we could check when onboard to see of there were any openings for the times selected.

I recalled RCCL and spoke with a female representative. I explained what I had just gone through and asked, can't we just go to the MDR when we want and just wait for a table for two, or join others when one is available. Of course you can, she said, So no real significant complaint but why did the male representative put me through the dog and pony show and tell me we were all set, when indeed, we were not. Just asking, not complaining.

I just went through similar issues with AT&T (for the last month) I don't think they are intentional lies, but they seem like lies when what they are telling you does not jibe with reality, and what actually happens. I don't know what it is with customer service anymore, but it seems to be pretty poor. 

Edited by Coralc

9 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

So no real significant complaint but why did the male representative put me through the dog and pony show and tell me we were all set, when indeed, we were not.

Because just as you experienced, the RCI IT system is probably just as bad for the CSRs - he just didn't want to tell you he couldn't fix it either and instead screwed it up somehow (or the system did).

3 hours ago, cb at sea said:

If you're trying to book a "popular" time, like around 7pm, you'll have to wait until your ON the ship.  They don't pre-book the most popular time.

YMMV, but I pre-booked 7:15 each night for Adventure in Sept. and pre-booked 7:00 each night for Grandeur in Nov.

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

YMMV, but I pre-booked 7:15 each night for Adventure in Sept. and pre-booked 7:00 each night for Grandeur in Nov.

Same here, 7.15 pm, 14 nights, Explorer in November. Maybe it differs ship to ship? 

16 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

This will only be my second cruise with RCCL. Have cruised with most of the main lines and especially with Celebrity.

Since we have select dining in the MDR I forgot that one can select times. So I went into our reservation and was doing "fine" until one date would not take any selected time. So, I called RCCL. A nice young male presentative went through every evening that I had selected, including the one that was not being accepted. He assured me, "you're all set for each night."

After hanging up, I opened our reservation to find that EVERY single evening had been rejected and we could check when onboard to see of there were any openings for the times selected.

I recalled RCCL and spoke with a female representative. I explained what I had just gone through and asked, can't we just go to the MDR when we want and just wait for a table for two, or join others when one is available. Of course you can, she said, So no real significant complaint but why did the male representative put me through the dog and pony show and tell me we were all set, when indeed, we were not. Just asking, not complaining.

Are you expecting an actual answer?  I don’t think anyone here can possibly know.  The only way to know for sure would be to ask that representative directly.  If you want speculation then it could be any number of things: lack of experience, poor training, poor IT systems, you called during the wrong phase of the moon, etc.

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

5 minutes ago, Bestbubba said:

Same here, 7.15 pm, 14 nights, Explorer in November. Maybe it differs ship to ship? 

Yep, I’ve pre-booked 7:00 for each night on Harmony in January.

5 hours ago, cb at sea said:

If you're trying to book a "popular" time, like around 7pm, you'll have to wait until your ON the ship.  They don't pre-book the most popular time.

This doesn't make any sense. With MTD, at least on my upcoming cruise you can't book anything before 6:45pm.

So you take 6:45pm and then 7pm is blocked off because it's popular?

I can pick 7pm on my upcoming cruise as well.

4 hours ago, yogimax said:

Just curious, why was it important to mention the gender of the two representatives?  It jumped off the page to me as being an unnecessary detail.

Maybe it was just to establish that they were two different people?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...