Do we take formal wear?

Familyofjust3

Hello everybody. We’re going on the Jewel of the Seas cruise over Christmas around Dubai, Oman etc and as it’s our first cruise, I have no idea what we should take. We have a 10 year old so wondering if we would go to a formal night or indeed if we need formal clothes at all. On Christmas Day it would be nice to dress up a bit but how much? Is it smart casual for dining in the evenings? Any help would be appreciated, thank you. 

• Like 1

You can dress as formally as you wish, the least dressy would be casual long pants for the guys & a collared shirt; just about anything goes for women (sundresses with a wrap, it can get cold in dining room).  You can be smart casual every night or dress up every night. Things have greatly changed attire wise on ships (likely due to airline fees)

Enjoy your first cruise!

If you enjoy dressing up (we do), do it!  Especially at Christmas, I imagine more people than usual will do so.  Regardless, we always think dressing up makes the cruise more special, whether few or a lot of others are formal or not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s all about the fabric of the outfit.

Cotton would be in my opinion casual. A dark skirt or pant with an attractive flowered or jeweled top in a festive color made of a dressier fabric would be fine.

It’s fun to see youngsters dressed up,  girls seem to enjoy, but a guy might not. Hubby could wear a jacket with a funky or dressy holiday tie. 

Going out to dinner at home depends on where home is and where you go to dinner. 

On the Jewel you will see all styles of clothing: no matter what you wear someone else will dress better or more casual.

All in all anything goes. Some will wear rhinestone jeans. Some diamonds. Wear what fits your lifestyle and what’s comfortable.

Personally I’d wear an embellished sparkling sweater with a pair of black pants, great earrings, bracelet. Don’t wear clothing with glued on glitter, it comes off.

Have a great trip! In January will be in Dubai.

Ann J

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...