UNIWORLD....GETS A BIG THUMBS UP FROM ME!

Lois R

Good morning...….I am sure the Uniworld Seine cruise was wonderful as Robin said the same thing AND she wrote

a very detailed review too.:classic_smile:  But money is a part of my researching and when I see TRIPLE the price:classic_blink:...I can

afford it but in my opinion, makes no sense.....especially if I can find a cruise on a line I like for way less money.

Glad you had a great trip! We may have to look at that for our next one. 

We comparison shopped a bit among thee top lines when booking for 2020 and Uniworld was a better buy for us with all the discounts, and it was our preference to stick with a product we knew and loved. 

Welcome home!

In the past I don't recall Uniworld discounting the cruise if you booked early AND paid in full at the time of booking, which for 2020 can mean a year or more out.  I don't like tying up thousands of dollars like that, which is one of the reasons I'll never sail Viking.  Uniworld used to offer a discount for early booking without the requirement of prepayment.

• Like 1

We got discounts for early booking and for paying ahead, as well as for the prior cruises we've taken with them. For us, it made sense, especially since the cruise we wanted (Douro on the new SS) was booking up quickly.

At the time we booked at least, they were also offering a discount for early booking without paying ahead, but it was a lower discount than we received. Not sure what they're offering right now.

Hi Lois,  I agree pricing for singles on the Paris to Normandy cruise on Uniworld seems really high. I was almost wondering if it was a mistake!  My point in the price comparison (those were per person prices based on double occupancy) above with Uniworld, Ama and Viking was just to point out that Uniworld can still be competitive, depending on the river and discounts.   More importantly, it illustrates with real numbers how it is important look at what several lines are offering.  I was leaning towards trying Ama for the Danube but with the discounts, and our satisfaction with Uniworld on previous trips, it made sense for us to go with them again.

Hi, so true:classic_biggrin: but this time around I actually have some big plans that I am looking forward to.  Doing a TA crossing

on Silversea.  16 nights from Miami to Barcelona in April.  Then a river cruise out of Lisbon on AMA on the Douro.

I looked at Uniworld for this cruise but when we were discussing prices earlier? AMA is over 4,000.00 less. That

is ALOT of money.  And it is also 3 days pre-cruise in Lisbon...will be booking this week.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AF-1 said:

wow Lois what a nice way to start retirement.  A TA crossing, then a river cruise.  Can't beat that.  Have fun next year.

Thanks so much....it is actually starting in January:classic_biggrin: going on Silversea cruise to the Caribbean to start the new year. And to be honest, there are 2 ports I have never visited (and I have sailed the Caribbean many, many times).

Then March will be my 62nd birthday and will decide about doing something for that...……..then the TA crossing.:classic_biggrin:

To all of you Uniworld fans, were you aware of the extra 3%(I think) discount you can get if youput down a deposit for your next cruise while on board?   Just a deposit for your next cruise, you don't have to be specific as to when and where it will be.

We have been on 9 Uniworld cruises and have never heard of this extra perk.  No one has ever spoken to us on board about booking the next one.  Definitely no hard sell.

The present deal is a small discount if you book before tomorrow the 31st.  I am going to wait for a better offer in the new year.  Wish me luck!

RB

27 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

To all of you Uniworld fans, were you aware of the extra 3%(I think) discount you can get if youput down a deposit for your next cruise while on board?   Just a deposit for your next cruise, you don't have to be specific as to when and where it will be.

We have been on 9 Uniworld cruises and have never heard of this extra perk.  No one has ever spoken to us on board about booking the next one.  Definitely no hard sell.

The present deal is a small discount if you book before tomorrow the 31st.  I am going to wait for a better offer in the new year.  Wish me luck!

RB

The information about this was on the last page of their Riverviews newsletter recently.

Image 10-30-19 at 7.24 PM.jpg

I think the floating deposit is something brand new. There was a benefit in the past for signing up for your next cruise while on board but I can’t remember what it was. But yes, it definitely was not heavily marketed or pushed.

The Cruise Manager told us about the 3% savings thing...…...And I was hoping to book with them again but

when I found the cruise I wanted? They are over $4000.00 more than AMA for the same itinerary. I realize Uniworld

is upscale (since I started this thread LOL) but I know I will enjoy AMA since I have sailed with them before as well.

And for me? 4 grand? I can take another cruise for that amount!

10 minutes ago, Lois R said:

The Cruise Manager told us about the 3% savings thing...…...And I was hoping to book with them again but

when I found the cruise I wanted? They are over $4000.00 more than AMA for the same itinerary. I realize Uniworld

is upscale (since I started this thread LOL) but I know I will enjoy AMA since I have sailed with them before as well.

And for me? 4 grand? I can take another cruise for that amount!

Agree completely! I was fortunate that when I shopped around, there was a special available that made sticking with Uniworld make the most sense.

2 hours ago, Ritabob said:

RB

This was just posted by Host Jazzbeau a few days ago. 

Robin

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Thanks so much....it is actually starting in January:classic_biggrin: going on Silversea cruise to the Caribbean to start the new year. And to be honest, there are 2 ports I have never visited (and I have sailed the Caribbean many, many times).

Then March will be my 62nd birthday and will decide about doing something for that...……..then the TA crossing.:classic_biggrin:

Which two ports will be new to you?

20 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Which two ports will be new to you?

One port is Belize...….in all my years of Caribbean cruising, I have never been there.

And Saint Thomas---Guatemala. Never been there either.

I was in Belize in Feb. Did not get to see much of the island.  You have to tender quite far from the port. Because of the barrier reef; they don't allow any ship to anchor close to the port. Tender ride was about 25 min.  We were signed up for a snorkling tour; but it was cancelled due to high seas and winds. 

16 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I was in Belize in Feb. Did not get to see much of the island.  You have to tender quite far from the port. Because of the barrier reef; they don't allow any ship to anchor close to the port. Tender ride was about 25 min.  We were signed up for a snorkling tour; but it was cancelled due to high seas and winds. 

Not sure what I am going to do...…..but thanks for the tender tip.:classic_smile:

I would love to see the Blue Hole of Belize, but since DW and I don't snorkle I'm not sure how this would be feasible.  Helicopter maybe?  [Nah, she doesn't do those either – except in Hawaii and Victoria Falls, but each time she says 'never again.']