CoCo menus?

MaryAnn261

Go to the Shack (not sure of exact name), get the chicken sandwich and add some mozzarella sticks & marinara on top... sounds ridiculous but trust me it's incredible!  Also tried a good little cuban sandwich from the buffet.  Certainly not the best I've had, but for a place like Coco Cay it was really good.

21 hours ago, acpalmer said:

I assume their menus are fairly accurate, but it made me laugh.  Carnitas is pork by definition, so no, they don't have "steak carnitas" or "chicken carnitas".  No fault of the poster--I'm assuming it's not his/her menu.

I laughed too.  That being said... loved to see actual pics of the foods I probably won't be able to eat due to my food allergy.  I am an allergic foodie so... fun times.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LESLIEKURZ said:

I laughed too.  That being said... loved to see actual pics of the foods I probably won't be able to eat due to my food allergy.  I am an allergic foodie so... fun times.  

I agree--I always appreciate being able to see pictures of the actual foods.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

I looked at the video on this link.  Where will people at South Beach go for free food?  It doesn’t look like anything is nearby.

There was nothing over there before the big remodel.  You had to trek back to the front.  That being said, I think that area is currently under construction so maybe they're working on changing that.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2019 at 1:39 PM, LESLIEKURZ said:

My 11 yr old grand daughter has many food allergies as well.  This is her first cruise.  Should we call ahead to find out the ingredients of the foods/meals or do it on a case by case basis at each meal?  

22 hours ago, itsanita said:

My 11 yr old grand daughter has many food allergies as well.  This is her first cruise.  Should we call ahead to find out the ingredients of the foods/meals or do it on a case by case basis at each meal?  

First fill out the special needs form and send an email.  For dinner, you'll let your head waiter know on night 1 and will probably not get a great meal that night. That being said, they will thereafter give you the next evening's dinner menu the night before and allow her to pre-select what she would like each day.  If you have a good relationship with your MDR staff, they can often give you guidance as far as other food venues are concerned. For example, my head waiter talked to the workers preparing the Cococay buffet and was able to let me know in advance what would be safe. I have, in the past, reached out to RCCL in advance to find out if particular items would be safe for me like tge sauce on Sorento's pizza or the famous roast beef sandwich, but I have come to find that recipes and preparations vary by ship and even by the staff member preparing them.  As far as the Windjammer is concerned, depending on the severity of the allergy, I would be very hesitant to eat there. The cross-contamination is rampant. If you want the allergy person in your party to still be able to dine with you in that venue, but not eat from the buffet, the staff is usually pretty good about procuring something plated and safe. I would suggest that you set that up in advance though.  Especially if you are planning to eat at peak times. Like maybe go at the end of breakfast to see if they can have chicken fingers available for you around noon. Hopefully this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to reach out again if you have any additional questions or concerns. I think, with some work, you will find RCCL to be a  really good vacay for someone with a severe allergy.

18 hours ago, LESLIEKURZ said:

First fill out the special needs form and send an email.  For dinner, you'll let your head waiter know on night 1 and will probably not get a great meal that night. That being said, they will thereafter give you the next evening's dinner menu the night before and allow her to pre-select what she would like each day.  If you have a good relationship with your MDR staff, they can often give you guidance as far as other food venues are concerned. For example, my head waiter talked to the workers preparing the Cococay buffet and was able to let me know in advance what would be safe. I have, in the past, reached out to RCCL in advance to find out if particular items would be safe for me like tge sauce on Sorento's pizza or the famous roast beef sandwich, but I have come to find that recipes and preparations vary by ship and even by the staff member preparing them.  As far as the Windjammer is concerned, depending on the severity of the allergy, I would be very hesitant to eat there. The cross-contamination is rampant. If you want the allergy person in your party to still be able to dine with you in that venue, but not eat from the buffet, the staff is usually pretty good about procuring something plated and safe. I would suggest that you set that up in advance though.  Especially if you are planning to eat at peak times. Like maybe go at the end of breakfast to see if they can have chicken fingers available for you around noon. Hopefully this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to reach out again if you have any additional questions or concerns. I think, with some work, you will find RCCL to be a  really good vacay for someone with a severe allergy.

thanks   this helps!

• 1 month later...

I want to second the other poster's kudos for the RCCL main dining room staff. A couple of weeks ago we were on Mariner of the Seas with three out of 4 at our table having dietary restrictions ranging from celiac disease to a "low residue diet" for diverticulitis, to a child with Aspergers and extremely narrow food tastes. The Head Waiter and our waiter and assistant waiter were extremely accommodating and super helpful. I have cruised a lot and they were the most compassionate staff ever!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2019 at 1:24 PM, acpalmer said:

I assume their menus are fairly accurate, but it made me laugh.  Carnitas is pork by definition, so no, they don't have "steak carnitas" or "chicken carnitas".  No fault of the poster--I'm assuming it's not his/her menu.

Actually, "by definition: carnitas means "little meats".  So you could have any type of meat, which is why they list it this way.  I think what you mean is that traditionally, it is made from pork.  But there are many places that advertise chicken and steak carnitas, not just on Coco Cay.

Edited by JLDMED

On 11/3/2019 at 11:51 AM, MississippiMom said:

I looked at the video on this link.  Where will people at South Beach go for free food?  It doesn’t look like anything is nearby.

The Beach Club will have its own upgraded buffet with seafood, which is part of the price for the Beach Club ticket.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 7:02 PM, brillohead said:

The Beach Club will have its own upgraded buffet with seafood, which is part of the price for the Beach Club ticket.

Those using South Beach will not have access to the food offerings at the  Beach Club unless they've paid for the privilege.

Edited by sippican

2 hours ago, sippican said:

Those using South Beach will not have access to the food offerings at the  Beach Club unless they've paid for the privilege.

I thought that's what I said -- that the Beach Club ticket included the Beach Club food?

Edited by brillohead

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

I thought that's what I said -- that the Beach Club ticket included the Beach Club food?

I think we're talking in circles, lol!

MississippiMom asked where the people on South Beach (which is free) go for free food, and I understood your post as a reply mentioning the Beach Club. So where do those using South Beach go for food?