MS Lofoten - last season on the coastal route

hallasm

MS Lofoten joined the Norwegian coastal route in 1964 and was heading northbound from Bergen for the first time on March 5th 1964.

In December 2020, after 55 years faithfully sailing the Norwegian coast, MS Lofoten will stop her daily service between Bergen and Kirkenes due to the new emission requirements by January 2021.

This faithful work ship has many friends and I think we should share our memories of past journeys as well as the experiences for those who will be part of her historic, final scheduled sailing season in 2020.

I'm planning a midnight sun voyage - though only 3 nights from Svolvær to Kirkenes.

IMG_0383.jpg

I'm just off a trip on board MS Lofoten (Bergen/Kirkenes/Svolvaer, got off three days ago) and she is definitely my favorite ship of the fleet. I'm gutted that she will be off the Coastal route but she is starting to be impractical. Safety regulations now dictate that watertight doors be closed during sailing on the lower decks, which makes circulation in those decks complicated (if your cabin is in the middle or lower part you have to get out on deck to get to the main public spaces). The crane loading/unloading is not adapted to the very short stops and she is constantly running late.

There is such a familial, friendly atmosphere on board though, and she sure has plenty of soul. I will be (fingers crossed) on her last voyage for Christmas 2020 and I'm sure it will be an emotional voyage.

Just a few pictures from this last trip.

fb-131019.jpg

fb-141610.jpg

fb-141618.jpg.f26f036baecf9f6b6c1ddbbff45e9504.jpg

fb-141620.jpg

fb-141496.jpg

fb-110715.jpg.5303189ff3750954a605f09c687c4522.jpg

Edited by SarniaLo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt9529 said:

Something I've wondered though and have not found a single answer is where is MS Lofoten going when she finishes sailing? What is her next destination?

We sailed on her March of this year and, if anyone knew, they weren't saying.  But she won't be taken apart.  She's "protected."  We loved her including our teeny tiny cabin which someone on CC described as looking like a prison cell 🙂

Here are some of my photos.

IMG_6904 - Edited.jpg

IMG_6880 - Edited.jpg

IMG_6838 - Edited.jpg

IMG_6833 - Edited.jpg

IMG_6772 - Edited.jpg

IMG_6755 - Edited.jpg

IMG_6740 - Edited (1).jpg

IMG_6680 - Edited.jpg

IMG_6639 - Edited.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Matt9529 said:

What is her next destination?

While new itineraries  have been published for three of the four ships leaving the coastal route by January 2021, nothing has been published for MS Lofoten yet.