MDR lunch?

AndyMichelle

13 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

You’ve really upset me now Andy. You’re trying to tell me I could’ve had hot chocolate? What time does the late night buffet start? I won’t be missing that one again.

Note to self - read the Horizon newsletter from cover to cover every day! 😂 

Evening buffet from about 10.30 I think. 

We take a hot chocolate and a few digestives (stolen from the cheese and biscuit counter) back to the cabin. 

Perfect way to end the evening. 

Andy 

Just now, AndyMichelle said:

Evening buffet from about 10.30 I think. 

We take a hot chocolate and a few digestives (stolen from the cheese and biscuit counter) back to the cabin. 

Perfect way to end the evening. 

Andy 

Sounds like a plan 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I can blame the people who won’t make any effort to control their overeating though, encouraged by food outlets. The Diabetes epidemic is wrecking the NHS.

I don’t agree. Some people can’t actually control what they eat, ask any bariatric surgeon and they will tell you that.

Too much ghrelin and too little leptin is not a matter of “making an effort” it is a matter of biology. It’s easy for those who have normal hormone levels to control what they eat and also too easy for them to make inaccurate assumptions about others.

Some people just overeat because they choose to but there are others who actually feel hungry regardless of what they eat. The “eat less move more” brigade have been overtaken by scientific fact. You can’t tell by looking at anyone which category they are in.

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

On this cruise last week, I saw quite a few extrremely large people.  When I saw what they consumed for breakfast I knew why.  It was overeating on a very grand scale.  It's an addiction.  I do wonder how on earth they get in the shower and also what effect it has on the mattresses??

And were they harming you in any way?

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I don’t agree. Some people can’t actually control what they eat, ask any bariatric surgeon and they will tell you that.

Too much ghrelin and too little leptin is not a matter of “making an effort” it is a matter of biology. It’s easy for those who have normal hormone levels to control what they eat and also too easy for them to make inaccurate assumptions about others.

Some people just overeat because they choose to but there are others who actually feel hungry regardless of what they eat. The “eat less move more” brigade have been overtaken by scientific fact. You can’t tell by looking at anyone which category they are in.

I suffer from an over active, erm, what's it called again... I've got it..  Over active knife and fork 😊

We don't know people's medical history and shouldn't mock, but a lot don't help themselves. 

Andy 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I suffer from an over active, erm, what's it called again... I've got it..  Over active knife and fork 😊

We don't know people's medical history and shouldn't mock, but a lot don't help themselves. 

Andy 

I have the knife and fork syndrome myself on occasion, particularly on a cruise ship 😀

Personally I don’t have any medical excuse for gaining a few pounds on a cruise but some people do have real issues which are not helped by judgemental onlookers.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

The harm that's being done,  apart from the obvious harm to the people themselves, is to the NHS.  I don't buy all this stuff about not being able to control it. There's no real evidence to support that theory. 

A few recent hospital visits have opened my eyes to the full extent of this. What amazed me was Type 2 Diabetes cases making no effort whatever,  even in hospital,  to eat sensibly. And comments that once they got out they were going straight back to the old ways and the NHS could just sort it out next time in.

The sheer gluttony displayed in the buffet is horrendous,  and the size of the culprits equally horrendous.  That would be fine, except that their selfishness and greed is wrecking the NHS for everybody else. The financial impact is just staggering. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The harm that's being done,  apart from the obvious harm to the people themselves, is to the NHS.  I don't buy all this stuff about not being able to control it. There's no real evidence to support that theory. 

A few recent hospital visits have opened my eyes to the full extent of this. What amazed me was Type 2 Diabetes cases making no effort whatever,  even in hospital,  to eat sensibly. And comments that once they got out they were going straight back to the old ways and the NHS could just sort it out next time in.

The sheer gluttony displayed in the buffet is horrendous,  and the size of the culprits equally horrendous.  That would be fine, except that their selfishness and greed is wrecking the NHS for everybody else. The financial impact is just staggering. 

There is evidence. You are just not aware of it, as I said ask a bariatric surgeon.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

There is evidence. You are just not aware of it, as I said ask a bariatric surgeon.

A bariatric surgeon is hardly likely to advertise that all his patients are gluttons and they would not need him if they exercised some restraint.  That would not really be very good PR now would it?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

A bariatric surgeon is hardly likely to advertise that all his patients are gluttons and they would not need him if they exercised some restraint.  That would not really be very good PR now would it?

No “PR” required, one of the longest waiting lists on the NHS apparently - they don’t need to advertise. And I believe like most doctors and surgeons they will be honest with patients and will tell those who just need to diet to get on and do it, but they will also check hormone levels etc. No different from for example under active thyroid and weight.

The point I was making is that not all fat people are gluttons, and even those who do eat too much are not harming anyone else on the ship (unlike rowdy drunks for example). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, berlingo said:

I do agree with you on both points.

A lot of new cruisers unfortunately do not understand their dining options. 

P&O should do much more to provide this and other basic information. I am sure it would improve the passenger experience and satisfaction at very little cost.

Plus as you mentioned a little publicity about MDR lunch placed in the Horizon could really help. After all P&O provide few income generating lunch options which this would impede and overcrowding in the buffet is a perennial complaint.

