MDR lunch?

AndyMichelle

Seems to me that there is a bit of snobbery going on here regarding burgers. An excellent piece of beef,  freshly minced,  well seasoned, cooked pink, served in a freshly baked bun, with triple fried chips is a wondrous thing!

Unfortunately,  you won't get anything like that on P&O,  or indeed most other cruise lines. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Seems to me that there is a bit of snobbery going on here regarding burgers. An excellent piece of beef,  freshly minced,  well seasoned, cooked pink, served in a freshly baked bun, with triple fried chips is a wondrous thing!

Unfortunately,  you won't get anything like that on P&O,  or indeed most other cruise lines. 

That I’d agree with. It’s not the burgers per se - it’s what’s being served generally and the Type 2 diabetes that can so easily follow.

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Burgers and hot dogs? Is that really what people are eating onboard P&O these days?

How things have changed. Just one of the reasons we like the MDR. Civilised restaurant with civilised food.

No wonder there's such a major problem with diabetes in the UK now if burgers and hot dogs have replaced healthier food and added to serious obesity problems. 

I agree with you.  Don't touch either burgers or hot dogs.  Just returned from 17 night cruise.  Exactly the same weight as when I left home.  I always think I will gain some, as unlike at home, I eat 3 meals a day, but nope, never do.  Love the fish dishes, love the salads, not keen on dessert which is a blessing.

53 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Even so, if you eat that every day for lunch and then have a 4 course meal in the evening, that's not good.

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

That I’d agree with. It’s not the burgers per se - it’s what’s being served generally and the Type 2 diabetes that can so easily follow.

It's all around us Harry. 

Obesity is a major issue in society, you can't blame P&O for that one😊

Andy 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

It's all around us Harry. 

Obesity is a major issue in society, you can't blame P&O for that one😊

Andy 

I can blame the people who won’t make any effort to control their overeating though, encouraged by food outlets. The Diabetes epidemic is wrecking the NHS.

On this cruise last week, I saw quite a few extrremely large people.  When I saw what they consumed for breakfast I knew why.  It was overeating on a very grand scale.  It's an addiction.  I do wonder how on earth they get in the shower and also what effect it has on the mattresses??

4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Totally agree about the burgers and hot dogs I find them inedible. Really surprised some passengers enjoy them? 

They are cooked too early and kept too hot so the base of the bun is rock hard. 

Yes, they are still wrapped in paper. 

Grab and go is OK, but I prefer hot food. 

Andy 

Andy, you can always ask the lido chef for a freshly cooked burger or hot dog, and I guess if enough passengers did the system would likely be changed.

33 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I can blame the people who won’t make any effort to control their overeating though, encouraged by food outlets. The Diabetes epidemic is wrecking the NHS.

Totally agree Harry. 

I love my food and I do over eat, often rubbish, but I monitor it enough to not let it affect my health. 

It's about getting a balance, I always have salad in my burger😊

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Back to topic.

As someone who has cruised with P&O for some time, I have definately seen marked changes in eating and associated behaviour patterns over the years. When I first sailed with them, lunch was served for a very limited time in both mdr and buffet; something like noon until 2 pm. Both then opened for afternoon tea at 4pm. Many passsengers tended to rush ashore as soon as the ship docked, then return for lunch. Never miss a free meal! Nowadays food of some kind is available all day, and passenger behaviour reflects this. People tend to go ashore and return later, in the knowledge that they will be able to get something on their return. Often they do not return until after lunch service in the mdr has finished, inevitably resulting in a lower uptake.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Back to topic.

As someone who has cruised with P&O for some time, I have definately seen marked changes in eating and associated behaviour patterns over the years. When I first sailed with them, lunch was served for a very limited time in both mdr and buffet; something like noon until 2 pm. Both then opened for afternoon tea at 4pm. Many passsengers tended to rush ashore as soon as the ship docked, then return for lunch. Never miss a free meal! Nowadays food of some kind is available all day, and passenger behaviour reflects this. People tend to go ashore and return later, in the knowledge that they will be able to get something on their return. Often they do not return until after lunch service in the mdr has finished, inevitably resulting in a lower uptake.

Fair points, but the mdr on Aurora was fairly empty every day, even sea days. 

This may be a reflection in the change in passengers eating habits, or solely down to the selection. 

That's why I started this thread, to see how people felt about the mdr currently and not to fan the flames of an unfounded rumour. 

Thank you for bringing us back on topic. 

Andy 

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Try Seabourn.  Ground fillet steak 

I’m embarrassed to say that I’m one of those people who didn’t even realise that lunch was available in the mdr. I’ve only got one cruise under my belt so far so is that an excuse? Probably not, but even worse than that I didn’t realise that breakfast was served there either until the second last day 😳. Okay, I’ll take the blame but I do feel P&O could do a better job with communication.

Les.

• Like 1

Ha ha, you and me both!  i have done a lot of cruises with P&O and I have never even considered the MDR for breakfast or Lunch!  I also am a Caribbean member who doesn't go to the Caribbean lunch, because frankly I don't want all that at lunchtime, neither do I want alcohol at that time of day.

20 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

I’m embarrassed to say that I’m one of those people who didn’t even realise that lunch was available in the mdr. I’ve only got one cruise under my belt so far so is that an excuse? Probably not, but even worse than that I didn’t realise that breakfast was served there either until the second last day 😳. Okay, I’ll take the blame but I do feel P&O could do a better job with communication.

Les.

Les it is in the Horizon evrry day of your cruise. How much more do you want?

🙂

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

Les.

You cannot get better than the Daily Programme delivered to every cabin every night where it tells you on the back page of opening times of all restaurants and bars. Unfortunately many dont read it and then moan about missing something in the programme.

That is if you are in the least interested in that sort of lunch.  We just like to take our plates of salad and other little bits outside.  I imagine that's why we have never noticed we could have a sit down lunch in the MDR>  Just no interest.

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

There are alternatives to the MDR and Buffet on Aurora as well, not been on Arcadia or Oceana recently but I assume they, like Aurora, have a lido grill with Pizzas, Burgers, hot dogs etc as well as the grab & go option, if P&O could be persuaded to offer a pub grub option in one of the other bars that would round it off nicely, however I suspect it may reduce the lunchtime trade in the paid for options, so perhaps that would not be in their interests.

There is the Horizon Grill on Oceana which offers poolside dining. They offer burgers, chips and pizzas. The Horizon Grill becomes the Beach House at night.

19 minutes ago, daiB said:

Les it is in the Horizon evrry day of your cruise. How much more do you want?

🙂

Are you supposed to read that? 🤣🤣

Seriously, I’ve never seen it, not that I’m doubting you, I must’ve been more interested in the activities. As I said, I’m quite happy to take the blame. At least I’ll know better on my next cruise in June 😁

40 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

Les.

You are not alone Les, lots of passengers miss out on so much. 

It took plenty of cruises before we found out hot chocolate is served in the late night buffet and we often miss the chocolate thingy they do. Oh and we always want to do the galley tour but  find out too late. 

And I thought I read Horizon religiously.. 

Andy 

• Like 1

You’ve really upset me now Andy. You’re trying to tell me I could’ve had hot chocolate? What time does the late night buffet start? I won’t be missing that one again.

Note to self - read the Horizon newsletter from cover to cover every day! 😂 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

Are you supposed to read that? 🤣🤣

Seriously, I’ve never seen it, not that I’m doubting you, I must’ve been more interested in the activities. As I said, I’m quite happy to take the blame. At least I’ll know better on my next cruise in June 😁

Every bar and retaurant listed with opening times .... every day.