Port of Miami parking

Poppy42

If you search you will find several threads on Miami parking - some will say they saved money and had no issues; many others will complain about lost deposits/reservations, vandalized cars, no show shuttles, etc.  All of the locals on this board will suggest parking at POM - covered, convenient and secure but costs $22/day.

Some hotels out near the MIA airport offer cruise parking deals with a night's stay, but none will transport you back from the port to your car so include #0+ in your budget for a cab (or about $20 for an Uber or Lyft).

It's your car - do you feel lucky? 🙄

11 minutes ago, poss said:

I wonder how safe the luggage is that one hands to the porter to somehow find its way to the ship? Also I wonder what an appropriate tip is for that kind of porter service.

Thanks.

Very safe. We tip $5 for the 2 bags we hand to the porter.

I agree with the recommendations to park shipside.

ISSUE – There seems to be a process whereby someone with a van(s) secure parking spaces in public garages and lots around the city. Then they rent those spaces to airport or cruise passengers. You call the shuttle upon arrival then they show up after some time!  Unfortunately these agreements seem to perish after a while and clients are moved to different lots than advertised.

However, if you are looking to save a bit of many, there are 3 offsite lots that appear to have stability in their operations (not moving locations, changing names, etc). You still have to deal with their free shuttle services. Those can be erratic according to reviews.

Rates for a 7-night cruise accurate when I last checked but PLEASE check for your dates!

Safe Cruise Parking – The area looks very shady but the open surface lot has high walls and is gated. $88

Premier Cruise Parking – A nice area. In the MET3 parking garage (Whole Foods). $90

Miami Port Parking – A parking garage in an OK area. $105

Edited by SteerageJoe

Hmmmm? 😕 I'm all for saving $50-60 bucks on parking, but being able to grab your bags, walk 100 yards to the parking garage, and be on the road before the parking shuttle has picked anyone up is also appealing.  OP it is your call!

Thanks for all the responses.  Think I'll bite the bullet and go for parking at the port - new car.  We've gotten spoiled - one of our daughters lives 20 minutes from Port Canaveral - she drops us off - free parking at her house.

1 minute ago, Poppy42 said:

Thanks for all the responses.  Think I'll bite the bullet and go for parking at the port - new car.  We've gotten spoiled - one of our daughters lives 20 minutes from Port Canaveral - she drops us off - free parking at her house.

Please come back post cruise and let us know how it all worked out.

Have a great cruise! 😎

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, chong67 said:

Anyone had any experience parking at Premier Cruise Parking in Miami?

I would Google....Premier Cruise Parking and check the reviews before you use them...

In Miami I personally would never park anywhere but the port 

Edited by GTO-Girl

I have been a member of Cruise Critic since 2002. I have read too many sad stories of damaged vehicles, horrible shuttle service, and one incident where a homeless man was found sleeping in a broken into vehicle while parked at an off site Miami location. If you value your vehicle, want to find it in the same condition you left it prior to your cruise suck it up and pay twenty two dollars a day for peace of mind. If you don’t mind some aggravation leave your vehicle at an off site Miami location. The Port Of Miami parking garages are safe, secure, and only a short walk to the terminals. There are plenty of safe locations for off site parking in Port Everglades, Port Canaveral, Jacksonville, and Tampa but unfortunately none in Miami. As another Cruise Critic poster always says, Do you feel lucky!

The reason parking in Port Miami off property sucks is because no one can make money charging less than what the port charges parking in a good and close area to the port. Land in Miami is expensive (unlike say Jacksonville or Tampa) so large port parking lots are not that close to the port and not in the best areas. 

However, for example Premier Parking seems to have a lot in Downtown Miami in garage that is plenty safe. Assuming your car stays there there is absolutely nothing wrong with that garage. But how much are you saving to deal with shuttles or paying for a taxi/uber etc.. 

We have parked at Embassy suites hotel  a couple of times

the car was just fine  & cheaper  parking rates

We did leave it there for over 30 days each time  so getting the shuttle from the hotel & taxi back was still cheaper than parking at the port 

You have to do the math

No matter where you park DO NOT leave anything valuable in your car

29 minutes ago, hbe30 said:

I will be taking Brightline from Fort lauderdale to the miami station, then lyft back and forth. Cost is $80 including the train tickets, Lyft fares, and parking at Fort Lauderdale.

Thanks for the update.  BrightLine / Virgin Trains has advertised their indoor parking + train + Lyft special cruise package in the West Palm Beach media.  I'll be interested in hearing how your trip works out.

The Fort Lauderdale  BrightLine parking is in an eight story garage tower across the street from the train station.  Open 24/7, with a security person at the entrance.  The Miami Central Uber / Lyft location is under the train station, so the risk of rain is minimized there.

The usual parking practice is to download an app from BrightLine, and register your vehicle's license plate. When you arrive in the parking garage, you open the app, and take a picture of your car's rear license plate and the parking space ID on the floor.  That registers your vehicle for their security.  It's pretty easy.  I'm guessing the cruise package does something similar.

2 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Thanks for the update.  BrightLine / Virgin Trains has advertised their indoor parking + train + Lyft special cruise package in the West Palm Beach media.  I'll be interested in hearing how your trip works out.

The Fort Lauderdale  BrightLine parking is in an eight story garage tower across the street from the train station.  Open 24/7, with a security person at the entrance.  The Miami Central Uber / Lyft location is under the train station, so the risk of rain is minimized there.

The usual parking practice is to download an app from BrightLine, and register your vehicle's license plate. When you arrive in the parking garage, you open the app, and take a picture of your car's rear license plate and the parking space ID on the floor.  That registers your vehicle for their security.  It's pretty easy.  I'm guessing the cruise package does something similar.

Thank you for the helpful tips. I'm sailing Feb 1. i let you know how it works out.