AirBNB, bioluminescent bay, etc..

babyclaytonmom

I have been to San Juan several times as a port but this Feb will be on the Fascination and staying there for 3 days. Any recommendations for AirBnBs in old town? There are soooo many. Especially if you know of one that will let you drop your luggage in the a.m. even if you cant check in yet. Seems like the hotels are super expensive at the end of Feb. so looking to go the AirBNB route. 

Also, anyone use a specific company to go to the bioluminescent bay? One with transportation from the old town if possible. It would be for a Sunday or Monday night. Sunday preferrably (I see some are closed on Sun. or Mon.) because of the smaller moon.

This will be our honeymoon and am super excited to spend Sunday, Monday, and part of Tuesday exploring San Juan without having to worry about getting back to the ship at a certain time!

11 hours ago, babyclaytonmom said:

I have been to San Juan several times as a port but this Feb will be on the Fascination and staying there for 3 days. Any recommendations for AirBnBs in old town? There are soooo many. Especially if you know of one that will let you drop your luggage in the a.m. even if you cant check in yet. Seems like the hotels are super expensive at the end of Feb. so looking to go the AirBNB route. 

Also, anyone use a specific company to go to the bioluminescent bay? One with transportation from the old town if possible. It would be for a Sunday or Monday night. Sunday preferrably (I see some are closed on Sun. or Mon.) because of the smaller moon.

This will be our honeymoon and am super excited to spend Sunday, Monday, and part of Tuesday exploring San Juan without having to worry about getting back to the ship at a certain time!

February is still kind of in the peak of cruise season for PR and that's part of the reason hotels are so expensive, especially on weekends when most of cruiser arrive to eventually cruise on Sat. or Sun. I don't know specifically of any AirBnB that allows you to drop off luggage early but if you see a listing that appeals to you, you can send the owner a message and inquire. If none allow this, you can always take your luggage to Barrachina restaurant on Fortaleza street where they have free luggage storage starting at 9am, I think.

A quick search got me to four companies for the bio bay tour, of which three work Mondays but unly one on Sunday. Didn't see any with included transportation but they do have contact links for arranging it through the vendor. Consider renting a car since driving in PR is pretty straight forward (although signs are in Spanish) and you more than likely save on transportation cost plus you'll have the option of also going to places on the other side of the island like the Arecibo radio telescope and nearby Cueva Ventana (window cave).

I am going to Old San Juan this weekend and am staying at an Airbnb. It is managed by the same people that manage La Terraza Hotel so they let you drop your luggage there if you need, and they let you use the hotel pool.

I'll let you know how it went after I return on Nov 3.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 11:09 PM, Stinger-pr said:

February is still kind of in the peak of cruise season for PR and that's part of the reason hotels are so expensive, especially on weekends when most of cruiser arrive to eventually cruise on Sat. or Sun. I don't know specifically of any AirBnB that allows you to drop off luggage early but if you see a listing that appeals to you, you can send the owner a message and inquire. If none allow this, you can always take your luggage to Barrachina restaurant on Fortaleza street where they have free luggage storage starting at 9am, I think.

A quick search got me to four companies for the bio bay tour, of which three work Mondays but unly one on Sunday. Didn't see any with included transportation but they do have contact links for arranging it through the vendor. Consider renting a car since driving in PR is pretty straight forward (although signs are in Spanish) and you more than likely save on transportation cost plus you'll have the option of also going to places on the other side of the island like the Arecibo radio telescope and nearby Cueva Ventana (window cave).

Can I ask which one you found for a Sunday night? Thank you! I appreciate it!

On 10/24/2019 at 6:40 PM, Ms411 said:

I am going to Old San Juan this weekend and am staying at an Airbnb. It is managed by the same people that manage La Terraza Hotel so they let you drop your luggage there if you need, and they let you use the hotel pool.

I'll let you know how it went after I return on Nov 3.

Please do. Have a great trip!

I'm here now. The apartment is really nice - great location, super clean, not noisey, and good price. We went to the hotel property this morning, and it's beautiful. Pool is tiny, though, but we don't have time to use it. Our unit doesn't have a balcony and the windows have louvers so you can't see the ocean from the inside of the apartment. I think for a special occasion you might want to see if the host has a unit with a gorgeous view.

Here's a link to the host. Hope it works.

https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/26596628?c=.pi80.pkbWVzc2FnaW5nL25ld19tZXNzYWdl&euid=fd4abedf-13d2-b464-1bbd-2179dabdf47d

On 10/23/2019 at 11:09 PM, Stinger-pr said:

We are sailing out of SJ in December.  As Stinger suggested, find an Airbnb that you like and message the owner and ask.  We were in the same situation and asked if we can just drop off our bags and then come back later to check in.  They had no issues with that request.

We found an Airbnb in the Condado area which was cheaper than in Old SJ. It is a short taxi ride if you want to visit that area.