Vista Deck 8 blank space back middle

cynt

Does anyone know what this blank space is on deck 8 on the Vista?  I'm looking to book a balcony cabin across from this space and want to make sure I'm not going to regret it. I'm thinking maybe it's the kitchen.  Thanks. 

O and I tried searching and couldn't find anything. 

Capture.JPG

The "kitchen" is actually called the galley and it is on deck 3, the same deck as the dining room.  The Lido deck galley is on deck 10.  The space is probably cabin steward storage, a crew only stairwell or a laundromat and it shouldn't have any effect on your cabin.

Edited by Garth2

It's probably a combination of crew storage, stairs, work area, etc, and a bit of exhaust pipes from the engine room up to the whale tail.  There's some amount of 'empty space' on every deck in about that space, some are partly galley, etc.

17 minutes ago, cathyz said:

It's probably a combination of crew storage, stairs, work area, etc, and a bit of exhaust pipes from the engine room up to the whale tail.  There's some amount of 'empty space' on every deck in about that space, some are partly galley, etc.

This is the most likely explanation - a raceway for the exhaust from the diesel engines for the generators.

There are some very useful websites out there that offer good deck plans that are more detailed than Carnival’s own. One that I use often (CC won’t allow it to be linked to on here) even warns of noise coming from public and crew areas above/below certain cabins. But I haven’t seen any that can offer a more detailed explanation of some of these “gray” areas. I understand a majority of the public aren’t privy to the inner workings of these ships, but this is the internet. It’d be great if these sites could collect more info. on those areas. It would help out a lot when looking at cabins.

I don't book a cabin that is around any dead space because on the few times that I did it ended up being where the vacuum and other cleaning supplies are kept and especially where the ice cube maker is kept as the crew goes into this area a lot and in the morning its loud... anyways to each his own... that's just my opinion

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Garth2 said:

It's a ship, not a boat.

👀  👀  👀

It's perfectly acceptable to call any sailing vessel a BOAT as casual slang.  I've worked in cargo shipping for nearly 40 years and we casually call the steamship vessels "boats" all the time.

IF you want to get really technical, a ship can carry a boat but a boat can't carry a ship.

1 hour ago, LibratPDX said:

👀  👀  👀

It's perfectly acceptable to call any sailing vessel a BOAT as casual slang.  I've worked in cargo shipping for nearly 40 years and we casually call the steamship vessels "boats" all the time.

IF you want to get really technical, a ship can carry a boat but a boat can't carry a ship.

And I've worked on ships for over 40 years, and have never called a ship a boat.  And I don't know anyone in the industry that does.  YMMV.

Edited by chengkp75

19 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And I've worked on ships for over 40 years, and have never called a ship a boat.  And I don't know anyone in the industry that does.  YMMV.

YMMV indeed, maybe we're just more casual on the "left" coast?  It's mostly verbal, in official documentation it's always a ship or vessel or even ocean carrier.  

Edited by LibratPDX

Our first Carnival cruise was on the Fantasy with a similar gray space on the deck plans.  It turned out to be some sort of pantry/storage and there was a door that slammed incessantly all night, every night.  Guest Services said we were not hearing it - but we absolutely were.  That was such an awful cruise that, initially, I wasn't sure I would ever cruise again.  So glad we tried again!

9 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Strangely enough, in the submarine service we referred to our vessels as "boats" - even when displacing over 6,200 tons.  It was an odd holdover from the early days I guess.

Isn't the distinction somewhere along the lines that a boat can be hoisted and carried aboard a ship?

I agree with SmileEH.  I was just reading some threads on here a earlier this morning, in a thread titled "what rooms not to book"(for all cruise lines not just carnival)  and a person mentioned the Conquest with a similar looking space to what you're looking at, and they said it was a terrible room.  Lots of noise, commotion, etc.  Perhaps it might be a similar to the ship you're looking at. Beware.  

I booked 8292 on the Freedom a number of years ago, balcony, and it there was an empty space above my room.  Had no problems at all until the last night coming home, when there was a loud slamming and banging noise that went on for hours!!  Turns out that empty space (that looked like maybe it was the stairs), was a boiler room.  I was up all night, was awful.  It didn't only affect me, the people in my vicinity heard it too, we were all out in the hall congregating in our pj's at 3am.  🙄After that experience I never just "keep fingers crossed" with blank spaces near my room.

48 minutes ago, mistshar said:

I saw on one deck plan that it said that space was the IMAX.  I don't know if that is right or not but that is what it said.

The IMAX is farther forward than the space the OP is referring to, and IMAX is labelled on the deck plans I've seen. Hard to see, but IMAX is the square about a third of the way down.

deck8b.gif

Edited by Organized Chaos

On 10/24/2019 at 8:55 PM, DryCreek said:

Strangely enough, in the submarine service we referred to our vessels as "boats" - even when displacing over 6,200 tons.  It was an odd holdover from the early days I guess.

Isn't the distinction somewhere along the lines that a boat can be hoisted and carried aboard a ship?

A boat leans INTO a turn. A ship leans OUT in a turn. So a submarine is a boat.