Juliax

The MDR operating hours are noted in the daily info what more advertising is needed. The hours are also posted outside the mdr with the menu.  

• Like 1

I read the Horizon newspaper religiously but on my first cruise I didn’t realise I could use the MDR for lunch - I thought it was for the Club diners as I was Freedom!

i don’t want a heavy lunch though after a bigger breakfast and dinner than usual.

i like a salad from the buffet for lunch or on a sea day use the Glasshouse to avoid the ‘scrum’!

14 hours ago, Les_ldh said:

I’m embarrassed to say that I’m one of those people who didn’t even realise that lunch was available in the mdr. I’ve only got one cruise under my belt so far so is that an excuse? Probably not, but even worse than that I didn’t realise that breakfast was served there either until the second last day 😳. Okay, I’ll take the blame but I do feel P&O could do a better job with communication.

Les.

The times are listed in Horizon every day. As they occasionally vary, it's always one of the first things I check.

Edited by jh1809

I have had many people on P&O over the years about missing out on certain things onboard and have said they were going to complain because they werent told. When I said dont you receive the Horizon in your cabin at night they have openly admitted that they dont read that. What do they expect and when I have told them they have gone a bit red faced.

11 hours ago, Clipper Chick said:

The MDR operating hours are noted in the daily info what more advertising is needed. The hours are also posted outside the mdr with the menu.  

1 hour ago, jh1809 said:

The times are listed in Horizon every day. As they occasionally vary, it's always one of the first things I check.

As I said in a post earlier in this thread, yes they may be advertised in the Horizon but the problem is lots of people think they have to stick to their allocated dining room, they don’t realise it is only for their evening meal, this isn’t made clear. So if the Horizon says lunch ( or breakfast or afternoon tea) is in Cinnamon and they are allocated Bay Tree they think they can’t go.  P & O and many other lines should make it clear the allocated dining is for evening meal only.

The other thing I think people misunderstand is afternoon tea, they think they have to use the buffet or pay for the £15 ( is that the amount) one. Mainly because of social media posts going on about the paid afternoon tea, I even think lots of the people that post these pictures don’t realise they could have had a free waiter service tea in the MDR

17 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Ha ha, you and me both!  i have done a lot of cruises with P&O and I have never even considered the MDR for breakfast or Lunch!  I also am a Caribbean member who doesn't go to the Caribbean lunch, because frankly I don't want all that at lunchtime, neither do I want alcohol at that time of day.

Breakfast is so much nicer in the mdr Jean - and you can have as little or as much as you want.  The only time I use the buffet for breakfast is when I have to be off reasonably early for a tour (sorry but I refuse to call it an "experience" 😁).  I do also sometimes have the in-cabin continental breakfast if on a tour.

14 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

No “PR” required, one of the longest waiting lists on the NHS apparently - they don’t need to advertise. And I believe like most doctors and surgeons they will be honest with patients and will tell those who just need to diet to get on and do it, but they will also check hormone levels etc. No different from for example under active thyroid and weight.

The point I was making is that not all fat people are gluttons, and even those who do eat too much are not harming anyone else on the ship (unlike rowdy drunks for example). 

They do check hormone levels etc and they also try to help people who are grossly overweight with dietary advice, bariatric surgery is a last resort because like any surgery it carries risks.  A bariatric surgeon who we know personally told us that a high majority of his patients are over eaters rather than having imbalances that are causing their problems.  They do resort to surgery because in some cases these people are eating themselves to death and the NHS burden of side effects such as heart disease and diabetes is an even bigger burden.

We all need to remember 'There but for the grace of God go I'.

Just now, Josy1953 said:

They do check hormone levels etc and they also try to help people who are grossly overweight with dietary advice, bariatric surgery is a last resort because like any surgery it carries risks.  A bariatric surgeon who we know personally told us that a high majority of his patients are over eaters rather than having imbalances that are causing their problems.  They do resort to surgery because in some cases these people are eating themselves to death and the NHS burden of side effects such as heart disease and diabetes is an even bigger burden.

We all need to remember 'There but for the grace of God go I'.

yes Josy, I agree.  When I mentioned "extremely large", I really meant it.  They could hardly walk normally.  In answer to someone above, no, it didn't affect me, I just find it difficult to believe that someone can actually get to that size.  It is an addiction like any other.

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Nope, tried breakfast once in there.  Love having my breakfast in the open air at the stern, same for lunch.

I would agree with you completely with what you say when on a warm cruise. Nothing better than sitting at the aft end in the sunshine. But when the weather is cold or inclement the MDR is much better than the scrum upstairs.

I love it that we all think differently tho,,,,,,

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I would agree with you completely with what you say when on a warm cruise. Nothing better than sitting at the aft end in the sunshine. But when the weather is cold or inclement the MDR is much better than the scrum upstairs.

I love it that we all think differently tho,,,,,,

Wouldn’t do to all be the same would it?

We don’t do sitting in the sun. Never sit out on the deck, we used to get balcony cabins when we first started cruising but after about 10 cruises we thought let’s try inside as we never use the balcony and hey no problem so normally get inside now. Although we have got 1 balcony cruise booked (Iona- Fjords) and one outside.