New York terminal

Ferndale Girl

Both times we were on Princess it was the Brooklyn/Red Hook terminal not the Manhattan one.   you could go to the local ship terminal site and view their calendar for each dock and see what it says.  But I believe if it is princess they use Brooklyn most the time. 

4 hours ago, skynight said:

Are you embarking or disembarking then it's Red Hook Brooklyn. Check the schedule in post #4.

It is just a stop - cruise starts in Ft Lauderdale and ends in Quebec City.  It isn't until next July and the schedule only goes through 2019 so I'll have to check at the beginning of the year.

23 hours ago, Ferndale Girl said:

How do you find out which terminal a cruise ship will stop at in New York?  It only says New York.  

I may be wrong, but I think if a Princess ship is doing a port visit at NY, it will dock at the terminal on the west side of Manhattan as it's more convenient for city sightseeing.  Otherwise, ships that start and or end their cruises in "NY" use the Brooklyn Terminal, probably because it's closer to 2 of the 3 airline terminals than the Manhattan dock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

I may be wrong, but I think if a Princess ship is doing a port visit at NY, it will dock at the terminal on the west side of Manhattan as it's more convenient for city sightseeing.  Otherwise, ships that start and or end their cruises in "NY" use the Brooklyn Terminal, probably because it's closer to 2 of the 3 airline terminals than the Manhattan dock.

I heard this before about Brooklyn only being used for starting or ending a cruise and Manhattan when it is a Port of Call.  I decided to check the theory out on https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/  On November 2, 2019 CB is making a Port of Call stop in NY on a Quebec to Ft Lauderdale cruise.  According to that website, CB will dock in Brooklyn.

9 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I heard this before about Brooklyn only being used for starting or ending a cruise and Manhattan when it is a Port of Call.  I decided to check the theory out on https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/  On November 2, 2019 CB is making a Port of Call stop in NY on a Quebec to Ft Lauderdale cruise.  According to that website, CB will dock in Brooklyn.

Thanks for the investigative work!!!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jasbo49 said:

Sounds to me like two cruises sold as one. In other words I think people will be embarking and disembarking, so I'd plan on Brooklyn. 

Jim

Doubtful there will be embarking in New York as the cruise is not being sold that way, but definitely no disembarking. Disembarking would be a violation U.S. law.

19 minutes ago, skynight said:

Doubtful there will be embarking in New York as the cruise is not being sold that way, but definitely no disembarking. Disembarking would be a violation U.S. law.

My mistake. I was assuming this was a 2-step repositioning cruise (FLL to NY via random Caribbean islands, then NYC to Quebec). Not the case, I see.

Jim

I believe the size of the ship determines whether she will dock in Red Hook or Manhattan.

If the ship is too big (long), she can't dock in Manhattan without special permission because doing so causes the ship to extend too far into the Hudson ship channel. (I also think it's more complicated and they may require tugs to do so). 

Because the Manhattan terminal is so much more convenient for passengers (at least for access to Manhattan hotels and sights) - it's preferred by lines. So Princess, like her sister line Cunard, uses Manhattan for the ships that can dock there, but uses Red Hook when necessary for the biggest ships. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 8:57 AM, Ferndale Girl said:

How do you find out which terminal a cruise ship will stop at in New York?  It only says New York.  

Always the Brooklyn/Red Hook terminal. I think there is bridge that doesn’t allow Princess to cruise under.

When I was on Oceania Insignia recently, we docked at the Manhattan port for a day stop as well as to embark and disembark. A large NCL ship was next to us. We were told that NCL, which also includes Oceania and Regent, gets to dock there most of the time but that Princess and Cunard have to use Brooklyn. I loved docking in Manhattan (just a 5 block walk to midtown Manhattan!) and am sad that my next cruise this week on the Regal will have a port day and embark/disembark in Brooklyn...more complicated to sightsee and limits the time available to do it.

NYC is both Cruise Portys.

FEES as well Taxes NYC in Both Cruise Terminals have , IMHO, gotten Greedy. Even in the Parking Rates, now thats Highway Robbery..

Asking your Professional  ASTA Travel Agent who you booked with and created those important jobs is the best method to find the DATA. Most of them have a TOLL FREE Line too.

Ask and ye shall recieve./\

Information for the OP. If the pier is Brooklyn one fairly easy way to get to Manhattan is via the Wall St. Ferry. The ferry is literally steps away from the ship's dock. Purchase ferry tickets in advance on line. There is only one ticket vending machine at the dock and the line can be long. From the Wall St. area you can walk to downtown locations. You can also take a bus or subway to mid town.

12 hours ago, Kamloops50 said:

Always the Brooklyn/Red Hook terminal. I think there is bridge that doesn’t allow Princess to cruise under.

There are a number of bridges across the Hudson between Manhattan and NJ including one just about 1/2 mile from the tip.  A few months ago a lady who was doing the Can-NE itinerary (and incl Greenland, I believe) on the CB this fall started a thread on here as she wasn't familiar with NYC and where the piers were etc.  My great aunt sailed out of those piers back in the 20's and 30's on a number of cruises going to the Caribbean and to Europe.  In reading her account of the cruise to the Caribbean, she noted a number of seasick fellow pax (this was way before stabilizers) and also mentioned the tables in the dining room had railings around the edges to keep the dishes from crashing to the floor <g>.  

P.S. Just read caribill's post and he says there is no such bridge.

Edited by BarbinMich